Author Topic: Dayton Tiller - Save Project!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Dayton Tiller - Save Project!
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
Hey folks!  I will be attempting to save an old Dayton tiller with 5hp Briggs and Stratton for my next project.  Date on this engine for this one is December 1981. 

So here's what I picked up.  Not running and hasn't ran in years.  Has good compression and all parts are there and price was right at $20.  I'll post updates and some walk through photos of what it needs.  Offhand I have ordered all new gaskets for the carburetor.  It also has no spark after testing with a confirmed good spark plug so I will be upgrading from the 5 points ignition to electronic ignition.  This weekend will be some disassembly and cleaning.  Gas tank had really old gas and some rust so that will need some thorough cleaning. 

stay tuned and thanks for looking!!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Dayton Tiller - Save Project!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »
So here's what I got done over the weekend.

Air filter was of coarse no good but I was glad to see it had one last time it was used!  cleaned out the housing and cover.

soaking the new one in oil

I decided to just upgrade to the new electronic ignition rather than clean or replace the older 5 points ignition it has.  This is pretty easy as you take the old one off and you can just cut the wires that go behind the flywheel to the 5 points system.  Currently it had a little bit of voltage as you could feel a slight shock when turning it over but not enough to give it the spark it needs. 

new and old

new one in and setting the gap with a business card

taking off the exhaust, tank and carb.

had a surprise waiting for me in the tank.  So the green looking tube should have another pick up tube like the orange colored one attached to it.  Instead someone had rigged fuel line and a fuel filter for a 2 cycle engine to it and that had broken off!

fuel in the tank was pretty nasty and there was a little rust and debris.  So I rinsed it and sprayed it with carb cleaner a few times and I've been letting it soak in vinegar for two days.

So at this point I have some gaskets that should be arriving today and I think I can pick up a fuel pick up tube locally to put on.  Should get to work more on it this week.  stay tuned and thanks for looking!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
My tractor mechanic kept his old B&S 3.5hp tiller engine alive through 2 rebuilds, but the second one didn't last much more than two seasons.  Through the advice of his BIL, who owns and runs a general contracting business, he buys the $99 Harbor Freight Chinese clones of the Honda 5hp engine when he needs to replace the small engines on his construction equipment.   According to the BIL's experience with the clones, the parts for them are almost all directly replaceable with Honda parts.  Just something to keep in mind on down the road when this little B&S starts puking or burning oil and decides to give up the ghost completely. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
Getting the carburetor in order.  Got the gaskets and diaphragm and fuel pick up tube.  Cleaned it out with carb cleaner of course.

cleaned up the metal tube with steel wool.

I boiled the tip of the tube checking it about every minute and it took about 4 minutes for it to get pliable. 

So I started out tapping it down with a piece of wood and hammer but that was not working as I couldn't hold it all together.  So I just used the hammer and kept tapping it down till it seated..  It went smoother than I thought it would.  This was my first time doing this.   

next was a new spring and cover and diaphragm

getting the tank and carb installed back on the tiller

new filter and had to put in a new ground wire.

All done!

And wouldn't you know she runs!  Took a little tuning of course.  The forward and reverse both work.  There a few things left to do.  The throttle is very touchy where it's either full throttle or nothing and feels tight. So getting the in between sorted out will be next.  I will try adjusting the cable and see if that helps.  If that's not it I may replace the spring by the cable mechanism.  I also plan to change the oil and and gear oil and sharpen the tines.  I haven't done a video in a while but I might do one when I get it ready.  Well I am pleased at this point.  Thanks for looking!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:04:30 AM »
Well done, my friend! :thumbsup: :cheers:

I couldn't help but notice the nice pair of vintage, Petersen, MADE IN NEBRASKA Vise-Grips......it's no wonder you were successful in your efforts! :shrug:  :lol:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »
LMAO!  "It's all in the vise-grips!" 

thanks wolfy. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »
Farmers wrench. Nothing better.

