Author Topic: any opinions on a Prius?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
any opinions on a Prius?
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »
Been looking for a gas saver for long drives and vacation. I almost ordered a Tesla model3 but it's closer to $60,000 as produced not the advertised $35k.

There are a few other Hybrids and maybe the VW would be good. I'm just curious if anyone knows real world reliability. Any issues they all experience?

The Toyota Camry is nice as well. Sick of 10 mpg and prices are going up...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: any opinions on a Prius?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
My son got a Pius last year and loved it. Got around 38 mpg around town to get to work and school. Then he got T-boned in an intersection when the car was less than 6 mo old. After a few months haggling with insurance companies, he now has a Camry.  Loves it, but hasn't told me the mileage yet.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »
Heather's sister has one and I believe it was from the first or second year of production.  She has a ton of miles on it, but has had no trouble with it that I know of.   I always thought they were a butt-ugly vehicle, but that doesn't keep people from buying them.  ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:04:32 AM »
Spoke for a while with a guy in a shopping center parking lot who had a nice black Tesla, not sure of the model. He got his used as a store demo unit with just a couple of thousand mile on the clock for around 25K.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:15:15 AM »
  A friend of mine had one of the first model year Prius Hibrids, it had some kind of drive system that was half electric half gas engine,  it ran from a dead start on the gas engine and once it got over 35 mph it switched to battery power I think is the way it worked,  the car itself was small with not very much passenger room and it wasn't pretty by American car standards,  it was reliable and got about 60 mpg as I remember him telling me.
 My friend was a Mechanical engineer and graduate of MIT,  he also helped design and then captained the exploratory submarine at Woods Hole on the Cape,  the Prius was his get around car, he marveled at the engineering and design that went into producing the car, besides being "Butt Ugly" as Wolfy called it it wasn't quick and it didn't like hills,  Dave lived at the top of a long and fairly steep hill,  in order to get to home when he was driving the Prius he had to get the little car up to about 65mph on the flat to have enough power to make the hill without putting a heavy strain on it's drive train.
 The car was about five years old when like OP's son's Prius he got hit broadside by a drunk driver, the Prius was totaled and Dave suffered a couple of serious injuries,  when he was well enough to replace his car he bought much bigger and heavier Land Rover,  when he's asked about the Prius he smiles and says it was a great car to own once.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »
Most of them down here have weird bumper stickers that I don't get and really don't want to. I remember blowing the doors off my buddy's 4 cyl. Toyota on a WW kayak trip out west on Loveland pass.  We waited forever up there for him.  When he finally got up it,  I bonked myself in the head and said, "You coulda had a V-8." 

I think a Prius  might earn guffaws from me.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:28:05 AM »
I am pretty sure this not what you are looking for but give it a chance.
https://www.eliomotors.com
84mpg, made in USA.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
I think one is better off with a small 4 cylinder gasoline powered car than a hybrid or all electric vehicle.  I guess the best thing to do is look at the acquisition cost, resale values, miles driven, cost of fuel, cost of electric recharge, and a few intangibles and see what makes the most sense.  It makes sense but I don't think fuel is high enough yet to justify the additional cost of some of these cars.

We had a Chevrolet Cruze for three years.  It got up to 40 mpg on the highway and about 32 mpg around town.  Fun to drive and fast with the 1.4 litre turbo motor.  Its downfall was it was not good in snow and ice and we got that in spades where I live.  Make sure what you get will work into your lifestyle with no big problems.  I drive a AWD SUV now and love it.  It costs more to operate but it gets me home and up the hill to my house with no problems.  It gets 30 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg around town.  I can live with that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

I tend to agree with you Stan,  the last new vehicle I ever bought was a '76 Ford F-250 4x4 pickup with all the bells and whistles, it got 10mpg in all driving conditions,  since then it's been all pre 2000 model year cars,  they are more predictable and easier to work on and diagnose problems,  the two that we have now have been with us for longer than I can remember buying them.
 My second car/camping vehicle is a 1990 Ford E-150 high top conversion Van with the center seats removed and a bunk in the rear and built in cabinets,  it runs and rides like a dream, has 87,000 original miles on it and it's never failed me,  all I've ever had to do to it was regular service and maintenance plus new exhaust manifolds, but it too only gets about 10mpg around town and maybe 12mpg on the highway,  we never got more than about 15mpg with any of our cars except the wife's latest, again, we've had it for so long the best I can tell you about when we bought it was that I was still working full time.
 It's a 1996 Volvo 5 cylinder model 850 Sport Wagon, the first front wheel drive car that Volvo marketed,  It's got about 160,000 miles on it and it's still running great and has cost us next to nothing in repairs since we've owned it,  getting back to your point,  we have friends and family who have newer and smaller cars that give gas mileage in the mid 30's,  my grandson's new Masda is giving him 40 mpg.  and that's all well and good because he practically lives in his car or his pick up,  our old Volvo gives us about 23 mpg on average,  is extremely safe, handles like a sports car, and has plenty of room for five people and for cargo in the back.
 When you are used to 10mpg. and you all of a sudden start getting 23, your probably going to be very happy,  besides,  with the amount of driving we do these days we only have to fill the tank about every three weeks or so whether it needs it or not.  (grin)     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »
I really like that Elio, and it's price.

