Author Topic: CIMA-1/Izula Clone  (Read 1448 times)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
CIMA-1/Izula Clone
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
OK, before I get started, I want everyone to know, these two knives are COPIES, not the real thing and I will not portray that they are a true ESEE. They are both copies from China.

The larger of the knives is a CIMA-1, I have seen and read several reviews on the knife and it is compared to and ESEE 3, the blade steel is 7CR17MOV. The reviews are good on the knife but not so much on the sheath.

The second knife, the smaller one was advertised as an Izula Clone or copy and no where does it say ESEE. The blade steel is advertised as D2, which if it is, that's great. I did buy a real set of ESEE scales for it. The sheath is molded kydex which holds the knife very secure.

What I wanted to show was the modification to the sheaths and the piggy back style that I came up with.

In total, I may have $65.00 in the pair with mods.

The sheath for the CIMA is a two piece ABS molded plastis, the knive rattles in in, but is held securly. The original belt clip is a BIG clunky piece of spring steal that anyone would take off and throw away.

So I ordered some 2.5" leather, dyed it black, did a quick stitch for the belt loop and added two quick rivets.

Next I attached it with 4 Chicago screw with finish washers, using some rubber fuel line to off set it from the leather backer.

The smaller sheath was also attached with 2 Chicago screws and fuel line, again giving it a offset to clear the larger sheath.

Hope you enjoy.

NW

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:17:59 PM by NoseWarmer »
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: CIMA-1/Izula Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
You did a nice job with that sheath modification and it looks terrific.

I had not heard of the Cima but went and found a review of the one you have, Cima 1, and it was pretty favorable.  It bothers me that Cima takes ESEE's design though.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
I do not knowingly buy clones.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Looks like a handy, well-executed set to me.....well done! :thumbsup:    As far as clones are concerned, they bother me not a whit.....most everything I own is a clone of something that came out before.  Colt Walkers, English trade guns, Sharps Rifles, '73 Winchesters, etc., just to name a few, come mighty dear if you have to pay the price for an original.  Well done clones are very much appreciated in my world. :hail:

I have heard that some people are actually afraid of clones, but I say BRING ON THE CLONES! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
You did a nice job with that sheath modification and it looks terrific.

I had not heard of the Cima but went and found a review of the one you have, Cima 1, and it was pretty favorable.  It bothers me that Cima takes ESEE's design though.

Thank you, it's been awhile sense I have done any projects.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »
Looks like a handy, well-executed set to me.....well done! :thumbsup:    As far as clones are concerned, they bother me not a whit.....most everything I own is a clone of something that came out before.  Colt Walkers, English trade guns, Sharps Rifles, '73 Winchesters, etc., just to name a few, come mighty dear if you have to pay the price for an original.  Well done clones are very much appreciated in my world. :hail:

I have heard that some people are actually afraid of clones, but I say BRING ON THE CLONES! :lol:

Thanks Wolfy, as far as the other "elephant in the room" I refuse to address it, other that I concur with you :)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »

I guess I would rather knowingly than unknowingly.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
  While it remains a controversial subject (clones & Chinese products) foreign made copies are not a new construct, it goes back a long way,  I remember back in the late '50's and on that much of our appliance and entertainment products were reverse engineered and copied by the Japanese then sold back to us for a lot less than we could manufacture them here in the US.
  At the time we called them junk, today they lead the market with quality electronics, appliances, steel, and other products,  China is well known for following their lead, much of their production suffers from poor craftsmanship and quality control,  but they are getting better.
  I have a few Chinese clones,  a knock off of the MSR Pocket Rocket burner that's better than my original,  a wood gasifier Solo stove made in China that is a knock off of the Canadian made Bush Buddy stove,  and a few Chinese made knives that are copies of former American made knives,  all have been pretty reliable,  like Wolfy, I own and shoot a few historical revolvers made by Pietta,  Uberti, and Cimmeron, and an early Win. mod 92 clone by Rossi, again, I've had nothing but good luck with.
  So, I don't have an issue with some clones, as long as the quality is there, they certainly are easier to get and a whole lot less expensive than many of the originals,  but, the buyer must still be aware of the possibility of getting stuck with a clinker once in a while.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »
You did an excellent job. I like the use of the fuel line to space and cushion the sheaths. I must ask though, why carry two knives nearly the same size? It looks like maybe an inch cutting edge difference.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »
I must ask though, why carry two knives nearly the same size? It looks like maybe an inch cutting edge difference.

No particular reason, I had them, and said to myself "they might look good piggy backed" ;)

Offline theJman

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
It bothers me that Cima takes ESEE's design though.

