Author Topic: salt in your survival food  (Read 1775 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
salt in your survival food
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:38:15 AM »
i post this thread cause many here including myself
are past middle age. and as much as we would like
are not as active as back in the day so to speak.
survival foods be they MRE"s or freeze dry or dehydreyted.
are replete with sodium. levels as high as 2,700mg per meal.
ammounts vary by brand, meal, and type as in freezed dry or all the rest.
hypertention is no joke nor general high blood presure.
so how do we cut the salt and still enjoy the meals?
more rice what, most of these meals are already based around
rice or some other cheap pasta filler.
many of these meals are sold as emergency foods, and disclamers
or whatnot say they are not ment for long term eating,
ok but what if that's all you have ,more water what. wear your wrist
bp cuff while you eat,lol.i can see it now some guy and the wife are
down at the lake eating thier past primavara and george say's to the wife
dear that was really tasty let's make some tomorrow night.
then 20'minutes later ol'george says honey i don't feel so well then slumps over dead as a post.

so do we just get more active split the meal in 1/2?
so any thoughts out there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:52:16 AM by hayshaker »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: salt in your survival food
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
  I couldn't hope to make a guess at the number of threads I've read over the last ten or so years that beg the same kind of questions about Food, cookware, or the different methods employed for cooking or warming the foods we eat either every day or only occasionally.
  I can't prove it of course but I think most of our fears are self generated, by our starting a conversation about the potential dangers of using Aluminum cookware we plant a seed if doubt in peoples minds that really doesn't need to be worried about,  no, using cast iron pans won't give you iron poisoning.
 We read all sorts of articles in medical journals, Woman's Day, and National Geographic about how salt, sugar, eggs, red meat, pork, lard, and vegetable oils will eventually kill you, for years I bought margarine as a butter substitute until some kill joy wrote an article in Better Homes & Garden telling me that margarine was originally invented as a rat poison, so I changed back to real butter in hopes of delaying my death a few more years,  by clogging my arteries with butter fat rather than getting cancer from the margarine.
  The real truth is that we all begin to die the minute we exit the womb,  every breath we take, every bite of food, every time we inhale smoke or gas fumes, or grill a steak on our charcoal grill we take in things that are harmful to us,  there's absolutely no way to avoid these things and continue to live, everyone needs water, food, and air to exist,  how long we last is dependent on our genes and DNA, how we take care of ourselves, and fate or luck depending on how you define it.
  The key in my opinion is to take all things in moderation,  be it food, work, worry, or recreation,  live your life enjoying everything you like in moderation,  cut out worrying about what's going to eventually kill you,  you'll find that out soon enough,  but until then,  enjoy every minute you have allotted to you. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
I know people who when the meds run out and the pharmacy closes, will die.  Maybe not right then but sooner than later.   Of all the stuff that could kill me in a SHTF,  salt just isn't a blip om my radar.

... my wife doesn't agree.  lol.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
Isn't the answer in your title?

I thought those things were short term solutions to provide calories. Though, in truth, not too different than the crap on store shelves. My goal is to eat like a share cropper.

Its almost like the research pushed or supported the transition from fresh local food to processed transported food. It's all a really big centralized scam. We subsidize all the mega corporations so they can create new ways to enslave us. Being a well fed slave is an easy life. By well fed, I don't  mean with Good Food. That would keep you from enjoying the full product line which includes the medical pharmaceutical insurance industries.

I would type more but I have to drive 20 miles to get another bag of Cheetos and loaf of bread

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Isn't the answer in your title?

I thought those things were short term solutions to provide calories. Though, in truth, not too different than the crap on store shelves. My goal is to eat like a share cropper.

Its almost like the research pushed or supported the transition from fresh local food to processed transported food. It's all a really big centralized scam. We subsidize all the mega corporations so they can create new ways to enslave us. Being a well fed slave is an easy life. By well fed, I don't  mean with Good Food. That would keep you from enjoying the full product line which includes the medical pharmaceutical insurance industries.

