Author Topic: Distilled water?  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Distilled water?
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »
I know a lot of folks filter their home water, up to and including whole-house reverse osmosis filtering systems.
But I'm wondering how many people here have gone to using distilled water exclusively?
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Distilled water?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
I'm on a well and I have great water, but it doesn't play well with my humidifier so in the winter time, I distill water almost daily.  Bought a distillation unit from ebay.  Can make about 4 gallons of distilled water a day, but usually only make one.  I don't drink distilled water.  Opinions/research conclusions vary on the internet, but distilled water is not healthy for you in the long term IMO.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm on a well and I have great water, but it doesn't play well with my humidifier so in the winter time, I distill water almost daily.  Bought a distillation unit from ebay.  Can make about 4 gallons of distilled water a day, but usually only make one.  I don't drink distilled water.  Opinions/research conclusions vary on the internet, but distilled water is not healthy for you in the long term IMO.
As you say, opinions vary on drinking distilled water. For decades I believed the myth that distilled water would leach needed chemicals from your body. But when you get into the aspects of osmosis and positive/negative ionization relationship, 90% of the trace minerals you need come from your food diet. Pure (distilled) water can actually compliment any other detox regimens you may use. Again, IMO.
I recently ordered a meter to test water for dissolved compounds.  "Zero" on its scale indicates pure water. Any other reading tells you how many ppm any contaminates comprise.  It doesn't tell you what it is, just that it's there.  It's a good indication of just how polluted any water source is.   I'm looking forward to testing rain water. LOL!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
Like Nuke, we have very good well water here, too.  It is tested according to state law on a weekly basis.  An analysis is available at the city hall, as well as being published at least 2 times/year in the local paper.  There are minerals in it that require the use of a water softener if you want to keep from plugging up the wicks on your humidifier, but there are no appreciable amounts of any contaminants that could be called worrisome.  We drink water from the kitchen sink faucet that is plumbed in ahead of the softener.....no worries. 8) 

I do not intend to distill any of our water in the near future, but we needed several gallons of it recently for a medical device that was being used for the benefit of a family member, so we were buying what was labeled as 'distilled water' at the grocery store.  It wasn't.  It left a coating behind in the reservoir of the device.  That suggests to me that if you truly NEED pure distilled water, you have to distill it yourself to be absolutely certain that it actually is. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
You guys with wells are indeed fortunate!
Gold fish, and even Betas can't live in our tap water, even after de-chlorinating.
I saw a demonstration using the dissolved solids meter I mentioned where they tested "pure water" (bottled) from several different brands. Might as well be drinking mud. I saw a documentary a few years ago showing "spring water" bottles being filed from a garden hose.
We've purchased several gallons of distilled water from the market, and I can't wait to test them when the device arrives.
I have a carbon filtration system on my refrigerator that supposedly filters the water for drinking and ice.  I'm tired of pouring my light rum-on-the-rocks, and when the ice melts there are white particulates swimming in the bottom of my glass!
I've researched several filter systems over the years, and even reverse osmosis units sill let stuff pass.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
BTW, if one needs to distill water (as Wolfy did), it is very easily done with a home pressure cooker, or canner.  The efficiency is only limited by how cold you can get the collection tube, or coil.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
We use distilled water for a few things around the house but since we are on a county water system that is our primary water for cooking, drinking, and bathing.  Our distilled water is probably the same stuff that Wolfy was using but I haven't looked to see if it leaves behind any residue. 

I had a distiller for awhile that I got at an auction.  Nobody wanted it so I got for a couple of bucks, bought $30 worth of parts and after making a few gallons put it on Ebay and sold it. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »
Sorry, Ol'P, I couldn't help myself......

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
Thanks, Wolfy, but what I find interesting is that Kubrick was trying to warn us, through the entertainment media (like so many others on different subjects) about fluoridation.
I won't go into the nuts and bolts of how/why fluoridation was forced upon us, but suffice it to say that the Nazis used fluoride in the drinking water to dumb down and make the populations of their concentration camps docile and accepting of their circumstances. Non-rebelious, if you will.
Think about it...research it.

You're old enough to remember how so many communities fought against fluoridating their water supply decades ago. They knew. But it happened anyway, right down to dentists insisting they give children fluoride treatments to "protect their teeth".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:32:37 AM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
We use distilled water for a few things around the house but since we are on a county water system that is our primary water for cooking, drinking, and bathing.  Our distilled water is probably the same stuff that Wolfy was using but I haven't looked to see if it leaves behind any residue. 

