Author Topic: If a stranger knocks on your door, do they do so at risk of being shot dead?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
Unbelievable some of the comments in this thread.

Link removed per suggestion.

What a bunch of drama queens.

"my family was subjected to it"

WTF has happened to the 'men' in this country?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:48:13 PM by weedeater64 »
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
They all came over here! :thumbsup: :lol:

I don't think we need stuff from over 'there' sullying our doorstep, weedeater.  You are probably better off asking one of the mods to delete this thread BEFORE it gets locked....because it will, anyway. :popcorn:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Yes, please leave that site off of this site. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
PM sent to upthecreek.
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
  Some folks take their privacy seriously I guess,  truth is,  we live in a different and more dangerous world than we had half a century ago,  back then a knock on the door usually meant family, friends, or neighbors had come to visit,  today the chances are that it's a pair of dope heads looking to steal your wife's jewelry and rob your medicine cabinet on the way out, right after they slit your throat. 
  But just to be on the safe side it would be better to ID your guest before you start shooting.  (grinning) 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
  Looks like this is going to go on longer than the Hatfields & McCoys ??? ?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Or you could edit the link out
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
There are other forums?  Who would have thunk it.

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
   today the chances are that it's a pair of dope heads looking to steal your wife's jewelry and rob your medicine cabinet on the way out, right after they slit your throat. 

Where do you get that notion from?

I've had strangers knock on the door, none tried to kill me. And I'm not talking 50 years ago. Like in the past year.

I think you are perhaps conditioned to live in fear by the main stream media. Think about it. The hoards are not at your door.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think a lot of people have a very skewed notion of just how much it happens.

And wouldn't it happen less if we all got out and knocked on someones door and made some new friends?

Sure, be careful always. But a knock at the door in my opinion is nothing to loose ones mind over, certainly nothing to start freaking out about. Especially when you learn that the stranger is someone you've had contact with in a community.

It's not like the guy just walked in and started drinking his beer, he just knocked on the door and identified himself. The wife who answered the door, as the one making the fuss wasn't home, said the guy was friendly enough and gave no hint at anything suspicious.

IDK, seems to me like this guy is just an example of what is wrong with the country today. The guy crying, not the guy knocking.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
There are other forums?  Who would have thunk it.

:shrug: :cheers: :coffee:
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
I'd rather an online nut show up than a solicitor. I've met a few that tried to out-rude me. One summer I developed a pitch of my own. It was predicated on their confidence in their ability to sale and in their product. I explained the uninvited nature of their visit and the value I placed on my time. So ,if authorized, they could sign my listening contract that required their company to pay for my time if they were unsuccessful in convincing me of the value of any offered services.

That was primarily for my own entertainment. Usually I stop them short with No Thank You. A persistent person led to escalation of force in tone, which even led to my listening contract. Pushy ones made me feel bad after they left. Because I had to get mean before they shut up and left.

Last year, a funeral had us traveling which brought us near my wife's Dad's hometown. My FIL, I know, but I never met him due to dying. We stopped at a farmers market and post office asking questions. Twice we were cautioned about approaching strangers or door knocking due to Meth.

:shrug:  of course. I could go on
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
   today the chances are that it's a pair of dope heads looking to steal your wife's jewelry and rob your medicine cabinet on the way out, right after they slit your throat. 

I've had strangers knock on the door, none tried to kill me. And I'm not talking 50 years ago. Like in the past year.

I think you are perhaps conditioned to live in fear by the main stream media. Think about it. The hoards are not at your door.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think a lot of people have a very skewed notion of just how much it happens.

And wouldn't it happen less if we all got out and knocked on someones door and made some new friends?

Sure, be careful always. But a knock at the door in my opinion is nothing to loose ones mind over, certainly nothing to start freaking out about. Especially when you learn that the stranger is someone you've had contact with in a community.

It's not like the guy just walked in and started drinking his beer, he just knocked on the door and identified himself. The wife who answered the door, as the one making the fuss wasn't home, said the guy was friendly enough and gave no hint at anything suspicious.

IDK, seems to me like this guy is just an example of what is wrong with the country today. The guy crying, not the guy knocking.