I would type more but I have to drive 20 miles to get another bag of Cheetos and loaf of bread

Isn't that a cop out really,  the food industry like all for profit motivated industries are tuned to the wants and whims of the society that it serves,  I will concede that the food industry strives to make foods look better, taste better, and be more affordable,  sometimes at the cost of healthy, but the bottom line is that it's the consumer that molds the market.
  If there's any entity responsible for trying to manipulate the food market or food use it's those who think they have a mandate to save society from itself,  examples are easy enough to find, one only need to look to New York's law which limits how many ounces of soft drink can be served to a buyer at one time,  or those who had all the vending machines taken out of schools and other municipal buildings to keep people from purchasing candy bars, chips, or brownies,  and had soft drink machines replaced with vending machines that dispense bottled water.
  While I can agree than people should be more careful about what they eat,  it's nobodies business but their own, an no ones right to force them to eat differently.
  Everyone I know that over 40 yrs. old laments the loss of mom & pop grocery stores, local farms, and farm stands,  everyone hates corporate farms, animal warehousing, and processed foods,  but the fact remains that small local family run farms and mom & pop stores can no longer supply the food needs of 330 million people in this country or of close to 9 Billion world wide,  and they sure as hell can't do it at the prices that we pay for our food today.

As far as the pharmaceutical industry goes, we'd all be hard pressed if the best medicines we had to depend on were the snake oils of times past,  the average life span of an adult would still 45~55 years,  I agree that the cost of health care, medications, and insurance is ridiculous,  but then again the cost of R&D to develop, test, and produce that new technology is in itself out of sight,  some think that all of those industries should be owned by or subsidized by the gov. and made non profit,  it's no secret that the Gov. can't find it's ass with two hands and a road map, just take a look at the VA for example.
  It's a well known fact that the private sector free market motivated by profit is the best problem solver on the planet,  the gov. and non profit are at the very bottom of the can do list.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
i post this thread cause many here including myself
are past middle age. and as much as we would like
are not as active as back in the day so to speak.
survival foods be they MRE"s or freeze dry or dehydreyted.
are replete with sodium. levels as high as 2,700mg per meal.
ammounts vary by brand, meal, and type as in freezed dry or all the rest.
hypertention is no joke nor general high blood presure.
so how do we cut the salt and still enjoy the meals?
more rice what, most of these meals are already based around
rice or some other cheap pasta filler.
many of these meals are sold as emergency foods, and disclamers
or whatnot say they are not ment for long term eating,
ok but what if that's all you have ,more water what. wear your wrist
bp cuff while you eat,lol.i can see it now some guy and the wife are
down at the lake eating thier past primavara and george say's to the wife
dear that was really tasty let's make some tomorrow night.
then 20'minutes later ol'george says honey i don't feel so well then slumps over dead as a post.

so do we just get more active split the meal in 1/2?
so any thoughts out there.

How long do you expect to survive on MRE's and or long term survival food,  in my opinion very few working class families have the funds to purchase and store years worth of pre packaged processed foods even if it's just grains, personally if I thought I had to survive for the next couple of years or more on beans and rice and ground wheat my choice might be to just be one of the first ones to go.
  I've used MRE's as trail food and kept a half dozen packages in my camper for those times when the fishing was good and we decided to stay for the weekend, and if they weren't so expensive I'd still be buying them for that reason,  but MRE's can be thanked for all the freeze dried just add water foods on the super market shelves that rarely cost over a buck each.
  As far as emergency rations,  my pantry holds a few months worth of normal dried packaged and canned foods that we are used to, that can be prepared in a large variety of ways and that won't be boring,  best of all we get to scan the ingredients to make sure that it will serve our needs while being healthy,  we do have a small store of long term shelf life food from Patriot Foods that don't have a long list of stuff you can't pronounce in the ingredients.
  Most canned foods have a two year shelf life, some longer,  as long as you rotate your stock two years is a long time to have to make adjustments to your future plans. 

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Oh come on Moe. Do you really believe all that? We do not have a free market. The gov does subsidize A Lot. No one provides a full cost accounting for anything.