My 2003 Chevy Cavalier got 35MPG. It was a 2.2L. I have an opportunity to Buy my late Sister's cobalt. I think it's an 05 and an SS supercharged 2.0L. I feel weird buying it because she wouldn't let me drive it when she was alive. Then she wouldn't let ANYONE drive it.

It only has 30,000 miles on it and has Never seen snow and actually very little rain. I hate to see someone else end up with it. My bro in law doesn't have a use for it and doesn't want to see it sit in the garage.

That's kind of a collector car that they only made a few of and it's so clean it'll be worth more later if kept pristine. I don't want a show car though. I want to be able to drive the hell out of it. I've been at this job 7 years and as of July 1st I'll get 4 weeks vacation/yr. I want to be able to travel.

My F-350 is an '03 and now has 118K on it. No real problems but brakes every 6 months. I switched to ceramic pads and high carbon rotors. I'm real hard on the brakes. My trailer brakes don't work so when towing it's all truck. I'll fix that this spring. Love the 6.8L.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »
I have a hybrid toyota, the gas savings is amazing,  recently drove to Denver getting 40+ mpg.
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
I'm a Nissan fan. Right now we have a '97 Altima. Bought it in 2000 for $11k, pre-owned. Put a starter and new mass air flow unit in it. That and 1 set of breaks in 17 years. Still gets 26 mpg around town, and 32+ on the highway. The Altima is one of the snappiest vehicles out there.  0-60 in about 7 sec. 85 mph in 3rd gear at only 4500 rpm (red lines at 6500), and 2 more gears to go.  Knock on wood, we'll get another 17 years out of it.
(Side note: In my experience you'll get 2x the mileage on a set of breaks with a manual tranny (driven properly) over an automatic. :shrug:)
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
I still get 12 mpg on my 2002 Silverado.   :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
That's Impressive O'l P. Always hear about the Honda V tech!! Meh, just a lawnmower. LOL!

Crash, I've done new plugs, coil packs(10) and a New filter for the cold air intake. Still 10 MPG. That Triton V-10 is just a high torque engine. The only way I could get better mileage would be to put it in a very light vehicle with a high gear ratio!

I have been wanting to get a pre 96 for the emissions exemption. Most are just rotted out junk with NY salt.

Orbean which model is it? The newer Prius look decent and the Camry really catches my eye.

Years ago the Hotrod Power Tour had some hotrods pushing 300-800 HP and averaged 30 MPG. I remember the article about the owners of the cars being blown away by that. Power to weight ratio. Idling at 70mpg is pretty efficient I guess.

Speaking of power to weight, I have a friend with an old PeterbuIlt. A 379 lowered and geared with 3:07 rears. He tows a large 5th wheel camper and gets close to 10 mpg. The kicker is it'll run close to 120 mph towing! It's a sleeper. Just a day cab painted gun metal gray with no extras at all. You would think it's an old farm truck. Twin turbo Cat in it I believe.

I would love to keep the cost below 8K. Maybe I'll browse Craigslist for a PA car. Much less salt. Need a notary to transfer title to NY.

I found an old delivery bread truck with a Chevy drive line and an ALUMINUM body!!! $2800. Man that would make an excellent camper shell. Imagine if I took the 4x4 drive line out of my old plow truck and stuck it in the bread truck!!!! I might have to join the Van Life movement and ditch the house. LOL!!!!

Yeah I'm Rambling. Toyota then right?

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 05:21:11 AM »
XJ, i do not know the model number, my better half is asleep and i can't find her keys. I am thinking she bought it '08. It is the four door Camry. She loves it, and i am not allowed near it, she is a neat freak and i have a bad rep based on how my work truck looks. Twenty dollars in the tank lasts her a couple of weeks, driving to work and running errands. What i can tell you from personal experience is that it is not slow, if you gun it it will go, both in town and on the freeway. All we have done in regards to repairs is change a couple of batteries but it was under warranty. It is a comfortable car to drive long distances and has held up well, the headliner in the back needs repair but that is it.  I am thinking eventually the kids will get their hands on it.
Nice matters

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
Just my opinion, but i?d Buy your sister?s Cavalier before the hybrid.  One of my boys had a 2002 Cav and it was one of the best vehicles we?ve had.  Sadly lost it in a crash, but it brought more than double what we paid for it from the insurance company.

