Author Topic: so what would you pay?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
so what would you pay?
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:27 AM »
i'm asking this question cause i'm not sure.
last week or so i found a tree ibelieve belongs to the city.
what type i'm not really sure but it's dementions are
about 32'in dia on the trunk 24'ft high roughly
and about four feet up starts the burl looks as it goes clean through the tree.
as well as having medium size burls poking out around the tree even on the main branches.
i called the city and the put me in touch with the city mainenence dept.
i told the guy about the tree and that i would like to purchess it. he never said no which is a good sign, he said call back in the spring so he can give an acessment wheather or not to cut it down. i did make an offer of 200'00 for the tree and 100'00 for delivery.
so what would you offer? oh i will try to post a photo of it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: so what would you pay?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »

OK, that's not much info to go on,  but if you're thinking of using it for knife scales,  you're taking about investing (if they take your offer) $300.00 bucks and what ever time you have to put into processing the burl and then the time drying it out into useable pieces, some of which will check in the drying out process, then you're going to have to stabilize them, and shape them to size,  that's a huge investment in time and money,  when you can buy burl scales of many types of wood that are all already to use for under $30.00 bucks a pair on average.
  Just  my opinion of course,  but sometimes trying to get things on the cheap proves to be more costly than it's worth.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
I agree with Moe. Unless you are also going to use the rest of the tree for firewood. I'm wondering what tree it is? We have willow that burls out like crazy but I don't think it's good stuff.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
If you were calculating board feet you'd want to use the diameter at the small end.

I'm not sure if you are saying the tree is 24 feet tall, or the main trunk is 24 feet before the crown branches out.

It would be a good idea to determine what species you're buying to determine potential. Buying a tree for lumber can go to either end of the speculation game. Very very good-very very bad.

@32"x24' you would get around 1k board feet. If the small end is 24" and the log only 17' it would be less than 500bf. If you only want sections, pieces. Maybe you can coordinate, ask them to cut here/there, get it loaded in your truck for a few lunch tickets and post workday case of beer.
   Good luck, sounds like fun
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
what i was thinking was to sell the majority of it
and keep the best for myself. as for checking when drying i can coat with wax,
as for stabilizing no.   whoever buys it will do thier own stabilizing.
given the price of good burl i can easaly recoup my initial cost.
yeah it's a lot of work but what is'nt sometimes. as for being a gamble
it could be. nothing ventured nothing gained. i'll have to see.
i once spent more than that for some burl . so to get a whole tree
even with shrinkage thru drying i'd still have quite a bit.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Michael you better know what kind of tree it is and whether that species produces burl a knifemaker would want. 

I also see that you said it is 32 FEET in diameter which I doubt so it is probably 32".  You might not get as much good wood out of that as you think.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:37:16 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
Where's the sawmill?
I've seen numerous "city" trees that ought to make nice lumber. I've got one prospect lined up now. It's a matter of making sure I have enough cash to complete the transaction and selecting my tree. That, and the understanding that any unforeseen flaws are not a part of the tally going on my trailer.

Burl or not you could still make money on it if you can get high enough quality, yield without too much more investment. A couple times I've heard of a portable sawyer willing to trades services for a portion of the lumber..

I'd suggest finding a sawyer and see how much that adds to the investment. If the city delivered to a yard or a sawmill comes to you-  either has advantages and disadvantages. It's not like you can keep it like a Wolfy summer sausage and slice off what you want as needed.

Edit to say- I agree with the cautions offered as well. At least they are worth hearing and considering. If the tree looks good that's another matter
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:20:45 PM by Unknown »
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
stan the tree is not 32ft'dia i ment inches,
no actual deals have been struck, that said i still have
time to do some reserch.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
As I said, I know it was 32".  There are no 32' trees in Minnesota.  :)

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 05:27:23 AM »
To answer your original question....nothing .  There is enough dead fall or trees already being taken down where "buying" a growing tree to take it down would not be in my game plan.  What do you do when you cut into that burl and it's either rotted or hollow?

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
From Hayshaker:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »
  I'm not a lumberman,  but do have some experience with clearing land and disposing of trees and stumps,  the tree you have pictured above doesn't look like you're going to get much usable lumber out of it,  I could be wrong of course,  but judging form the picture it looks like the grain of the wood would be running every which way,  another thing to consider,  I'd suggest you find a sawyer to look at it and advise you.
  One thing I've run into in my area of the country is that most saw mills will not take any trees that they have not personally cut or contracted for,  about the only businesses that will take "wild" wood are firewood dealers,  the biggest reason they give is that saw blades for lumber mills are expensive and a spike or other debris that the three has enveloped will ruin a saw blade.
  It's one thing if you have the disposable money to risk on the venture, but if you're playing it close and are trying to save bucks you could go broke on this one.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
moe thank you for the input i value your opinion as well as others here.
as for cutting this tree. that's if i even get it. it will be done primarly with
a chain saw. into blocks to dry. for knife scales. the rest for firewood.
i ai'nt a bowl turner.
as what crash said in regards to fallen trees, hmmm. i live on the western prarire
there are no large stands of forests. most all trees are in groves on farm places.
and most folks ai'nt big on lettin people cut thier groves down.
once again thankyou greg.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:25:13 AM by hayshaker »

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
@Moe - the grain running every which way is sort of desired when cutting for knife scales.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Not what I had pictured hayshaker. Hopefully you can get it for free.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
 If that's a Birch tree, it's a very desirable burlwood. Looks like river birch to me, from the photo on my crappy work computer.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10