Well, that was refreshing,  It's been a long time since I've been scolded  for one of my posts,  for your information it was delivered tongue in cheek,  as a retired LE I think I have a pretty good grasp on what to expect from society.
   I happen to live in a well ordered community, it's fairly rural and most times quiet, I can't remember the last time we locked our doors,  and when there's a knock at our door in the evening it's usually a family member come to visit.
   Unlike a decade or so ago when strangers would come to the door soliciting business or trying to sell us something, today they just call us on the phone to bother us, but hanging up on them is easier than answering the door.
   Unfortunately some folks don't have it as well and for what ever reason are forced to reside in places that are a bit more seedy and at times more dangerous,  one of our forum member here just last year posted that in order to get a good nights sleep and protect his family he had to go to sleep on the floor with his feet against the door to his apartment and with a weapon in his hands,  perhaps the guy complaining (crying) has a reason for feeling the way he does. 
  You don't know me, nor do you know that I've been conditioned or if so by what,  but what I do know about you by your post is that you are judgmental, arrogant, and rude,  I suggest you take the time to get to know people on this or any forum before you attempt to criticize them.

I also don't like your tag line demeaning people of faith.   

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
at the risk of stating the obvious,  some folks get their undies in a knot with little or no provocation.   Is there info out there that is so dangerous, we need to remove links? 
Any prudent person identifies the source of an unexpected knock on the door.   How one deals with that info,  is dependent on many factors. 

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
It's been a long time since I've been scolded  for one of my posts,  for your information it was delivered tongue in cheek,  as a retired LE I think I have a pretty good grasp on what to expect from society.

Scolded? You're pretty sensitive.

You're last line up there looks to be tongue in cheek, the rest, not so much. As a retired LE you should know we are a lot safer now than ever in the history of civilization.

I happen to live in a well ordered community, it's fairly rural and most times quiet, I can't remember the last time we locked our doors,  and when there's a knock at our door in the evening it's usually a family member come to visit.
   Unlike a decade or so ago when strangers would come to the door soliciting business or trying to sell us something, today they just call us on the phone to bother us, but hanging up on them is easier than answering the door.

You might have avoided the 'scolding' had you simply told us the real deal to start, rather than making up a fantasy world which was not as obviously made up as you now want to imply.

Unfortunately some folks don't have it as well and for what ever reason are forced to reside in places that are a bit more seedy and at times more dangerous,  one of our forum member here just last year posted that in order to get a good nights sleep and protect his family he had to go to sleep on the floor with his feet against the door to his apartment and with a weapon in his hands,  perhaps the guy complaining (crying) has a reason for feeling the way he does. 

Yes, as I already noted, but this is mostly restricted to democrat run inner city crap holes. Most of us don't live like this. I my self have lived in some less than desirable neighborhoods so I know it's out there first hand. Most places I've lived though, of quite a number, are nothing like that.

The guy in question doesn't live in a craphole city, he's just like that. He took it as an invasion of his privacy and an assault on himself that someone knocked on his door. As did many commenters in the thread.

You don't know me, nor do you know that I've been conditioned or if so by what,

Correct, I had your fictitious comment above to go on, and responded accordingly. Said comment was not obviously fake, as you seem to be implying is obvious. It must made you come off as I described.

" today the chances are that it's a pair of dope heads looking to steal your wife's jewelry and rob your medicine cabinet on the way out, right after they slit your throat. "

but what I do know about you by your post is that you are judgmental, arrogant, and rude,  I suggest you take the time to get to know people on this or any forum before you attempt to criticize them.

I suggest you be honest to start before accusing me of not getting to know you. Yes I am judgmental, I make no apologies for it either.

Rude? There you go being sensitive again. 'Men' today.

You are not required to like it. It would be nice if you read and understood it though.

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
at the risk of stating the obvious,  some folks get their undies in a knot with little or no provocation.

Truth.

Is there info out there that is so dangerous, we need to remove links? 

Good question.

Any prudent person identifies the source of an unexpected knock on the door.   How one deals with that info,  is dependent on many factors.

Agreed.

The person in question took it as an assault on his family and an invasion of his privacy, regardless of intention of the person knocking. Some actually suggested the appropriate response to a stranger knocking is violence, whatever the circumstance.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
I'm late to this but will answer the topic question.