I love these old Briggs. My brother bought one brand new in 1977 and we've had it on a million different machines. Mostly mini bikes and go carts.

Where did you order the gasket and carb parts from? I have an older toro snow blower that doesn't get spark and didn't know the newer coils would work with the old flywheel. It's an 8HP briggs with an updraft carb or at least one that doesn't mount on the tank. Killer compression and clean carb. I think with spark it'll run great. I haven't pulled the flywheel yet it might just need a little points cleaning.

Keep sharing friend I love seeing these old machines brought back to life.!!!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
xj I ordered them off ebay after tracking down the part numbers from the engine model that should be stamped on the engine shroud.  If cleaning the points doesn't work the rebuild kits for them are cheap, like around $10.  I just searched google and put in my engine model and then added electronic ignition conversion and the part came up right away and I found one locally from a Stens dealer for $21 so I went that route.  It was really easy, I cut off the two wires going to the points and then just made a ground wire for it.  Since yours is 8hp I bet they are the same and you could probably search to see if it is.  The Briggs and Stratton part number on my 5hp was 397358. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
Good job with this project.  Thanks for all the photos, a guy learns something going over this stuff.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
My tractor mechanic kept his old B&S 3.5hp tiller engine alive through 2 rebuilds, but the second one didn't last much more than two seasons.  Through the advice of his BIL, who owns and runs a general contracting business, he buys the $99 Harbor Freight Chinese clones of the Honda 5hp engine when he needs to replace the small engines on his construction equipment.   According to the BIL's experience with the clones, the parts for them are almost all directly replaceable with Honda parts.  Just something to keep in mind on down the road when this little B&S starts puking or burning oil and decides to give up the ghost completely. :coffee:

Or just add the warranty and replace any ole time it won't start :-X
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »

Or just add the warranty and replace any ole time it won't start :-X
We don't own any of them, but we borrow my buddy's HF-powered tiller every Spring to till the garden and that cheap little Chinese engine starts on the 2nd pull every time we've used it and it runs like a Deere. :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
Thanks. One thing I own that isn't 100% discontinued...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
So I replaced the governor spring and that helped smooth out the throttle some.  This is missing some linkage that helps with the choke on cold starts but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.  I just have to adjust the choke slowly while it warms up a little.  I did change the oil and it's running good and I used it a little and it's tilling like a tiller should.  I plan to sharpen the tines this weekend.  I'll post some action pics once our cold front passes.  One thing I'll add for advice is to make sure the screws on the diaphragm and pump housing plate/cover are tight.  I tightened about what I do on a 2 cycle carbs, with a tight but not risking over tightening them.  Well that wasn't enough as it was leaking fuel a little so I had to take off the exhaust and retightened it all pretty good and it's not leaking now.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
Thanks. One thing I own that isn't 100% discontinued...

XJ I hear that with the ignition coil/magneto if the mounting holes line up right to mount than it should work.  So they are fairly universal with that standard.  I don't have enough junk parts to test it but couldn't hurt to try it if you have a good one around. 

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together. :thumbsup:   So, with $20 for the non-running tiller, a new updated ignition system, some miscellaneous shop supplies and a free degree in small engine repair.... how many frogskins do you figure you have invested in the whole ball of wax? :shrug:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:14 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together. :thumbsup:   So, with $20 for the non-running tiller, a new updated ignition system, some miscellaneous shop supplies and a free degree in small engine repair.... how many frogskins do you figure you have invested in the whole ball of wax? :shrug:

I'm at about $66 total in it.  That includes the air filter and oil though which I consider more maintenance and not repair.  Can't buy one running for even twice that though.     

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
The cap for the throttle lever is missing and adjusting it without it is trickier and uncomfortable.  So I needed to address that.  I took an old hatchet handle that would not be used and cut the end off and proceeded to make a handle for the throttle lever.  I like it!  It's comfortable and adds a little personal touch with my fondness for axes!

thanks for looking!