I had a distiller for awhile that I got at an auction.  Nobody wanted it so I got for a couple of bucks, bought $30 worth of parts and after making a few gallons put it on Ebay and sold it.
At 1 liter per hour production rate (the unit we ordered), it could be a real PITA to provide enough water for all our uses. We do make our own herbal infusions and decoctions, so it will get some use for that purpose, also.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
As I recall, there was a movement at the State level, that would mandate the fluoridation of all publicly available water back in my youth.  Saner minds prevailed and it never happened.....which adds credence to my opinion that NEBRASKA ain't too bad. ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
As I recall, there was a movement at the State level, that would mandate the fluoridation of all publicly available water back in my youth.  Saner minds prevailed and it never happened.....which adds credence to my opinion that NEBRASKA ain't too bad. ;D
In WA there were actual demonstrations and sign-carrying protests against fluoridation.  As with most things in WA, sane minds DID NOT prevail.  :pissed:

Nationally, "they" directed the efforts to put it in toothpaste, dental treatments and some other products.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »
It never occurred to me to drink distilled water when so many other distillations were available. Hmmm?

OP if you haven't before; how about a post on some of your favorite decoctions, infusions?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
All this fluoride and my teeth still rotted.  It just ain't right.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
It never occurred to me to drink distilled water when so many other distillations were available. Hmmm?

OP if you haven't before; how about a post on some of your favorite decoctions, infusions?
:lol: :cheers:

Most of our infusions right now are oils. Rosemary and garlic in particular.  At age 72 the doctor told me yesterday my BP was 122/68.  She said I was pretty normal...for a 20 year old. We eat fresh garlic whenever possible (roasted, in sauces, as spreads when cooked, etc.)

As for decoctions, the main one (in season) is lavender water.  Lavender, especially the essential oil, is highly antiseptic. It's one choice if a person has chronic blemishes, etc.

My daughter is the oil expert. She's a distributor for Young Living.  She gave me a mixture she calls "Sleepy Time" that you spray around and on your pillow. I don't know if it works, but I'm now sleeping a solid 8 hrs with no potty breaks.  :P

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
All this fluoride and my teeth still rotted.  It just ain't right.
My dear friend's (may he R.I.P.) son and wife are vegans.  Both of them have terrible dental/gum issues.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
OP, every year you should be receiving a CCR (Consumer Confidence Report) from your public water system.  It should tell you all about the water you're paying for/consuming.  See if you can find yours here:

https://ofmpub.epa.gov/apex/safewater/f?p=136:102

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
OP, every year you should be receiving a CCR (Consumer Confidence Report) from your public water system.  It should tell you all about the water you're paying for/consuming.  See if you can find yours here:

Does me no good. I found my CCR sites quite easily. Only gives name of contact. They lie about everything.  In the past I found a site that gave all the test results for our water system, how many times they had been "out of compliance" and what was found in the water. I've since lost the link to that site.  Yearly report in the mail? Ha!  We're talking Boondocks, Montana here. They've been working for 4 years just to upgrade our waste water system.  Drinking water? Might as well go dip it out of the river. At least that way we wouldn't have it coming out of the tap smelling of chloramine.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »
I have a well and city water is on our road I'm just not connecting to it.

Only use distilled in the radiators of my toys. I tried drinking it once from a gallon jug, just could not swallow it. Dry is my best description.

I have been drinking smart water, distilled then electrolytes added back in. It's good, I'm no smarter though.... :shrug:
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:13 PM »
There are additive blends you can add to the water you home distill to improve the taste. I just haven't located any sources I trust yet.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »
Sorry, Ol'P, I couldn't help myself......

That's why I only drink distilled water and pure grain alcohol

Our city water (from a small utility district) tastes ok. We buy and use distilled water in the coffee maker. 
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
My Dad was that way. If I recall, his words were....

"I don't drink water. Fish crap in it, and ducks fornicate in it."

("Fornicate" and "crap" weren't the words he used, but you get the drift...)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 05:33:01 AM »
I get the drift... LOL!
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »
WC Fields made also made a fish "&^*#"  in it comment.   His granddaughter says he really said "I don't drink water because you know what fish do in it."
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
Fields was more than irreverent. I guess that's why my Dad quoted him so much. LOL.
He used WC's signature line quite a bit in his work shop. "Go away, kid, ya bother me."  Hahaha

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
  From what I have read distilled water is not as healthy for you than plain tap water,  I have no idea why.

