Author Topic: Unexpected Sources  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Unexpected Sources
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
Information comes in some strange ways. Found this cookbook in the culinary section of a bookstore, not the outdoor-survivalist-prepper section.
Anyone for a nice bowl of purslane?

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Vegan-Cookbook-Supermarket-Preparing/dp/1558327215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517370412&sr=8-1&keywords=Wild+Vegan+Cookbook

We got this book because we forage in our backyard quite often, and this is loaded with recipes to turn "WTH is that?" into "Yumm! Is there any left?"
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Unexpected Sources
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
    This brings to mind the time when one of us tried to get Green Deane of "Eat the Weeds" to come talk to the Kracs about wild edibles.  I was thinking a field day.  He declined because sometimes in some areas of FL there are very few wild edibles.  When he had a class he would pick the time and place and advertise.  Now he was not wanting to waste our time and money for very few plants.  That was decent of him.

An aside.  One urban park he listed was very inviting except for all the dog owners from the neighborhood walked their dogs there.  Yum Yum!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
As a forager, one of the things I invested in was a good quality, well-reviewed UV flashlight. One of UV's prime uses is to detect urine stains. Works equally well for making sure the purslane, plantain, etc. you are about to harvest hasn't been contaminated.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
As a forager, one of the things I invested in was a good quality, well-reviewed UV flashlight. One of UV's prime uses is to detect urine stains. Works equally well for making sure the purslane, plantain, etc. you are about to harvest hasn't been contaminated.

Would have never given that a thought....
Where did you come up with that?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »

Would have never given that a thought....
Where did you come up with that?
First off, we had an incontinent cat...and a new carpet. LOL!
Secondly, with an additional chemical, blood will show up under UV light.  (Learned that in my CSI training)
Certain insects (bedbugs, scorpions, etc.) will glow in the dark under UV light.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
According to a recent TV Cheetos ad, so will the incriminating, evidential Cheetos 'dust!' :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
According to a recent TV Cheetos ad, so will the incriminating, evidential Cheetos 'dust!' :lol:
Knowing what I know, that's the LAST thing I'd want to advertise in my product. Certain chemicals and drugs fluoresce, as well as compounds found in detergents and dyes.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Soooo...When Bear Grylls squeezes water out elephant poop....or drinks his own urine....he should check it first?
Might be some nasties in it.......

Bazinga....Soor could resist...
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Soooo...When Bear Grylls squeezes water out elephant poop....or drinks his own urine....he should check it first?
Might be some nasties in it.......

Bazinga....Soor could resist...
Ya think, DiNozzo?   :D

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
I have one of his books. I thought I had his website bookmarked but didn't find it.

On topic here's the pages I did have saved for some winter leisure browsing.

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/about.aspx

https://www.foragersharvest.com/

http://www.eattheweeds.com/

Here is a wild card I found and forgot about. My saved link 404'd but this one works. Great company in Kansas. Harry J Epstein co.  TOOLS!!!!!!!!

https://www.harryepstein.com/
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

...kelly can kill a bag of Cheetos so fast it'll make your head spin.  i didn't say that.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »

...kelly can kill a bag of Cheetos so fast it'll make your head spin.  i didn't say that.

Liz can, too!  There ain't no dust.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 02:37:16 PM »
Original Cheetos are one of my wife's favorite food groups.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »
Mine too OP.  She eats them right out of the bag and if you want any you'd better be quick.

I hate them.  They make my lips orange.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »
Mine too OP.  She eats them right out of the bag and if you want any you'd better be quick.

I hate them.  They make my lips orange.
I'm glad I'm past the age where I care what color my lip are. Unless of course they're blue. In which case, call the morgue.