You and me both.  Personally I would never buy a clone/ripoff.  I don't like the concept.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:21:16 AM »
A little late but I'll chime in.  I'm not overly bothered by clones so long as they're not counterfeits.  That really ticks me off!  If you like the form factor of something and knowingly buy a clone/copy it's understood that you're simply buying that form, not the construction quality or manufacturing expertise behind the original.  Heck, I'd love an exact copy of an ESEE Izula II executed skillfully in a superior steel like Maxamet!  Heck, even O1, 3V, something better than 1095.  But then of course, with ESEE you get a very reliable HT from Rowen, no small thing.  It's really terrible though to spend your hard earned money on an ESEE (or Xbox, or whatever) only to find it's not the real deal at all.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

the chinese theft of American intellectual property and designs is so severe, that we don't even seem to mind any more.   Yeah, we save a buck, but we buy an inferior product, and doing so harms American companies and costs jobs.
I just won't buy that crap,  and I'm distressed that others do.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »

the chinese theft of American intellectual property and designs is so severe, that we don't even seem to mind any more.   Yeah, we save a buck, but we buy an inferior product, and doing so harms American companies and costs jobs.
I just won't buy that crap,  and I'm distressed that others do.

Oh sure Mann that may be true today, but if we stay the course eventually we will get far superior goods from china  :sarcasm: ( just in case)

I have to admit. I do have a couple walmart brand yeti double wall tumblers. In this case -IDK- I'm not buying an izula- and the oem has not given up a whole lot in design effort or detailed manufacturing  :shrug:

In principle I agree with those who renounce the purchase of clones and copies to save a few bucks. IMO it takes a lot more than a buy american made attitude. You have to consciously reject a great deal. Corporate and capital now supports the left - whatcha gonna do about that?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to offend anyone by using the word's "Clone, Copy or China"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »
My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to offend anyone by using the word's "Clone, Copy or China"

I doubt very much that you actually offended anyone,  and if you did it's their problem to deal with,  international trade is everywhere,  everything changes and not always for the best,  America was once the manufacturing capital of the world,  you could say "we" had a monopoly on the world market.
  There are many reasons and excuses as to why we've lost that advantage,  some real, some made up,  but like it or not we are competing in an ever changing world,  we had better adapt individually or end up very bitter with no recourse to sooth our grouch.
  As I said earlier in this thread,  Japan as a developing country bought our common household appliances, radios, and TV's,  reverse engineered them and sold them back to us,  then knives and firearms,  in the beginning their products were inferior to US made products,  now Japan leads the market in quality in most of those products,  I can think of many items that we used to produce that we don't anymore,  shoes, textiles, leather goods, toy, clothing,  electronics,  most taken over by manufacturers in under developed countries around the world.
  Many Americans are angry at the loss of jobs and harm that it's done to our economy,  but the reality is that it's just progress doing it's thing,  sure, these countries don't follow the rules we set as far as intellectual property go,  but how many times have we heard ourselves say that while we respect the rules set down for using public lands or those made by Fish & Game depts.,  but when it comes to survival the rules and standards get pushed aside,  well these developing nations are fighting for their survival in much the same way,  and they are doing what they think is best to feed their people, create opportunities, and get along in a changing world.
  That doesn't mean that we should stop buying our own goods to encourage or support foreign imports that compete against our own businesses,  but we also shouldn't be saying hateful things about foreign businesses or countries just because they offer alternative products or because they are competing with US made goods in the market place,  they,   like us, are just trying to survive and earn a place at the table.       
  I try to buy American when ever I can,  but I do own a few Chinese made knives that have been good users,  several great firearms made in Japan, Spain, and Italy, German made hiking and hunting boots,  axes made in Sweden,  and the list goes on,  I'm not a globalist, I'm a Red, White and Blue American,  but I understand that we no longer live in a bubble, we live in an ever advancing world,  and we had better get used to it or live with a bad taste in our mouths for the rest of our lives.

Just something to ponder.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
Great post, Moe! :hail:   

......and NoseWarmer, I don't believe you offended ANYONE with your post. :shrug:      Some people post offensive verbiage intentionally or out of habit, but YOU are certainly not one of them! :cheers:   
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
It sure didn't offend me Nose Warmer. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
I am not offended,  it has been my experience you can get good quality from China if that is what you demand.  Look at flashlights for example. My problem is when they or anyone copys / clones a product and makes a inferior item. It not only is steeling it can hurt the reputation of the original.
What a great day to be outside.