Author Topic: JAPANESE POCKET KNIVES  (Read 1016 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
JAPANESE POCKET KNIVES
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »
This popped up on my phone this afternoon....

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/japanese-pocket-knives/

Any of you guys had any experience with them? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: JAPANESE POCKET KNIVES
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
No experience with any of the pocket knives.  I do have a small paring knife made by the last guy on the list, Mr. Itou.  Extremely well made, but certainly not cheap.  Here's a thread on it with some pics after somebody dropped it in the sink.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=9280.msg173471#msg173471
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »
I really like that Katsu knife.  The price isn't too bad for as good as it looks like it would work. 

That knife Nuke talked about in the other thread is also a nice one, and I too like it better after it was reground.  Nice job on it too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • A sunset is a lovely melody, heard only once
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »
Hi, Wolfy --

My dad gave me a Gerber PK2 in 1971 -- he was a foreign service officer serving in Vietnam, I was in the Navy, mostly in Vietnam waters.  It's been my EDC knife ever since, when I'm back in civilization.  When I'm out in hills or at our off-grid property, working or camping or hunting or hiking, I don't want to risk losing it, so I carry a Gerber Gator-Mate, smaller version of the Gator -- there's nothing wrong with the Gator (or even better, the Gator II), but they're too large for pocket carry.  The molded gator-grip handle covering is the best I've run across -- grippy, tacky, almost sticky in the hand, won't slip when wet or bloody.  I carried a Gator-Mate for 25 years until I finally wore the gator-grip rubber away -- I'd bought a replacement years back, to make sure I'd have one when the first one wore out.  ...And I still keep the ragged old one in my BOB, just in case.

...Got off the subject there, sorry.  Ever since I got the PK2 I've collected U.S.-made Gerber wood-scale folders from the late 60's, 70's, up to '84 (when Gerber sold out to Fiskars).  Along the way I also picked up a dozen or so of the small Japan-made Gerber/Sakai Silver Eagles (later renamed Silver Knights), made for Gerber by the Sakai family in the city of Sakai, just south of Osaka, from 1977 thru 1984.  I gave a couple to my sons...of course, I sharpen the knives for them.  The stainless steel is excellent, holds an edge well, and the bolsters/scales are of many varieties, all beautifully finished.  These are gentlemen's pocket knives, not heavy work knives, but the quality is superb.  They predisposed me to appreciate Japanese knives, Japanese steel, Japanese workmanship.

Years ago, I also picked up a couple of larger Japanese folders at gun-shows -- one of them was another Sakai product.  I couldn't read the Japanese characters on the other one, but it looked a lot like the second one in your linked article, the Saikai Higonokami Mini Knife.  Either of these could have been (but weren't) my EDC knife...they just didn't suit my taste.  I can say that both of them took a great edge quickly -- not the hardest steel, but I actually prefer a blade that isn't super hard -- much easier to sharpen, and I carry a steel to touch up my blades.

I'm guessing that any one of those eight knives would be quality products.  The last one is a bit pricey.  The Katsu is really impressive.  I note that four of them (including the Katsu) are of the higonokami variety.  From what I could google, this style showed up about 1895, and it looks to me like it was strongly influenced by our old folding razors, with a point like a stout Wharncliffe.  Good geometry.

6 phases of a project:  (1) baseless enthusiasm; (2) growing uneasiness & fear; (3) over budget & behind schedule; (4) search for the guilty; (5) blaming of the innocent; (6) praise and rewards for the nonparticipants.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »
all my Japanese knives are for the kitchen.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
Toshio Odate, either in his bookJapanese Tools.... Or maybe in an interview I read somewhere spoke of his fondness for higonokami since they remind him of his childhood as every boy (maybe girls too?) carried one to sharpen their pencils in school. Other than being sentimental it was a small commentary on tool use, responsibility and such. Since, after a very short time even the very youngest students became quite adept with the whittled points and only the kids from ninja families went around slashing others...not really. No one did
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »
Man wolfy.  I suppressed a powerful urge to buy a folder like those a few years ago.  Now you got me coveting again.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
Not really my style but I would like to check out. Might change my mind.
What a great day to be outside.