Author Topic: shakey the leather butcher  (Read 717 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
shakey the leather butcher
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:17:05 AM »
listening to the chuck burrows video.
he said that up to a third of the leather can end up as waste,
when i heard that i cringed at the thought, mind you that piece of hide cost some good money.
so far i don't envision  knocking out hundred dollar sheaths any time soon.
so how were your first sheaths, saleable or or no? focus seems to be needed here.
can i see some examples of first sheaths,hmm
intresting you can't buy experience on amazon or ebay, just the other stuff.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: shakey the leather butcher
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
You know, I bought an entire suitcase of leather and tools for cheap. I never did anything with it and gave it to my sister. I wonder if my brother inlaw would give it back?

Anyway, one way to get some good practice in for free is to rob the leather from old FURNITURE. Sometimes you can find an old sofa or chair in a ditch. Even if it's the fake leather, pleather or vinyl it would help you out with cutting and stitching. Hit a salvation army or goodwill for a cheap purse or even a coat or skirt. Think outside the box for a bit....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
While there is a lot of waste in leather work sheaths have to be on the low end of that.  Using a pattern you just lose the trim  areas so I would guess at most it is 10% to 15% and less if your pattern is a bushcraft pouch.

The toughest thing for me is getting the stitching perfect, so tough I have not gotten it yet.  It's difficult to get the holes equally spaced and at the proper angle through the three layers of leather.  That is why you made a stitching pony and with practice and a good drill you'll get it.  I have not made anything I would sell someone.  If fact I have not made one that I would give somebody either.  But they work for me.   :P

Of the sheaths I have only one is absolutely perfect on spacing and angle.  It came from Dano.  He knows what he is doing.  Other folks on the forum may be as good but I have not held their sheaths in my hand yet.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »
I've had one come out with a bit of a twist because the spacing was off one side to the other. I use a lacing chisel. And now make sure I get the sides lined up. From the stitch groove prick 1/2 way around. Start the other side the same. Then make a welt and prick those holes.

I used to not glue, but now I do. Using several needles to locate and square/ line up the welt, I glue one side then the other. Sometimes it needs an awl to help the needles pass. My first sheaths are the sheaths I still use.

Some are a bit odd with no belt loop-lol- Wolfy has some kind of joke about that of his own which I wish he'd explain.
Not sure that helps but that's how I do it. Been meaning to get a diamond pricking iron for a long time. Only recently did I see there are Chinese copies of the French style.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
I think the 1/3 figure is a high estimate regarding waste. Waste will be higher initially due to mistakes, do-overs, etc. but as you gain more experience, waste should decrease. When cutting sheath size pieces out of a single or double shoulder, you'll learn to minimize waste. For example, a scar or flaw in the leather can be the section you fold over for a belt loop and it hides the flaw. Sometimes a brand or other scar can add some character. If you mess up a stitch row, save it and use it as a welt or something later. Save trimmings to use as retention straps, spacer pieces, laces and so on. I save scraps down to about 1 1/4 x 1 3/4" for use on stacked leather handles.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
Some are a bit odd with no belt loop-lol- Wolfy has some kind of joke about that of his own which I wish he'd explain.

Since I wear bib-overalls, I don't have much use for a belt loop.   Never said I didn't add them to my sheaths, though.  Retaining loops or straps are what I thoroughly disdain and never add to any of my sheaths.  To me, a properly fitted sheath does not require them.  Retaining straps get cut easily if you don't use both hands to sheathe or unsheathe, are always in the way and if they come unsnapped or you forget to snap them in the first place, you could lose the knife.  I hate 'em! >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
Does Mr Burrows talk about orientation of pattern pieces with the hide? Also with loss if you buy the side you get the belly that isn't much good and thin spots creases that never look right. 1/3 sounds high I've always been very miserly.

If you add a button you could hang your sheath from that Wolfy. Yeah. I never did get the joke but since I've made a few with no belt loop I remembered. A couple times I extended the welt far enough past the mouth to fold over to make a loop. Probably not a thing many would favor but has worked out.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »
Try these guys for leather.....

https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/piece_form/

They've got all kinds of stuff for leather-related projects in there....spend some time and look around.  Don't cost nuthin' to look! ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
There are some leathers there to make you go hmmm.... maybe I do need to try veg sheep skin shoes. Coffee bags? I like that they discuss temper, but who'd want to make a rifle case from chrome tan? I didn't see much for sheaths or  spend a lot of time looking at the related stuff...maybe later