Author Topic: Snowy Spring Camp w/Filipino Roach Belly BBQ  (Read 934 times)

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
Snowy Spring Camp w/Filipino Roach Belly BBQ
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »
Snowy Spring Camp w/Filipino Roach Belly BBQ

I was supposed to be in Georgia and Alabama this week, but the end of these winter snow storms canceled my flights, both of them. That kept me from a trip I was really looking forward to, but didn?t keep me from camping and enjoying these last days of snow for the year.
     I had a few woods projects I wanted to work on and some skills to practice, both woodcraft and cooking skills. Being a long-time fan of Filipino blades and the country in general it was only natural to gravitate towards their food, mainly?Filipino BBQ! I wanted to do all this to the ambiance of a nice low fire I didn?t have to mess with. After 40 min or more of preparation I had a huge 7-fuel layer pyramid fire with a few layers of kindling, topped with poplar tinder. I also had some fun tools (toys) to use for some projects and was looking forward to the night temperatures being not so cold, low-mid 30s, but windy.

All this warmer weather is melting the snow and filling all these creeks and streams

Natures TP- I use beech leaves as tissue, both dry and green beech are soft, but after a few days the nose gets a bit raw. When the leaves look like this, shriveled and all Seahorse shaped, falling off,  that is the end of winter and Spring is upon us!

Claw or squid tree?you decide

With the snow melting I can easily get the birch bark for kindling

North x North new hooded neck gaiter, the most versatile piece of gear I had in the camp

Pyramid fire into a long fire?work in progress

Bark tinder tongs

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
Re: Snowy Spring Camp w/Filipino Roach Belly BBQ
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:27 PM »
My Mud made Roach Belly Crafts Knife

The belly makes amazing curls

New Camp Must-Have?Stainless steel chopsticks. Super multi-functional! I eat with chopsticks, but these are 12 inches-long and can poke the fire, rearrange burning wood, pick up hot coals that escape, cook, and be used as supports for my hobo-stove.

Pyramid Fire

Filipino BBQ kabobs

This ESEE pouch is easy to clip onto my belt loop and the tag is a good place to store my larger handled ferro rod!

Flat Surfaces in the woods are a real luxury.

-RB

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:27:35 AM »
As always, I great photo spread and a yummy looking meal.
How'd the upside down fire work out for you?
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
  Now that's what I'm talking about,  great trip report Bear, Two thumbs up !!

At first glance you had we wondering how you got a hold of my hobo stove,  I have one that's almost identical made from an IKEA stainless steel utensil caddy,  I made a round plate out of a thin piece of scrap steel that fit's inside the stove and serves as a tray to hold the wood off the bottom and drilled some holes in it for better air flow,  I used a small gage SS rod bent in the shape of a U that fits into the holes like your chop sticks do, I also made a simple crossed pot holder that bridges the open end of the stove,  in that way I can use the stove with the bottom up as a grill surface or open end up as a campfire stove, I can also use it with my larger military Trangia spirit burner.

I love Kabobs with any kind of meat, but I am partial to chicken,  I usually marinate my meat with a home made liquid marinade or a home made dry rub and baste the Kabobs while they are grilling over the fire,  I like Asian or traditional southern BBQ flavors, two "hurry up" ingredients that I like a lot when I don't make my own are Iron Chef brand Mu Shu/Hoisin Sauce diluted with a little water,  and a lite BBQ sauce named Bone Suckin' Sauce.
  I see in your pictures that you marinated your chicken pieces as well,  would you care to share your marinade recipe ?

Thanks again for another great trip thread.       
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »
As always, I great photo spread and a yummy looking meal.
How'd the upside down fire work out for you?

Thank you sir. It was a smooth camp, easy night.
The pyramid offered good coals to cook kabobs over. It resolved into a long-fire, which I slept next to until about 3am.

-RB

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »

At first glance you had we wondering how you got a hold of my hobo stove,  I have one that's almost identical made from an IKEA stainless steel utensil caddy,  I made a round plate out of a thin piece of scrap steel that fit's inside the stove and serves as a tray to hold the wood off the bottom and drilled some holes in it for better air flow,  I used a small gage SS rod bent in the shape of a U that fits into the holes like your chop sticks do, I also made a simple crossed pot holder that bridges the open end of the stove,  in that way I can use the stove with the bottom up as a grill surface or open end up as a campfire stove, I can also use it with my larger military Trangia spirit burner.

I love Kabobs with any kind of meat, but I am partial to chicken,  I usually marinate my meat with a home made liquid marinade or a home made dry rub and baste the Kabobs while they are grilling over the fire,  I like Asian or traditional southern BBQ flavors, two "hurry up" ingredients that I like a lot when I don't make my own are Iron Chef brand Mu Shu/Hoisin Sauce diluted with a little water,  and a lite BBQ sauce named Bone Suckin' Sauce.
  I see in your pictures that you marinated your chicken pieces as well,  would you care to share your marinade recipe ?

That all sounds amazing. If you've ever had traditional Filipino BBQ, you'd be addicted. Very much a combo of sprite, garlic, maybe vinegar, and overall sweetness. I have a store near by that makes them just like I had many times in the Philippines. They sell a packaged powder called Mama Sita's and you really just sprinkle it on, mix in and wait an hour.

-RB

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Nice essay RB.  You appear to like to eat as much as I do.  Great looking meals, especially the kabobs..... Thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »

That all sounds amazing. If you've ever had traditional Filipino BBQ, you'd be addicted. Very much a combo of sprite, garlic, maybe vinegar, and overall sweetness. I have a store near by that makes them just like I had many times in the Philippines. They sell a packaged powder called Mama Sita's and you really just sprinkle it on, mix in and wait an hour.

-RB

Thanks for the tip Bear,  It looks like Walmart carries Mama Sita's line of seasonings and food products in some of their super store grocery department and on line,  including the BBQ mix packets. 
  There's a Walmart super store about 15 minutes from my place,  I'll check it out, hopefully they'll have it in stock.     

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
Cool deal. Maybe amazon would have it, I haven't checked yet. It's pretty good, just sprinkle and mix it in, then let it sit. It's mostly done with Pork in Philippines, but Filipino food places in California, Alaska and in NJ seem to do it with chicken too.

-RB

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

-RB

Thanks for the tip Bear,  It looks like Walmart carries Mama Sita's line of seasonings and food products in some of their super store grocery department and on line,  including the BBQ mix packets. 
  There's a Walmart super store about 15 minutes from my place,  I'll check it out, hopefully they'll have it in stock.   

Maybe call before you go out there?

-RB

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
The Asian food stores/markets in my area carry the Mama Sita's brand of mixes.  It's good stuff, but I haven't had any in a while.  Time to remedy that.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 06:03:30 AM »

-RB

[/quote]

Maybe call before you go out there?

-RB
[/quote]

I have to pick up some fishing supplies anyway,  and I never need a reason to rummage through the camping section,  you never know when you'll run into a spring special sale. 

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
i love pilipino cooking just hold the balut please.
that's for the old manongs. i wish i could have seen the photo spread but all i see are little boxes with x's.

Offline bearthedog

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
i love pilipino cooking just hold the balut please.
that's for the old manongs. i wish i could have seen the photo spread but all i see are little boxes with x's.
I've had it...they can keep it.

-RB