Author Topic: Anyone drink kefir regularly?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Anyone drink kefir regularly?
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
I discovered this a couple of months ago. It's a fermented dairy drink that is similar to yogurt and is actually mildly effervescent. It is an acquired taste, being a lot less sweet than yogurt, but I have become really enamored of it.

The story behind it is interesting as well. It is fermented using something called "kefir grains". The funny thing is that while these grains will grow in the kefir and can be  filtered out and used to start anothe rbatch of kefir, despite many attempts in laboratories, no one has yet been able to get them to form on their own under any conditions without a "seed" grain to get things started. Back before the western world got exposed to it, the grains were a closely guarded secret.

Now you can buy kefir in most grocery stores and you can even buy grains and make it yourself from milk.

I have been keeping a couple of bottles in the fridge and drink 4 to 8 ounces a day. It's really great stuff in the strawberry and blueberry flavored varieties and I think the unflavored variety would make a good base for sauces and dressings as well.

The really neat thing about it is the fermentation occurs close to room temperature and it is shelf stable for many days, so as a pack food it can go without refrigeration on cool days.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Anyone drink kefir regularly?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
I will have to look and see if your local store has any.  Never heard of it until now.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
I had HEARD of it through something I was reading long ago, but I was mistaken in it's origin.  I thought I read about it being used by the Mongols and it was made from yak milk or horse milk that had gone through a fermentation process. :P    Through a google search, it iturns out it is Russian in origin and has its roots in the Caucasus mountains.....and now, Wal-Mart has it in a strawberry flavor, too! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
Heard of it because of watching "Chopped" on the Food Network.  Never tried it.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
I have a heighbor who makes his own using a large crock pot.
and does his yogurt the same way as well.
thier are places you can buy kits to make it, you just have to save the mother,
that's that gob you'll find in the batch.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Here in middle Europe, it is actually quite common and in every supermarket you will find it next to the milk section.
Standard or with flavours, there is a wide variety available.
But I'm not a big fan of it, I bought it once by mistake and almost spit it out as I thought the milk had gone bad. Only then I realized I bought the wrong one :-)
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline RangerXanatos

• Whetstone +
  • Great Sexy Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:17:09 AM »
I have tried it a couple of times and am not a fan.  But supposed to help with stomach and mucous membrane health. 
"What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying 'I am?'"
~Rocky Balboa

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:50 AM »
I drink it daily. Good stuff and good for you
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
...But I'm not a big fan of it, I bought it once by mistake and almost spit it out as I thought the milk had gone bad. Only then I realized I bought the wrong one :-)

Well see, when I hear someone wanted to spit it out because it tasted like rotten milk,  my red flags go up.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Tony, I am the same way when I hear that it is an acquired taste sort of thing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
I'm interested in the fermented but fearful of funky taste to which I am unaccustomed. I don't drink a lot of milk. The brand I buy sure seems to remain fresh a long time, well past the date, and since I often sip-test the old before buying more maybe this will give me something to do. Thanks PW
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
I don't think it is an acquired taste as much as getting used to a fermented milk product. It can be kinda become carbonated. It is a texture thing.  I like most flavors, strawberry, peach, and vanilla go fast at our house. I find it good with granola instead of using milk. It is like liquid yogurt.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »
Getting used to is an acquired taste.      ;D
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
Well, I'm curious.....I just have to figure out HOW curious. :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
I don't think it is an acquired taste as much as getting used to a fermented milk product. It can be kinda become carbonated. It is a texture thing.  I like most flavors, strawberry, peach, and vanilla go fast at our house. I find it good with granola instead of using milk. It is like liquid yogurt.

Yeah it is something different. To me, it tastes a lot like yogurt without much sweetener. It's like the tangy element of yogurt elevated above the sweetness. It's thinner than yogurt and thicker than milk, and slightly effervescent from the fermentation. My favorite flavors are the blueberry and strawberry. I have a 6 ounce glass once a day. It's a real treat to me.

The first time I tried it I was unsure about it, but there is something about the taste that had me going back to it. I think it's the creaminess combined with the effervescence. It must be gaining popularity if the little grocery store in my town of 3000 stocks it.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 03:24:09 AM »
After almost a week I can see what you mean. It is a treat. I haven't drank it everyday though it could easily happen. Gotta go to the market today and hopefully this early am post will help make sure I get more.
Thanks for bringing up the topic.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
After almost a week I can see what you mean. It is a treat. I haven't drank it everyday though it could easily happen. Gotta go to the market today and hopefully this early am post will help make sure I get more.
Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Glad you like it, Unk. I finished a bottle of strawberry yesterday and I am thinking of trying the vanilla flavor next, unless the store gets more blueberry in.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
You guys know that on Alien Nation the aliens would get drunk on spoiled milk.

..Yer not from around here.  Are you?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 03:57:02 AM »
I'm going to have to take my snarkyness back.  Unbeknownst to me Kelly brought some home.  I wondered why she kept pestering me about drinking a smoothy this weekend.  Finally I saw the bottle in the fridge.  I poured a little into a glass.  It kinda came out in globs.  oh yum yum.  BUT  like Andrew Zimmern,  I will try almost...almost anything twice.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I've had much much worse.  (Left handed thumbs up?)  I think smoothies are definitely it's forte.  But a small glass of it won't choke me.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 05:09:59 AM »
I'm going to have to take my snarkyness back.  Unbeknownst to me Kelly brought some home.  I wondered why she kept pestering me about drinking a smoothy this weekend.  Finally I saw the bottle in the fridge.  I poured a little into a glass.  It kinda came out in globs.  oh yum yum.  BUT  like Andrew Zimmern,  I will try almost...almost anything twice.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I've had much much worse.  (Left handed thumbs up?)  I think smoothies are definitely it's forte.  But a small glass of it won't choke me.

I usually only drink a small glass at a time. I have been told it is great for the digestive system which is good for the immune system.
Nice matters

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »
"Shake Really Well." That's what's printed on my bottle. In the fruit flavored smoothie form it's downright tasty.

What about the natural raw form? Is it going to be like a: deli style honey ham vs. scraping mold off the dry cured ham, thing? I like both, but must have the latter in smaller portion. Oh sure, the country ham at Cracker Barrel taste good enough,though salty; it still misses the "is this stuff rotten" piquant of the real.

I see the grains are easy enough to find. I'm not going to hurry, though I will get some raw goat milk and try that.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:07 AM »

I'm going to have to go with Mad Max on this one,  in my experience some exotic foods sound great or look good in a picture, but in reality taste or smell funky,  with so many wonderful foods available to us these days I fail to see the draw to experiment with foods that just naturally offend the senses.
 When I feel the need to enjoy a dairy product with a creamy texture and lumps,  I look no further than Rocky Road ice cream or cottage cheese with chives spread on onion crackers, or flavored yogurt hits that spot just fine,  but milk artificially soured with the help of seeds I've never heard of is a bit of a put off for me, but then again I could never see the affection for Tofu that some have.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
I have yet to encounter lumps, but I've always shaken well as directed.  8)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:53 AM »
wait... you read directions?
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
wait... you read directions?

Yes, but less than I did before I had kids and realized every minute is precious.  ;D