Author Topic: Budding Backwoods Gourmet  (Read 622 times)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Budding Backwoods Gourmet
« on: March 05, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
My son went on a hike on Sat with his Scout Troop.
They wanted the youth to bring a lunch to be cooked on the fire.
One of his leaders mentioned a few weeks ago, it would be a competition to see who does the best/most creative lunch.
This got my son's attention.
He went through a variety of ideas and options and finally settled on doing a woods version of a meal he had while on vacation in Montreal.
Montreal steak with herbed cr?me cheese sauce with roasted potatoes and saut?ed onions and peppers.
Ummm, what the heck?!?!
Anyway, I picked him up from school and we did the groceries: He picked out a red pepper and a two pack of very small sirloins (I got the second one).
After supper Fri, he diced and parboiled the spuds and diced the onions and peppers. He put all three in a tinfoil packet with butter, salt and pepper.
He then mixed 1/2 and 1/2 herb and chive whipped cream cheese and butter and spooned it into a goo tube. He put the steak into a small zip lock and
put all the components into a larger zip lock with some granola bars, crackers, a tea bag, water purification tablets and single serving drink crystals.
He had his KFS and spork, and a mug, bowl and plate. I took the handle off an old hibachi grill and he had a cotton bag for it.
His plan was to set the grate about hand high over the coals and then cook the steak 3-4 minutes per side and the same about of time for the tinfoil packet right on the coals.
He ended up putting the grill too close and his steak charred more than he likes, but it all turned out very well.
His leaders were VERY impress. So was I when I saw the photo.
I've tried to link it here but I'm fighting with Google and my work computer so I'm not sure it worked.
If not I'll fix it when I get home.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/avB4XfUSWUWmToC32
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:31:05 PM by Yeoman »
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Budding Backwoods Gourmet
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »

Looks great, you should be very proud of him.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Way to go kid. Sounds tasty. Thanks Yeoman
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Mighty tasty looking dish!   :drool:     WAY better looking than the crusty bacon and eggs flambe' that I created on my first Scout outing! :P

I see he brought an extra fork along, too.....isn't there one on the other side of that knife?   You gottabe REALLY FAST to take advantage of that combo. :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
Great job!  Looks good.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
It looks terrific.  Wish we had a cook like that out here.   ???
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 04:31:31 AM »
Mighty tasty looking dish!   :drool:     WAY better looking than the crusty bacon and eggs flambe' that I created on my first Scout outing! :P

I see he brought an extra fork along, too.....isn't there one on the other side of that knife?   You gottabe REALLY FAST to take advantage of that combo. :lol:

Yup. Scout cooking has come a long way. I used to take cans of Chunky Soup and cook them in the tin on the fire and usually burn a good quarter of the contents.
Or we'd make tinfoil dinners and eat half raw and half burned potatoes with a chunk of solid burger in the middle.

He likes his yellow spork/spoon a lot but he loves the fork/knife/spoon quasi hobo knife/tool.
My mom gave it to him for Christmas two years ago. I don't know who was more proud her or him.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
How did he judge the height? I was taught to hold your hand as close as you can stand too, to hold it there for 5 seconds. That dish looks delicious. What did he do to keep it cold?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »
How did he judge the height? I was taught to hold your hand as close as you can stand too, to hold it there for 5 seconds. That dish looks delicious. What did he do to keep it cold?

I didn't get too technical with the height judgement with him this time.
I just kept it simple and suggested he place the rack a hand span above the coals. He forgot or didn't pay attention and set the grate almost right on top of them.
I'm like you, I just the heat with my hand. I use Mors Kochanski's recommendation of a height that you have to pull your hand away within 3-5 seconds.

As for keeping stuff cold, the temp on Sat was max 9C (48F), so it wasn't a concern.
I'd even probably let him go for most of the day at 20C (68F).

In the mid-summer or when I'm backpacking or canoeing for a few days, I'll freeze meat wrap it in plastic wrap, tin foil and news paper. I've kept a steak frozen that way for two days and eaten it on the third (still cold). To do this, I pack it against my water bottle/bladder that's hung on the outside of my pack. Evaporation keeps it cold.

These days though, I most eat the fresh stuff first day out and go with dehydrated meals for the rest of the time.
I'd offered dehydrated as a choice to him, but he really wanted to challenge himself and wow his buddies. He did both and learned a lot too.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
After our troop started using Dutch ovens or 'bake kettles,' we could barely keep them from baking pizzas and fruit cobblers for EVERY meal.  :rolleyes:     We didn't try to discourage them from preparing & eating what they wanted, but even THEY got tired of pizza after a few days and branched out into stews, casseroles, roasted chickens, etc..  That's what it takes, I guess. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
Looks great.  We should make him an honorary Krac.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Looks great.  We should make him an honorary Krac.
We'll be down your way next summer for a family reunion in Savannah GA.
We might fly in/out of Jacksonville in order to visit a pal of mine there.
If we can make time for a canoe trip in FL, we'll let you know!

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »
Very imaginative of him. Looks great
Nice matters