I have people that come in my driveway all the time, most are looking for the next door neighbor. I must be intimidating because they always look scared to death when I approach their car. I do this to protect them from my two dogs that will, well be troublesome to strangers and their cars.

On the other hand. Our neighbors think we are wild folk. Big mud trucks, Bonfires, shooting and occasionally blowing things up.( tannerite or compressed air in plastic bottles). They will leave us alone. They also tell others they might want to leave us alone.

Honestly, in a kill or be killed situation, I choose constraint if possible. Knock them out, tie them up, wait for cops. Lot's of stuff to whack a weirdo with around the house.(wink) I know NY laws. It's justifiable on a few rules. you can't have a more powerful weapon than they do. If they have a knife you can't shoot them. If they have a gun you can stab them. It's far more in depth,  that will sum it up fairly reasonably. The biggest thing is they have to be uninvited INSIDE your house. A witness helps too.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

------SECDEF James Mattis
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Patron Life Member

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
It's been a long time since I've been scolded  for one of my posts,  for your information it was delivered tongue in cheek,  as a retired LE I think I have a pretty good grasp on what to expect from society.

Scolded? You're pretty sensitive.

You're last line up there looks to be tongue in cheek, the rest, not so much. As a retired LE you should know we are a lot safer now than ever in the history of civilization.

You might have avoided the 'scolding' had you simply told us the real deal to start, rather than making up a fantasy world which was not as obviously made up as you now want to imply.

Yes, as I already noted, but this is mostly restricted to democrat run inner city crap holes. Most of us don't live like this. I my self have lived in some less than desirable neighborhoods so I know it's out there first hand. Most places I've lived though, of quite a number, are nothing like that.

The guy in question doesn't live in a craphole city, he's just like that. He took it as an invasion of his privacy and an assault on himself that someone knocked on his door. As did many commenters in the thread.

You don't know me, nor do you know that I've been conditioned or if so by what,

Correct, I had your fictitious comment above to go on, and responded accordingly. Said comment was not obviously fake, as you seem to be implying is obvious. It must made you come off as I described.

" today the chances are that it's a pair of dope heads looking to steal your wife's jewelry and rob your medicine cabinet on the way out, right after they slit your throat. "

but what I do know about you by your post is that you are judgmental, arrogant, and rude,  I suggest you take the time to get to know people on this or any forum before you attempt to criticize them.

I suggest you be honest to start before accusing me of not getting to know you. Yes I am judgmental, I make no apologies for it either.

Rude? There you go being sensitive again. 'Men' today.

You are not required to like it. It would be nice if you read and understood it though.

No, we are not safer now than at any other time in our history,  pick up a local news paper once in a while,  but then again I would expect nothing less from someone who quotes Grayling.

In my opinion,  you sir are proof positive that ones education can far surpass their intelligence. 

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
This went well.......AND I don't even know what the link was.....

Carry on.....Life is too short .... 
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone

Trust me, it's not worth a recap.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone

Trust me, it's not worth a recap.

OK ...I trust you anyway.......
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder

I have people that come in my driveway all the time, most are looking for the next door neighbor. I must be intimidating because they always look scared to death when I approach their car. I do this to protect them from my two dogs that will, well be troublesome to strangers and their cars.

On the other hand. Our neighbors think we are wild folk. Big mud trucks, Bonfires, shooting and occasionally blowing things up.( tannerite or compressed air in plastic bottles). They will leave us alone. They also tell others they might want to leave us alone.

Honestly, in a kill or be killed situation, I choose constraint if possible. Knock them out, tie them up, wait for cops. Lot's of stuff to whack a weirdo with around the house.(wink) I know NY laws. It's justifiable on a few rules. you can't have a more powerful weapon than they do. If they have a knife you can't shoot them. If they have a gun you can stab them. It's far more in depth,  that will sum it up fairly reasonably. The biggest thing is they have to be uninvited INSIDE your house. A witness helps too.

Dang XJ, I would LOVE to have you as a neighbor as long as I got invited to the bonfires and tannerite days! (My wife probably wouldn't though, lol!)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
Wild Folk. That has a nice ring to it. I'm going to use the term as much as I can
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone

Dang XJ, I would LOVE to have you as a neighbor as long as I got invited to the bonfires and tannerite days! (My wife probably wouldn't though, lol!)