The estimation of life span is really a silly guess meant to serve an agenda. Before accurate records were universal how could they really know? The number is low because infant mortality was high, and war.

Why is population so high? In the US we keep bringing more in. Now we have to support them at first world standards- which we hear has huge environmental impacts. Leaving them where they are born is the green thing to do. Obviously if there is not enough food in any environment any given population must decrease. It's not that we don't have enough food; we have too much.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
We store foods that, for the most part, are just stuff we buy at the local market.  Rice and beans, a couple of bags of wheat, big bag of flour, and the like.  We rotate canned goods and have a few long term foods from the Mormon warehouse and a few from one of the survival food sites.  As long as we have water and a bit of wood we can eat pretty well.

I figure, like Moe, it is a short term thing.  I am not worried about eating too much salt in a scenario that has us eating our survival rations with no end it sight due to some catastrophe that occured.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
     We do pretty good with prep but definitely not for long time.  It's mostly easy one pot meals from the grocery store (rotated during campouts) and some Patriot Supply stuff.  We like everything in the pantry to a point.  Nobody wants Knorr's stuff everyday but we can do it.  I get a little more put away every month.  Balancing survival food allowance with ammo.

I really really really don't want to live in a country that imploded like Venezuela.  We just had gang bangers shoot it out on one side of town yesterday.  Drive over to the other and shoot it out.  And back again.  I never thought I would see that here.  And if you think the gunfire will subside when the shelves are empty...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
A few months back I cleaned out the pantry of most of the stored beans and rice. It was not that great. Day in/out we don't eat rice too often with meals. I'll make a few pots of beans during the winter, some baked beans in summer for bbq. So I don't eat beans much either.

Looking for a new plan
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Oh come on Moe. Do you really believe all that? We do not have a free market. The gov does subsidize A Lot. No one provides a full cost accounting for anything.

The estimation of life span is really a silly guess meant to serve an agenda. Before accurate records were universal how could they really know? The number is low because infant mortality was high, and war.

Why is population so high? In the US we keep bringing more in. Now we have to support them at first world standards- which we hear has huge environmental impacts. Leaving them where they are born is the green thing to do. Obviously if there is not enough food in any environment any given population must decrease. It's not that we don't have enough food; we have too much.

LOL, If I didn't believe what I say I wouldn't say it,  three things I can't abide are people who lie, people who steal, and people who Bittch about the very systems of Government and Capitalism which allows them to thrive in a country that affords even the poor to live a better lifestyle than the wealthy in many other industrialized nations of the world.
  A clue to what I'm saying is that when one considers that there are a lot more people trying to get into this country from around the world than that are trying to leave it for some place better,  the reason could be that with all our warts we're still the best country and have the best opportunity for people to achieve their dreams of a better life there is, if you can't recognize that I suggest you do some more meditation and reflection,  if that doesn't work for you then perhaps a move to somewhere else in this world that suits you better may be worth considering,  though I'm sorry I can't help you with any suggestions, I really can't think of any place better than what we have here,  but then again I've always been a the glass is half full kind of guy anyway,  always thankful for what I have as opposed to hateful for what I don't. 

For an academic you sure are miss informed,  it's not that we have too much food, we have enough here in this country for now,  many places in the rest of the world are not as well off,  but make no mistake, the reason we have enough to support our population is because of new technology in food production such a warehousing, hybrid seeds, GMO's,  that allow for hardier plants that produce more and have longer growing seasons,  new advances in protein production that increases production and reduces cost.
  If we still counted on small family farms for our food needs we'd have gone into starvation mode a long time ago, I suggest that you jump into your car and take a ride in the country and look for family farms that are producing enough product to feed the local population at super market prices and still able to make a modest living,  chances are what you'll find is housing developments or industrial parks on the land that once was farmed.

It's all too easy to blame government, corporations, and the wealthy for those things that we want and don't have because we can't afford them,  expecting life to be fair only breeds contempt for those who have more than you do,  but we weren't all born with the same opportunities, skills, or smarts,  that's the reality of life, the best anyone can do is make the best use of the opportunities that they've been given and be thankful for what they have.   