I've lived most of my life so far not far from where I was born and raised and our municipal water supply comes from deep water wells, it's always been great until about five years ago,  for what ever reason it's been getting a strong Chlorine taste,  some days are worse than others but it's always there,  our water dept. says it's normal,  I don't think they're being honest about it.
  About 10 years ago I started using a filtered water container that we keep in the fridge for drinking and making coffee,  I change the filter cartridge every six or eight weeks and it's worked out giving us sweet tasting water and great coffee.
  That said, I do buy a few of gallons of distilled water a month from the pharmacy to use in the wife's Bi-Pap breathing machine which she has to sleep with every night. 
  It's also used to clean wounds where infections might be a problem. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
Off subject a bit but one of my favorite Fields comments came after a trip somewhere in Europe.  He said they lost their corkscrew and had to live on food and water for a week. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

Back note here. One thing about that report is that it lists our Town water supply as "well affected by surface water".  So that's a problem right there when you figure we have hay fields and pastures on 3 sides of us.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
as for city tap water, the city of melborne,fla has got to be the nastyest
water i've seen,
then there's chicago, i once did a little test. poured some tap water in a mason jar
let it set a bit to be still, then back lit the jar with a flashlight,
then i took a large magnifiying glass and waddya know, SHRIMP a bunch
of tiny shrimp swimming all over. my guess is don't complain to the water dept,
cause in chicago they might raise the water rates, tru story.

where i am now i filter all drinking & cooking water. were on a well.
thank goodness no rural water bill.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
Easy free water test: Pour about 2 cups of water in a sauce pan. Boil gently until it all evaporates. Check for residue in the pan. Yuk....

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
Easy free water test: Pour about 2 cups of water in a sauce pan. Boil gently until it all evaporates. Check for residue in the pan. Yuk....

Part of my job for over 30 years was making and analyzing potable (drinking) water.  Your "easy free water test" will tell you absolutely nothing useful.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »

Part of my job for over 30 years was making and analyzing potable (drinking) water.  Your "easy free water test" will tell you absolutely nothing useful.
Well...it doesn't give me a chemical analysis of that that sludge is, if that's what you mean,  but it sure tells me whether or not I'm comfortable drinking it.
As a professional, Nuke, just what is defined as "potable" water? Seriously.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »
Professionally, at least for the US, it would meet the standards as outlined here:  https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-11/documents/howepargulates_cfr-2003-title40-vol20-part141_0.pdf

But to boil that all down (pun intended), it means water that is safe for drinking and cooking.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
Professionally, at least for the US, it would meet the standards as outlined here:  https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-11/documents/howepargulates_cfr-2003-title40-vol20-part141_0.pdf

But to boil that all down (pun intended), it means water that is safe for drinking and cooking.
I know what "potability" means by definition.
If I read that document correctly, those standards are at least 15 years old, and most go back to 1993.
I also read that those standards only apply to community water supplies for populations under 10,000.  They also don't apply to "ground water affected by surface water", which my community (pop. 1100) is.
So basically, our community water can be crap, and still be "in compliance" with 25 year old standards.
That makes me feel soooo much better.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

I know what "potability" means by definition.
If I read that document correctly, those standards are at least 15 years old, and most go back to 1993.
I also read that those standards only apply to community water supplies for populations under 10,000.  They also don't apply to "ground water affected by surface water", which my community (pop. 1100) is.
So basically, our community water can be crap, and still be "in compliance" with 25 year old standards.
That makes me feel soooo much better.

OP, you asked what potable means professionally.  I told you.  Sorry you didn't like the answer.  Some of the standards are 25 years old, but they are constantly adding/updating them.  Different sources (ground water, ground water under the influence of surface water, surface water) have different treatment standards and different monitoring standards apply based on the population size served and the treatment regimen.  However, the analyses performed and the limits applied are all essentially the same regardless of the population served or the treatment used.  As in any government regulation, the standards are convoluted, written in "lawyerese," and often hard to understand.  There are other websites out there which break all these things down into a little more easily understood format.  Here's one:  https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/drinking-water-rule-quick-reference-guides

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »
Nuke, based on your experience can you give us your estimation of what hayshaker' shrimps may have been?

