Author Topic: Ideer  (Read 296 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Ideer
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:22:37 PM »
So I had this idea. What if I balled up my scrap cordage and went about in my deer woods and pulled down some saplings with browseable tips. Pulling the trees down, stake and line so deer could access browse out of their reach currently. Dumb idea? Waste of time? Unnecessary? I can tell they are hungry.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Ideer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »
If the snow is as deep in your woods as it is in mine, they might appreciate it.  My deer have found my apple trees, and the snow is deep enough they can reach the lower branches now.
An added entertainment factor for you, is that if you bend over a bunch of trees to feed the deer, you're going to drive a bunch of Sasquatch hunters nuts! :lol: :lol:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
If you have the deer numbers we have you will have to pull over a lot of trees.  We don't have enough woods to do it but in this area a little alfalfa and some cracked corn will take care of a few of them.  There are so many we couldn't feed them all in this kind of ice crusted base with new snow on top of it. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Here in Montana it's illegal to feed deer or elk.  They say it's to avoid "animals congregating in abnormal numbers", and increasing the chance of spreading disease.
Makes sense in many ways, but it makes folks afraid to even put out a salt lick in the winter.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
What Ol'P said is true.  We are not supposed to feed them here in NEBRASKA, either :coffee:

When we have a lot of snow, like we've had this year, the farmers that have alfalfa round bales gathered in their yards have to fence them off to keep the deer away from them.  Deer tend to 'yard up' or gather in large herds during these times of the year anyway, so when these conditions collide they can be a big economic problem for farmers.  The Nebraska Game Commission will issue predation permits to landowners that are in need of them......a herd of 100-250 deer can eat a LOT of hay.  During a particularly bad winter bout 15 years ago, I remember seeing several full pickup-box loads of deer headed for the processors, but that is rare, and the meat is not wasted.  It goes to a feed-the-hungry program.

Have you seen any evidence of 'above normal' numbers of dead deer....like during an EHD plague?   I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe your tree-bending efforts are wasted time.  Very commendable of you, but it won't really help the problem.  Deer can survive starving times pretty well with no help from anyone.....they've been doing it for a very long time.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »
:cheers: :hail:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
The goal is to keep the local population passing through not an attempt to feed them through
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war