Take it on your vacation, and if you were to have problems on the road, it will be repaired fairly fast and at a reasonable rate.  We have friends with a Prius hybrid and for the most part they like it, but when it goes in the shop, they always end up with a loaner and no idea of how long the repairs will take. And this is at the dealer!  It usually requires a return visit to the dealer within a day or two.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
Okay, the prius is out. My wife threw A monkey wrench into my plans. Wants a van.

Nissan Rogue Hybrid(34mpg), Toyota Sienna(22mpg), or a Sprinter(17-20mpg)

Maybe it'd be cheaper to just set aside the payment and spend it on vacation fuel. I hate to run the wheels off the ford with 120,000 miles on it already. Although the only trouble it has ever given was brakes. I now have ceramic pads and high carbon rotors. Much better.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:40 PM »
I believe this thread will end when XJ finds a vehicle to convert to CNG ... well not so much a vehicle per se, but some various parts he will assemble to be xJactly what he wants.

Need proof? Wife wants van. Aluminum shell already found.....
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »
The last van I owned was a 1968 VW micro bus, the Deluxe model so I am no help on that subject.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
I believe this thread will end when XJ finds a vehicle to convert to CNG ... well not so much a vehicle per se, but some various parts he will assemble to be xJactly what he wants.

Need proof? Wife wants van. Aluminum shell already found.....

It seems I have a reputation, AND YOU'RE A BAD INFLUENCE. * off to google conversions.....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
it all comes down to energy density. Gasoline has a much higher energy density than lithium batteries. (About 100 times as much energy.) Electric motors are more efficient at converting energy to miles traveled than gasoline. (60-80% with gasoline efficiency around 15%)

With the ratio about 5, a battery with an energy storage density 1/5 of that of gasoline would have the same range as a gasoline-powered car. We are not even close to this at present.

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201208/backpage.cfm

There are other factors to consider if the goal is to sacrifice performance in favor of environmental impact.  The chemicals and processes required to produce a car sized lithium battery, along with the shipping and manufacturing required to produce a Prius offset a large part of any fuel use and emissions savings from an environmental perspective.

http://kscequinox.com/2014/11/toyota-prius-not-as-eco-friendly-as-some-think/

In the end what it comes down to is that the decision to buy a Prius should be based on whether or not you like the vehicle's features and capabilities compared to other vehicles in it's price range, rather than a sense of environmental responsibility. It's also worth considering that while the batteries and motors might use electricity more efficiently, that electricity has to be produced, and unless you are on hydroelectric power, you have to produce it by consuming fuel (at a less efficient rate).

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 09:29:29 AM »
In short, then......there ain't no free lunch! :coffee:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »
it all comes down to energy density. Gasoline has a much higher energy density than lithium batteries. (About 100 times as much energy.) Electric motors are more efficient at converting energy to miles traveled than gasoline. (60-80% with gasoline efficiency around 15%)

With the ratio about 5, a battery with an energy storage density 1/5 of that of gasoline would have the same range as a gasoline-powered car. We are not even close to this at present.

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201208/backpage.cfm

There are other factors to consider if the goal is to sacrifice performance in favor of environmental impact.  The chemicals and processes required to produce a car sized lithium battery, along with the shipping and manufacturing required to produce a Prius offset a large part of any fuel use and emissions savings from an environmental perspective.

http://kscequinox.com/2014/11/toyota-prius-not-as-eco-friendly-as-some-think/

In the end what it comes down to is that the decision to buy a Prius should be based on whether or not you like the vehicle's features and capabilities compared to other vehicles in it's price range, rather than a sense of environmental responsibility. It's also worth considering that while the batteries and motors might use electricity more efficiently, that electricity has to be produced, and unless you are on hydroelectric power, you have to produce it by consuming fuel (at a less efficient rate).

Great points. I don't care so much about the environmental impact. I understand lithium battery production is a horrific polluting process in itself. I just want long range for cheap.

If I wasn't a germaphobe I'd go Greyhound. The last time I took a bus I had a form of herpes virus in my eyes that turned them both BLOOD RED. Yup, I looked like a vampire as the part that should be white was fresh blood red. I was scaring the hell out of people. Some Vaseline type goop under the eyelid cleared it up in two days. NEVER getting on a bus again though.

