Author Topic: Vintage Chainsaw project - Craftsman 2.3  (Read 784 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Vintage Chainsaw project - Craftsman 2.3
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Hey folks, been a while since I've posted a thread on a project so I thought I'd post one and see if anyone finds this interesting.  So I've been on the lookout for older chainsaws that are 70's and 80's.  The old all metal ones that they "don't make like they the use to" kind of thing.  Now I'm in an area that was never logging so they have not been plentiful.  Either too beat up or someone thinks there worth a lot of money, regardless of condition.  So anyways I finally got a decent one that is the basic hasn't ran in years and just getting rid of it.  It's a Craftsman 2.3.  My research shows it was probably made by Poulan in the early 70s.  It's a 38cc saw with a 14" bar and chain, though the plate says 16, so it's original bar was probably a 16".  But this actually fills a niche for me as I don't have a smaller saw and it is one of those one handers for limbing jobs, etc.  So kind of neat to me. 

So here it is as it came.  Pretty good condition really, just dirty.

drained the awful gas and sprayed out the tank some with carb cleaner.  Did this s few times.  To give an idea how bad it is the filter is stuck to the bottom of the tank.

back to the bench and will start cleaning it out

cleaning up really nice.  I just used some gas and toothbrush and a wipe cloth

carburetor is done.  The diaphragm and fuel pump are toast so I ordered a set to replace it. 

so at this point I'm waiting for the carb rebuild kit and will get new fuel lines and a filter.  Routing the fuel lines on this thing looks like a doozy.  I may have to take off the flywheel but we'll just see.  I'll update when I have one.

thanks for looking folks! 

If you have any old chainsaw I'd love to see them!

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Vintage Chainsaw project - Craftsman 2.3
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:17:24 PM »
This should be interesting.  Spring is a good time to rebuild a chainsaw. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
Cool! Ah, the memories....
The first chainsaw I ever owned was a garage sale special. An old green Craftsman!
Now you have me on a quest to dig up the specs on that one. All I remember is that it was the type they used to use to build go-carts back in the late 60's. It had a 24"-26" bar (IIRC), and was "direct drive", whatever that meant back then. All I know is that it had enough torque on the chain to rip it out of your hands if it got away from you. Pretty sure it didn't have a kick-back brake on it.

It looked a lot like this one, but it was green.

The "direct drive" meant that it didn't have a automatic clutch in it. With modern saws, if it binds or bogs down the chain stops moving without killing the engine. Not with these old dinosaurs!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:37:46 PM by Old Philosopher »
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
That's neat OP!  I've heard these are mean little saws if you get them running.  That's just a hand guard on the craftsman, it's not a chain brake lever. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
It's awesome that walbro still has all the gaskets and o rings to rebuild their carbs. Even early ones use some of the same gaskets as the newer ones. Great company.

I've seen a few youtube's of guys cutting the fuel line at an angle and tying fish line to it to pull it through. The angle on the hose makes it wedge itself up through the little hole.

If it doesn't get spark clean the ground on the magneto, also the magnet and pickup. Pretty simple machines. If there is compression it's going to run!!!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
That's neat OP!  I've heard these are mean little saws if you get them running.  That's just a hand guard on the craftsman, it's not a chain brake lever.
LOL! There was nothing 'little' about that beast. It weighed in at just under 40 lbs. Too much for me for firewood even in my late 20's.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
It has really good compression.  I don't bother with them if they don't.  yeah hemostat pliers also make running fuel lines easier too.  I'm not worried about getting it done it just won't be as simple as it should be. 

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 06:13:49 PM »
LOL! There was nothing 'little' about that beast. It weighed in at just under 40 lbs. Too much for me for firewood even in my late 20's.

OP I meant the little red one I'm working on.  Not the monster you posted!  LOL!  That thing could winch a truck out of a ditch if you hooked it up right!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Cool.  Breathing new life into old things is always fun.  Now I just have to work on myself.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
Cool.  Breathing new life into old things is always fun.  Now I just have to work on myself.

LOL!  well just go easy on the carb cleaner crash... too much is bad for you they say...

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 04:09:13 AM »
Everything in moderation. :thumbsup: :shrug: :thumbsup:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 06:34:07 AM »
Picking back up here.  So I got the parts in and here's what we are starting with.  Running a new fuel line.  Here you can get a sense for the hard curve it has.

The old fuel filter finally released from the tank bottom after having some gas in it for a few days...

Just for my own amusement I wanted to see if I could get this new line routed without having to take the flywheel off.  So I got some 50lb. braided fishing line and a hook and double it up and ran through the old line and pulled it up through that tight curve.

So I tied off the knot and started trying to coax it through.  I wish I could tell you it worked but the turn was too hard and it wasn't a continuous tube.  One ended and then it had to go into another opening while making that 90 degree turn and up.  It didn't happen and I decided just to see if I could pull it through with force and the knot pulled through the tube.  A better know maybe would have been better.  I do think this idea would work if you have a simpler routing path. 

So had to take the flywheel off.  I used an impact driver for this.

while blowing out the area first I got really lucky as a I forgot to grab the flywheel key before I started blowing.  After I got done I realized it was gone and looked down and it was right by my foot.  That was fortunate cause it's little and could have gone anywhere never to be found..

So routing the line was easy at this point.  Hemostat pliers really make grabbing and pulling on the fuel lines easy. 

Now for the carburetor.  I cleaned it out and then replaced the diaphragm, fuel pump, and gaskets.  All these were old and cracking.

Alright got her all put back together.  Got it fired up and tuned the carb and it's running pretty good.  I took it out by the wood pile to run it through a log.

Not a bad deal for a total cost of about $22

Thanks for looking folks!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
I love it when a plan comes together.

I can't believe how tight that bend looks where it goes through the hole in the case. How is it not kinked closed there? NO EHANOL!!! It'll run forever!

I wish I took a picture of what the ethanol fuel did to my old chevy Carb. It had an expensive Edelbrock on it when I bought it. The ethanol ate a hole right through the side of the case.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
Nice walk-through, OE. Thanks for posting.
You have me all fired up now to get my old Homelite Wildcat re-lined (fuel). I do need it for small jobs and tree triming, and those little machines are just the ticket.
It's good to see stuff brought back to life, especially in this "throw-away" society we've created.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
Thanks guys.  OP I would love to see your Homelite project in action!  Post it up if you can.  XJ yeah that line bend is mind boggling that they designed it that way.  I just left some slack and nothing is pulled tight and it seems okay at the bends.  Yeah I run 100% 89 octane gas and for 2 cycle I use Stihl synthetic at about a 45:1 ish ratio.  Never had any issues with any of my equipment with it.  Hopefully it holds up for a long time. 

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
Nice walk through !
The oldest saws I run are 80's vintage .
Here's a 35$ fleamarket find from a couple of months ago after it was cleaned up , all it needed after the gunk was dumped out of the fuel tank was a carb kit and I was off to the races

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »
I'll run premium fuel at 40:1 with any good brand of mix .
No ethanol in premium up here .

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
Sweet find on that dancan!  That's a beauty for sure.  Did you buy that bar or was it just that clean?  The whole looks almost unused so I'm thinking it's original.  Great score!

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
That bar belongs to a friend , he only let me use it for a pic lol