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
And yet you used margarine for years...
 Probably not a product that existed in the wants and whims of society prior to industry discovering some use for its waste products and demand created through funded studies and advertising.

I think you are responding to some kind of cue words that cause a pantomime response. I don't believe multinational corporations have my best interests at heart. I feel perfectly justified in complaining and imagining that things should be/can be/will be better.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
And yet you used margarine for years...
 Probably not a product that existed in the wants and whims of society prior to industry discovering some use for its waste products and demand created through funded studies and advertising.

I think you are responding to some kind of cue words that cause a pantomime response. I don't believe multinational corporations have my best interests at heart. I feel perfectly justified in complaining and imagining that things should be/can be/will be better.

That's true,  I did use margarine for years, mostly because of cost,  when you're young, are a blue collar worker, and trying to support a new family you try very hard to give your family the most you can for the least possible cost in the hope of making your money go further (which is why Walmart and the dollar stores have been so successful), margarine was half the price of real butter and served the same purpose,  and after a while you get used to the subtle differences in taste,  today of course the difference in price between the two is not as great and the fact that I can better afford real butter allows me to enjoy the real thing.
  But,  I'm sure that since the advent of the marketing of margarine many a household has appreciated being able to enjoy the benefit of that same industrialized waste byproduct rather than having to do without because they couldn't afford real butter.
  Understand, I don't begrudge your imagining or your complaining, whether it's justified or not is another topic for another time,  you certainly have every right to do so,  but please don't feel slighted by those who don't agree with your vision of how things should be/could be/or will be in your world,  most people are realist and learn to adapt to the environment around them in real time,  others spend a lifetime trying unsuccessfully to change the world in the way their imagination believes it should be, the first group is usually well adjusted and content,  the second tend to be relegated to general unhappiness and complaining.

By the way, there's no charge for this session Unk.  (grin)     

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:09:08 AM »

Getting back to original intent,  with sugar and salt being natural preservatives I'm pretty sure that many of the processed foods that we purchase today have more salt in them than we actually need,  or that is needed for taste, the same goes for sugar in products like cookies and other packaged sweets, it does go a long way in increasing shelf life,  and probably helps to mask the flavor of what ever chemical preservatives are used in the product.
  If the amount of salt, sugar, or other ingredients in processed packaged food is a problem purchasing an inexpensive food dehydrator and making your own "survival food" may be the answer to your problem.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
Moe, of course we all have to get through, making the best of what we have. It is adorable the way you try to use emotion as a blue collar with family, and the other images you paint as well. It's nice.

What seems scary to me is the, Brave New World, slaves who absolutely love their enslavement, adoration you express when you head into one of these teaching moments. It's obvious that you are confident in the value of your opinions, however, I would say you have over-valued the cost of thesesessions even at- no charge.
 "The choice for mankind is between happiness and freedom and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is the better" ~George Orwell

It's not that I dwell on the authors mentioned, only in listening to you talk did the images come to mind. You said something like; we could have this rather than doing without... my god. Imagine that? Choosing to go without. That explains a great deal actually. So while there are many young people that blame the boomer generation for this kind of thinking/ postponing actual costs of their actions beyond their life spans so they can have more and more(even if it is kinda crappy stuff) I don't blame because I am not that young and realize it was all new, and unlikely you could have known. At this point no one is immune.

No begrudge? Isn't that the opposite of "can't abide"? For someone with no begrudging you sure do go on. Fear not, because I can tease the facts from your prism of logic and will be here to help you along the path. So remember, it's only grass fed butter you want. We have to learn as we go, and I'm going> peaceout
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »
Yeah....if I had to abide by my old buddy Moe's 'rules-of-order,' I would never have enjoyed tasting Mom's Baked Macaroni and PASTEURIZED PROCESSED CHEESE PRODUCT ever again! :taunt:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
Yeah....if I had to abide by my old buddy Moe's 'rules-of-order,' I would never have enjoyed tasting Mom's Baked Macaroni and IMITATION PASTEURIZED PROCESSED CHEESE PRODUCT ever again! :taunt:

There ya go Bud, fixed it for you.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
Moe, of course we all have to get through, making the best of what we have. It is adorable the way you try to use emotion as a blue collar with family, and the other images you paint as well. It's nice.