-Unknown

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
Nuke, it wasn't that I didn't like the answer, and I appreciate you time and effort to answer.
My little water tester is far from a 'professional' piece of equipment. It has a scale that says anywhere up to 400 ppm (0.4 mg/l) of "dissolved solids" is the "average" (or typical) drinking (tap) water.  Our tap water comes in at ~180 ppm. Pretty 'potable', right?  Except goldfish die in it.  That's my layman's "canary in the coal mine" indicator of safe water.
I captured some rain water a couple days ago and it came in at 4.0 ppm.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
as for city tap water, the city of melborne,fla has got to be the nastyest
water i've seen,
then there's chicago, i once did a little test. poured some tap water in a mason jar
let it set a bit to be still, then back lit the jar with a flashlight,
then i took a large magnifiying glass and waddya know, SHRIMP a bunch
of tiny shrimp swimming all over. my guess is don't complain to the water dept,
cause in chicago they might raise the water rates, tru story.

where i am now i filter all drinking & cooking water. were on a well.
thank goodness no rural water bill.

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be daphnia magna, AKA water fleas.

https://betadifferentiatie.sites.uu.nl/wp-content/uploads/sites/176/2012/09/background-information-on-daphnia.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia_magna

Doesn't sound like something that should show up when you draw a glass of water from you kitchen tap. :shrug:

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »
...then i took a large magnifiying glass and waddya know, SHRIMP a bunch
of tiny shrimp swimming all over...   

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/branchiopoda.html

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/jul/legend/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anostraca

Adult freshwater Fairy shrimp, found in ponds around here, can be readily seen without a magnifying lens. When very young they look like little dots without a lens. (There are many freshwater species that are very similar to Brine shrimp aka SeaMonkeys.)

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
Potable water is a complex subject that far too many take for granted. As with everything, it pays to pay attention to the details. Many tasks at first seem impossible, yet with time we become so adept we can do them in our sleep.

*** There is no substitute for knowing which contaminants we are in the water we wish to use, and how best to deal with them. ***

For instance BOTH boiling AND distilling remove some pathogens... yet CONCENTRATE others.

ZERO METHODS make every source of water safe.
Not the normal hiking filters, not UV, not boiling, not distilling, etc. NONE.

Filters like those by Berkey, etc come closest.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
What about the Sawyer Zero Point One filters?  Filter down to 1/10 of a micron.

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 08:00:35 AM »
99% of the hiking/backpacking (aka H/B) filters are for backcountry water that needs little to no treatment to begin with. They are more window dressing than anything practical. Boiling is plenty for such sources. Heck, heating to 165?F for at least three minutes generally suffices.

Remember that boiiling, even twenty minutes at a full rolling, neither removes nor kills every bacteria or pathogen. Boiling merely kills *or temporarily inactivates* the majority of bacteria that *normally* cause issues with humans.

None of the H/B filters are fully addressing the actual contaminants in the less than pristine wilderness situations we currently face in almost all areas. O(f course, even municipal water treatment plants aren't 100% effective on all contaminants.) This concerns me as conditions worsen year by year yet all the while most folks are going along believing their filters are fully protecting them. Typical First Order thinking.

Sawyer has a history of lies, dubious testing and claims. (There were many articles about this when they first hit the scene.) They spend far more on advertising than research and testing. But then, all that is pretty much SOP for the H/B filter industry.

The Rule of Thumb is the cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, faster flow and/or larger number of gallons it treats... the less that particular filter is doing. There is no way around this.

Since no one likes more expensive, heavier, more difficult to maintain, slower flow and fewer gallons the manufacturers are in a Catch 22.

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:16 AM »
For decades 0.2 (two tenths) of a micron was the H/B industry standard. (There are diesel fuel filters and such filtering that small.) Funny how the number to chase changed to 0.1 (one tenth) in, what?, the late 90s? early 2Ks? A decade ago the first 0.05 (five one hundredths) H/B filters came out. Carbon filtration has become much more common. Yet silver or iodine in filters hasn't.

Seems likely this is partly due to advances in materials science and manufacturing. Also seems likely that the number of people reporting filtration failures drove this. Read the comment sections on any filter and there are plenty of upset people.

Now, the percentage of whiners has definitely skyrocketed. As has the inability of people to diligently follow directions. Yet so to have the contaminants in surface water.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
99% of the hiking/backpacking (aka H/B) filters are for backcountry water that needs little to no treatment to begin with. They are more window dressing than anything practical. Boiling is plenty for such sources. Heck, heating to 165?F for at least three minutes generally suffices.