I always wondered why we don't have a better gas to electric system. A smaller scale to a locomotive. I'm not sure if they even have batteries but the power they put out is ridiculous. Why can't we have a small coleman 2 stroke generator running a couple brushless motors? Or even one at each wheel? The technology is there. The brushless RC's are getting some crazy run times. Even electric bicycles with a brushless motor as the hub is getting almost 30mph on 48v.

Rambling again.... :P

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »
Electric motorcycles are not only the wave of the future, but are already in use.  H-D even has one that they intend to introduce very soon.  The industry predicts that it will not be too long before virtually ALL motorcycles will run solely on battery power.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
I think the Prius works well if it fits into your lifestyle and how or what you expect out of a vehicle.  As a cheap commuter per mile it probably works out but I would not own a Prius without a warranty program.  If you have a battery failure it is big dollars to replace.

My son rode one of the electric dirt bikes last year at a local mx track in Colorado.  At that time the price was about $3000 more than a gasoline engined four stroke 450.  He was impressed with its power delivery.  He was not impressed with its weight or its recharge time.  That will change over time.

I think, from what I have read, that the future of electric cars and bikes is a bit further off.  Harley is in deep financial straits and their electric bike project is at least set to hit the market in 2020.  I would not be surprised if they don't make that date. 

There are other problems with all electric vehicles.  First you have to have a battery system that delivers power for a lot longer than they currently do and while that will probably be achieved it may take another ten to twenty years to get there.  Then you need a way to recharge them at home or on a trip. Then there is the question of where all that new energy to address the demand is going to come from?  Solar, wind, conventional hydroelectric, nuclear, coal or some combination of all of them.  When you plug in the cost and time to build a generating plant and its distribution system it is over a decade long to go through the process.  There are some hurdles, both technical and political, to be jumped but I suppose in the end it will work. 

Their use will be urban and help the pollution in major cities around the world.  London is a good example of a place that is welcoming electric bikes and banning older gasoline bikes.  (older than 2007).  Globally there were 38 million electric bikes last year if what I read is correct.  Most of these were in China. 

I think hydrogen is probably a better wave of the future than electric but probably won't happen.  The Hindenburg gets brought up too much.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
I agree with you on that.....100% :cheers:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
My Father (88) has an electric bike. It has two lithium batteries that look like panniers on the back and a motor that drives the wheel by a belt. Old yes but he gets over 20 miles on a charge. He still pedals all the flats.

Interesting thing is electric bicycles are illegal in NY. Gas are not. My nephew has an 80cc gas and gets 150 miles per gallon.

I think the law was for NYC and it's not enforced but it's on the books still. Here in NY anything that drives under 25mph is legal for the road without license,registration, or insurance. Maybe that's the loop hole for the electric bike law?

Back on topic, I'm liking the toyota sienna or maybe highlander.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
Back on topic, I'm liking the toyota sienna or maybe highlander.

Here is a link I saw when I was looking at vehicles awhile back.

http://carsort.com/compare/Toyota-Highlander-vs-Toyota-Sienna
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 04:57:24 AM »
Very good link. What is a semi automatic? I'll look that up later when I get up. The sienna is lower in the back for the old dog to jump into.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
What is a semi automatic?

It is a transmission that can be put in drive and driven as an automatic or you can select the gearshift setting so it can be manually up shifted or down shifted.  Some cars have paddle shifters, some just have a plus and minus button.
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 05:06:38 PM »
I seriously should have known that. My Hillbilly Hotrod is setup like that except I eliminated the computer for the trans so it's manual only, auto if that makes sense.It will stay in whatever gear I choose and the torque converter does the stop and go so no clutch to work. Perfect for both rock crawling and racing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
Yes it is a handy system.  My SUV has a semi-auto trans.  If it is in D it just drives and shifts automatically.  If I lock it in manual I have a switch that is + or - and can put it M1 or any other M setting and it stays there unless I come to a stop.  Then it goes to M1.  Great for long downhill stretches of road where the automatic setting would let it run over the speed limit or go too fast for the curves.  I can put it whatever manual setting is best for the road and let it hold the vehicle speed back. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »
The funny thing about hybrid electric cars is they tend to get better mileage in city traffic than they do on the open road.

The reason for this is the regenerative braking. When you apply the brakes, the drive motor is run in reverse, acting as a generator to convert motion back into electricity and recharge the battery. Naturally, because of entropy much of this energy is lost, but some of it is recaptured whenever you hit the brakes.

On the highway, you set the cruise control and there is hardly ever any braking, so you reach a point where the battery level drops below the charge threshold and the gas engine turns on to keep it charged. The longer you drive without braking, the less miles you get per gallon because you aren't recovering anything through regenerative braking.