What seems scary to me is the, Brave New World, slaves who absolutely love their enslavement, adoration you express when you head into one of these teaching moments. It's obvious that you are confident in the value of your opinions, however, I would say you have over-valued the cost of thesesessions even at- no charge.
 "The choice for mankind is between happiness and freedom and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is the better" ~George Orwell

It's not that I dwell on the authors mentioned, only in listening to you talk did the images come to mind. You said something like; we could have this rather than doing without... my god. Imagine that? Choosing to go without. That explains a great deal actually. So while there are many young people that blame the boomer generation for this kind of thinking/ postponing actual costs of their actions beyond their life spans so they can have more and more(even if it is kinda crappy stuff) I don't blame because I am not that young and realize it was all new, and unlikely you could have known. At this point no one is immune.

No begrudge? Isn't that the opposite of "can't abide"? For someone with no begrudging you sure do go on. Fear not, because I can tease the facts from your prism of logic and will be here to help you along the path. So remember, it's only grass fed butter you want. We have to learn as we go, and I'm going> peaceout

That's probably the best choice you've made of late,  I have no hope that you will recognize the logic in my words or the foolishness of your own,  it would be a shame to scuttle this thread by arguing political ideologies any further.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
Moe I'm not sure why you thought it was necessary or okay to start in trying to teach me. My initial comments were in support of your belief that margarine was developed as rat poison. Why you want to switch up on me and defend it-I don't know. The PoL I guess?  All that you said doesn't actually go to prove anything. You stated some opinions- you prefer food to be inexpensive (me too) you don't like snake oil( never tried it) other than that you sound universalist and a bit liberal. I'm sure it's harmless. So let's drop it.

That set aside you are onto where we should be going, and what we should be talking about- preserving your own food. Me, I want to start doing meat. I am a bit nervous about it, and feel the need to study-up on botulism.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
My initial comments were in support of your belief that margarine was developed as rat poison.

I recently read that Napoleon III started margarine by ordering a "butter" to be made from beef tallow for the army and the lower classes of citizens.

Modern margarine is mostly vegetable oil and water.  No mention of rat poison. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
My initial comments were in support of your belief that margarine was developed as rat poison.

I recently read that Napoleon III started margarine by ordering a "butter" to be made from beef tallow for the army and the lower classes of citizens.

Modern margarine is mostly vegetable oil and water.  No mention of rat poison.

I eat kale in all it's mind numbing taste-less ways, curtail my red meat consumption, only eat sausage once a week. I eat my granola cereal like a good boy, stay away from sugar,  but i will be flogged before i give up butter. No offense to my farmer friends but absolutely nobody can grow a corn that tastes like butter and they never will
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »
No need to apologize, Orbean.  Dairymen are farmers, too, and even though I was a grain farmer, we still use butter instead of margarine........be sides, their cows eat my corn.  Good trade! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
Seems like this thread took a turn from "salt" to other things, so I'll try and get it back on track.

All you need is "Love" ;)

Ok, my sour joke aside, I did learn something from living in the middle east for 39 months, you can survive on Bread, Water, Rice, Beans and Tea. It may not be pleasurable, but you can control your salt intake and have nourishment.

That's all the body needs, if we were to go back in time, look at what our relatives ate in their time... Just something to ponder.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »
For me it was never about Salt per se. I eat plenty of salt. I try to keep processed food to a minimum. The human body is a marvel of resilience so of course it can keep going on less than ideal fuel. To me there is a bit of difference between virile and vigorous and oh crap I'm alive.

Overall I would have to believe my ancestors must have enjoyed a diet that was: not too bad I can imagine, much like my current situation, this time of year the pantry was looking lean.
    They probably had deeper concerns. Mine can be solved buying imported veg at the market.
                                                  -Unknown