Author Topic: A 4 day snowshoeing trip in the Czech mountains  (Read 569 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
A 4 day snowshoeing trip in the Czech mountains
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
Hi, together with a friend from The Netherlands who visited me last weekend, we went for a 4 day 3 nights snowshoeing trip.
Last night we descended down for below the snowline and had a chance to dry everything out from the previous night where we had crazy side winds with fog and ice.
Also a change to test out the Mora Kansbol, and the More Camp Axe.
The knife was fine, although it is a weird feeling to have such a thin knife tip.
The axe got quickly damaged, I would guess it could not handle the slightly freezing temperature...? (-4c / 25f)
We climbed from 427 meters to 1097 meters, and back down again. Average distance per day was 6 km.
We had one distaster though.. we counted with bacon and eggs every morning, but somehow we forgot the eggs at home :-)

If it got you curious, click the link below for the video. The little parts we speak is in Dutch, but pretty self explanatory.

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: A 4 day snowshoeing trip in the Czech mountains
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »
Thanks Dabberty, that is an excellent video.

Interesting terrain and lots of snow.  What went wrong with the small axe?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:28:23 AM »
Hi, although you should be able to split wood, the plastic bit around the blade got damaged, from hitting the wood i assume. My best guess is that it got brittle due to the cold, although it wasn?t that cold..

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:37:31 AM »
Looked like a good time!  Thanks for the share
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »
I really enjoyed that video, Dabberty. :thumbsup:    I haven't visited your YouTube channel in a while because I just couldn't find the time, but I do now, so I will remedy that ASAP! :popcorn: :cheers:

I was kind of surprised that the Mora hand-axe didn't stand up any better than that! :shocked:   It didn't look like any abuse was being dealt to it in the video. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »
Looks like a great 4 days Dabberty. The area looks awesome, and ideal. I don't know much about snowshoes so at least, I expected them to be bigger.

Are you going to keep using the Mora hatchet? It could be only the thinnest, more fragile part broke off and afterwards the rest hangs on? I've never used or even seen one in person.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi, although you should be able to split wood, the plastic bit around the blade got damaged, from hitting the wood i assume. My best guess is that it got brittle due to the cold, although it wasn?t that cold..

Thanks. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
Are you going to keep using the Mora hatchet? It could be only the thinnest, more fragile part broke off and afterwards the rest hangs on? I've never used or even seen one in person.
Yep, i can not find the bill anymore, so i have to keep it now.
It is still well attached, and the blade even has a small "rattail" that goes about 2 inches into the handle, so it is still pretty secure.
I was thinking of welding on each side a small triangle on the blade, so the wood would not touch the plastic anymore, but not sure about it yet.