Remember that boiiling, even twenty minutes at a full rolling, neither removes nor kills every bacteria or pathogen. Boiling merely kills *or temporarily inactivates* the majority of bacteria that *normally* cause issues with humans.

None of the H/B filters are fully addressing the actual contaminants in the less than pristine wilderness situations we currently face in almost all areas. O(f course, even municipal water treatment plants aren't 100% effective on all contaminants.) This concerns me as conditions worsen year by year yet all the while most folks are going along believing their filters are fully protecting them. Typical First Order thinking.

Sawyer has a history of lies, dubious testing and claims. (There were many articles about this when they first hit the scene.) They spend far more on advertising than research and testing. But then, all that is pretty much SOP for the H/B filter industry.

The Rule of Thumb is the cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, faster flow and/or larger number of gallons it treats... the less that particular filter is doing. There is no way around this.

Since no one likes more expensive, heavier, more difficult to maintain, slower flow and fewer gallons the manufacturers are in a Catch 22.

I stay away from anything made by Sawyer
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
My Sawyer .02 system is set up and ready for an "emergency".  It's never been used due to a Catch 22 in the instructions.  It says the first priming should be with a pressurized water source to fully flush and hydrate the filter. But then it says you shouldn't let a wet filter sit for long periods to avoid deposits drying in the filter and reducing efficiency.  Huh?

This particular filter isn't exactly cheap, running about $150 for the kit. The kit is the hardware to set up a 5 gallon bucket to gravity feed at the rate of 1 gal per hour.

Now that I have my water testing equipment procured prior to getting our distiller, I'm going to fire up that bucket system and see what the results show.  I can't do any chemical analysis of the water, but I have done a few tests on various water sources to measure the particulates.

Some interesting results (to me):

Cold tap water:                      149 ppm
Hot tap water:                        240 ppm (time to flush the water heater!)
In-line water filter in kitchen:  169 ppm (time to change the filter! LOL)
Melted ice from fridge:            189 ppm (time to change that filter, too)
Commercial bottled water:         14 ppm
Commercial "Distilled water":      1 ppm (Huh?)
Home distilled water:                  0 ppm
Rain water:                                4 ppm (Gotta love atmospheric pollution, even in Big Sky Country)

I'll be interested to see the results after changing the fridge and kitchen filters.  It doesn't take long for these filters to breed more crap than they filter, and give folks a false sense of security.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
If the crap isn't making you sick...what does that mean?

The immune system is one helluva filter. Though I don't think it does a lotta good with chemical or heavy metal contaminants
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »

The immune system is one helluva filter. Though I don't think it does a lotta good with chemical or heavy metal contaminants
That's just the point. Our Town water comes out the color of coffee at least 2x per month. Goldfish can't live more than a week in it. Beta fish die within 30 days, and they're AIR BREATHERS! :puke:

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »

The problem with that approach is by the time you know, you're just along for the remainder of the ride. However unpleasant that may be. A bit of dog training advice I am fond of is: "It is always easier to avoid problems, than correct them."

Though I don't think it does a lotta good with chemical or heavy metal contaminants   

There again, by the time you become aware of poisoning by those types of contaminants, you are in for a very rough ride. 

Good to see you are doing at least some testing OP.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
Still on the detox journey, and came across this.  Something to ponder, especially with all the dialog in various threads on how to treat water in the wild.

Boiled water removes none of the inorganic minerals, although it does kill the bacteria in water if boiled at least 20 minutes. But the dead bodies of these germs are carried into the system when the boiled water is used. Such dead materials furnish a fertilized soil for rapid and lusty propagation of germs already in the body. By drinking boiled water one may avoid live disease germs, but still takes on bacterial soil for the growth of other bacteria. While raw water is an aquarium filled with deadly microorganisms, boiled water is a graveyard of dead germs.
Filtered Water can also be dangerous. While it is true that chlorine, some suspended substances and many synthetic chemicals are removed in the filter by filtering, there is no filter made which can prevent bacteria or viruses from passing through its fine meshes.
Moreover, decaying matter collects on the bottom of every filter. This forms an excellent breeding ground for bacteria. After a filter has been used for a few days, the filtered water often contains more disease germs than the water which is put into the filter. Bacteria are multiplied by the millions by the collected wastes at the base of some filters.

So with drinking boiled water, you might as well be eating sterilized compost for microorganisms???   :-\