Author Topic: witers almost over  (Read 724 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
witers almost over
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:54:49 AM »
That's right just a few more months that's all
i'm already excited at the thought, heck yeah
a FEW more months. and farmers will be scraching the earth once again.
gardening will be busy, mabey the bees will come back, last year we had no bees
we always had bees but no more no friut last year from the orchard.
not many veggies either come to think. gotta think positive i guess.
order your seeds now, i'm just glad i don't have a 50,000 dollar seed bill. uffda

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: witers almost over
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:37:48 AM »
I was feeling hopeful and got a few bags of onion sets and seed potatoes last week.

Why not get a few bees?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:32:51 AM »

Spring hits right around the second week of April in my area so that makes it about six to eight weeks left of winter,  I know it's a little early to be predicting an early spring,  but the weather guessers are calling for day time temps of 55*F. for Sunday and the low 60*'s for Monday.

OH, an I got my Cabela's Spring Catalog in the mail yesterday,  that's another good sign.

One of my Buds e-mailed me yesterday about setting a date for our annual Spring Bushcraft meet, somewhere towards the end of April, just before the opening of Turkey season, that put a smile on my kisser,  it really ain't all that far off. 

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
74 at 11 am.  Really feels like spring.  But we will get some cool weather again.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
7 @ 11:05AM & more snow predicted for today & tonight.  It's still winter in NEBRASKA, but it's not too bad.  As soon as we get some necessary business out of the way, we're headed south for bbq, mudbugs and boudin! :drool: :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
Don't forget to suck the heads of those crawdads.  Best part.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Don't forget to suck the heads of those crawdads.  Best part.

OH, YEAH.....SUCK 'DEM HEADS! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »
19 degrees and dumping snow here. I am thinking spring though. My gramps used to start his green house on the 21st of February every year. We NEVER put anything in the ground until after memorial day.

My inlaw's do Maple syrup and I have a few hundred sugar maples out back. They're tall and narrow but I was told I can get one tap in each. I figure I can just keep the pot on the wood stove and let it slowly steam out the water. My luck would be the high mid day temps eliminating the need for the wood fire. I might do it anyway. We can open the windows >:D . We'll have extra wood left over.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
2 F this AM and snowing.  My auto gates are full of snow so we have to block them off with a panel.  All the plowing two days ago is all filled up again.  Arizona is starting to look a bit better each year.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 07:39:12 AM »

It'll be nice to see a warming up period,  months of unseasonably cold overnight temps have raised hell with the fuel oil budget.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
We had a bit of freezing rain Tuesday and its been pretty cold, yesterday it got to 67 or so and was 60 last night at 10pm. It will be all over the place for the next 2 weeks I figure and we may get 1 more hard freeze but then it should start warming up. I picked up a couple packets of seeds yesterday and will get them started in the house and set them outside during the day until its safe to plant. Small kitchen garden: few herbs, tomatos and peppers
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....