Author Topic: PACKABLE,< 2 LBS, AND $129? Yup!!  (Read 778 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
PACKABLE,< 2 LBS, AND $129? Yup!!
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »
I found this on Hammock forums of all places. I love the options this opens up. heat sealable tpu coating on Nylon!!

It requires a LOT of patience it seems but very easy and cheap. I have a hot iron I use for Covering Balsa wood airplanes. I'll have to order a test kit to see if my iron will do the job. If not, they are cheap anyway.

What kind of things can you think of making with this stuff? Panniers? Backpack? pontoons? sponsons? Excellent use for a skin on frame yak.

Cool stuff!!!!

https://www.diypackraft.com/

ultralight...

https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/merchandise/40d-diy-packraft-kit/
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: PACKABLE,< 2 LBS, AND $129? Yup!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Pretty interesting kits for sure.  While I think paddling around in a two pound boat would be fun my concern with it being (from what I can tell) a single chamber with single valve affair leaves no room for error or mishap in its use.  Nonetheless these are pretty interesting.

The same concept would make it easy to make a custom shaped tarp tent and that would be the most useful thing I would be interested in.  If one could heat seal the various panels instead of sewing them it might be a quicker project.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I've read some unbelievably hard treks/adventures done in those things.  Like trekking across Alaska hard.  Now I laughed when they first came out.  I don't laugh at them anymore.  I ran some rivers up there through some snowmelt levels.  I could hear rocks rolling on the bottom and suspended pebbles smacking against the bottom of my kayak.  Serious water for a little inflatable.  But they apparently do it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »
I think it might be real heavy for a tarp tent cover, easy yes. The 40d is only 3.oz/sq yrd though.

There are videos in there that show him destroying samples. Very puncture proof. If you slice it a little it will tear easily the rest of the way. You can see the different deniers and how tear proof the heavier stuff is even after being sliced.

On a side note you could patch this stuff in the back country with a very hot rock in a split green branch fork if needed. Just need a little extra material for a patch kit. That $6 sample pack would work for that. Small punctures can be glued with the seam seal like you would a tent seam.

It's cool also that there is an air tight zipper. So you can fill the inside with gear and close it back up. I bet an inside chamber in each side would be easy if you sealed a circular patch to the end of the tube before connecting it to the next tube. Maybe inset it an inch or so. That would actually make four chambers two sides and a front and a back. You'd need four valves then though...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
I thought this was awesome. What a fantastic place.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Speaking of model planes... I have an Airolite kayak kit I never started. One of my excuses was no flotation for such a thin skin. I haven't explored your link much XJ. Nevertheless the two concepts might marriage well.
  I'm not much of a boat person so there is a high possibility I'm way off.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown