Author Topic: Interesting story on the origin of the Becker BK14 EsKabar  (Read 1289 times)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
Interesting story on the origin of the Becker BK14 EsKabar
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:57:41 AM »
Hey guys, my favorite neck knife is the Becker BK14 aka the EsKabar.  What's not to like?  1095 HC, it's affordable good balance to edge retention and easy t sharpen back up.  Nice sized blade for a neck knife.  The handle is comfortable and heavily skeletonized to save weight.  For me, it's a great choice for hiking, backpacking and EDC even.

I found out a few years ago on the origin of this collaboration between ESEE and Becker knives.   I made a video about how first came up with the idea, a average knife nut and BF forum member.  I thought it was very interesting I hope you guys like it.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: Interesting story on the origin of the Becker BK14 EsKabar
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Nice job capturing the history in a video. I have a BK11 , BK14 BK24 & Izula. All are good, I prefer the 11.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »
Nice job capturing the history in a video. I have a BK11 , BK14 BK24 & Izula. All are good, I prefer the 11.

Nice collection there!  I would love to own all of those one day.  Thanks for sharing

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
Interesting story, idea and well-done video.  :thumbsup:     I am interested in knowing a little more about the blade proper......grind, thickness at the spine and weight, specifically.  I have to confess that I have only owned a single Becker (a BK-2) that I traded away without ever using it much.  To me, it was more of a pry-bar than a knife and it didn't work very well in the kitchen......where I always begin using any new knife to get an idea of how it will perform other tasks in the field.  If the EsKabar is a little more 'normal' in dimensions I might be a little more receptive to the idea of owning one again. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »

With a different sheath the 14 should fit nicely in you bib overalls.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »

With a different sheath the 14 should fit nicely in you bib overalls.

Nice collection there!  i'm so bummed I missed out on the BK24

Interesting story, idea and well-done video.  :thumbsup:     I am interested in knowing a little more about the blade proper......grind, thickness at the spine and weight, specifically.  I have to confess that I have only owned a single Becker (a BK-2) that I traded away without ever using it much.  To me, it was more of a pry-bar than a knife and it didn't work very well in the kitchen......where I always begin using any new knife to get an idea of how it will perform other tasks in the field.  If the EsKabar is a little more 'normal' in dimensions I might be a little more receptive to the idea of owning one again. :shrug:

You're 100% right I should've put in the stats of the blade.  👍  I appreciate the feedback! :) 

I had the BK2 as well and traded it awy too.  It's exactly like you said, a sharp prybar.

If you're around a knife store, see if you can handle an EsKabar.  With some scales on them, it's very much like a small knife and doesn't really feel like most neck knives.  The blade is 3 and 1/4 inches long, the handle is 3 and 3/4ths inches long,  with an overall lenth of 7.  The spine is a little thick, .165".  I think you'd like it

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
Cool video! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the story,

I like my Eskabar. I bought some micarta scales for it...feels good in hand. It's a great little knife.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
Cool video! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the story,

I like my Eskabar. I bought some micarta scales for it...feels good in hand. It's a great little knife.

Thanks Sarge! I'm planning to buy some California Buckeye Burl scales and do a custom handle job on it.