I'd buy tickets to that party. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
If you guy's haven't tried the compressed air trick, It's awesome!! You can just drill a hole in a bottle cap and add a valve stem. smart water bottles have great threads on top just like a soda bottle but are thin. 80-125 psi and boom!!!

I got a generic 2 liter up to 180. Orange soda from save-a-lot.

You have to tie them off by the valve stem or you risk losing the cap.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone

Well, that was refreshing,  It's been a long time since I've been scolded  for one of my posts,  for your information it was delivered tongue in cheek,  as a retired LE I think I have a pretty good grasp on what to expect from society.
  You don't know me, nor do you know that I've been conditioned or if so by what,  but what I do know about you by your post is that you are judgmental, arrogant, and rude,  I suggest you take the time to get to know people on this or any forum before you attempt to criticize them.

Hey Moe, did you just call me a crybaby, what is that about. I was there not for my own safety but for my family's. Never had a weapon in hand, just close by. I still do not sleep well at home. Maybe you have met your deepest fear, maybe not. I unfortunately have and it is two losers with bad intent in my home threatening the safety of my family. Things could have gone upside down if one of us had woken up 30 seconds earlier, THIRTY SECONDS. They had guns, were fully awake, and one had been convicted of murder at the age of thirteen.

Moe, law enforcement has many more legal protections in regards to the use of force than us regular, not on the job civilians. Law enforcement can use violence proactively where non-law enforcement has to resort to violence after the fact. I can not shoot someone just because i feel my life threaten, police can. I can not take someone to the ground because i think they are going to physically attack me, police can.

Crybaby, screw you.

Nice matters

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
in a perfect world,  someone would just close this dog's breakfast of a thread.   Just saying............. ..........

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
@Orbean....he was talking about the guy in the link that has been taken down, not you.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone

Hey Moe, did you just call me a crybaby, what is that about. I was there not for my own safety but for my family's. Never had a weapon in hand, just close by. I still do not sleep well at home. Maybe you have met your deepest fear, maybe not. I unfortunately have and it is two losers with bad intent in my home threatening the safety of my family. Things could have gone upside down if one of us had woken up 30 seconds earlier, THIRTY SECONDS. They had guns, were fully awake, and one had been convicted of murder at the age of thirteen.

Moe, law enforcement has many more legal protections in regards to the use of force than us regular, not on the job civilians. Law enforcement can use violence proactively where non-law enforcement has to resort to violence after the fact. I can not shoot someone just because i feel my life threaten, police can. I can not take someone to the ground because i think they are going to physically attack me, police can.

Crybaby, screw you.

Orbean,  I'm sorry that you took my post the way you did,  but I didn't mention you at all,  even in my reply to Weedeater I never mentioned your name,  again, I'm sorry for the confusion,  I think if you take the time to read through the whole thread you'll understand my post.
 A far as I'm concerned we're good. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
I KNEW there would be nothing but trouble as soon as I read the opening post.  :-\     It has evolved into a Tower of Babel, just as I feared it would. :-X   I vote for closure before the misunderstandings lead to more unnecessary and uncalled for vitriolic posts.  Almost no one knows what was contained in the deleted portion of the OP, hence the crap-storm that inevitably followed!  :rolleyes:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
If you guy's haven't tried the compressed air trick, It's awesome!! You can just drill a hole in a bottle cap and add a valve stem. smart water bottles have great threads on top just like a soda bottle but are thin. 80-125 psi and boom!!!

I got a generic 2 liter up to 180. Orange soda from save-a-lot.

You have to tie them off by the valve stem or you risk losing the cap.

I actually have a set of bottle caps with rubber "gland" valves that take football and basketball inflator needles. I got them at the local sporting goods store. I tried them on a few 20oz pop bottles at the range but I was shooting rifle cartridges so the muzzle report was louder than the bottles bursting. I need to go back with a .22 and some 2 liter bottles.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
I KNEW there would be nothing but trouble as soon as I read the opening post.  :-\     It has evolved into a Tower of Babel, just as I feared it would. :-X   I vote for closure before the misunderstandings lead to more unnecessary and uncalled for vitriolic posts.  Almost no one knows what was contained in the deleted portion of the OP, hence the crap-storm that inevitably followed!  :rolleyes:

Someone send me a pm and fill me in. And I will take your recommendation and lock it.