Author Topic: $1/YD ripstop 3 minute hammock.  (Read 405 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
$1/YD ripstop 3 minute hammock.
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
This is insane. I bought way more of this material than I'll need. I was watching the Derek Hansen 3 minute hammock video and decided to try this. I know it's light weight, there are no selvedge edges, and I thought it was weak.

I was bouncing hard on it. I flopped into it. Even put all my weight on the non hemmed edge getting in and out. After about 15 minutes of beating on this trying to get a failure, nothing did.

My 11 footer is 1lb 6 oz. This one at almost 12 feet is 11.2 oz. It fit inside an old walmart 5x7 tarp stuff sack. That's about a 12 oz soda can size!!!!!!

I also made a summer cover. You can see it hanging from the zing it tarp ridge line at the foot end. I also made a mosquito net from the polyester curtains from walmart cryptic cricket style from his youtube video. It's indestructible netting. Even no see um proof.

That ridge line was a surrogate for a hammock ridge line while making the cover and bug net. I don't hang the tarp inside. ;)

Gonna be a good summer. I picked up "Take A Paddle finger lakes region" by rich &Sue Freeman and have "Canoeing and Kayaking New York by Kevin Strieglmaier. I know I don't need ultra light for Canoeing, Unless I hike in from the water a day!!

See the edge with no fraying material ?

11.4 on the scale but it flopped between 11 and 11.4.

Very thin and see thru. There is no coating on this, very breathable.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: $1/YD ripstop 3 minute hammock.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
COOL! :thumbsup:   Is it wide enough to sleep in it crosswise? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »
68" wide. I haven't slept in it yet though. I need to add a ridge line to it to help with proper sag.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
Can't beat that with a stick. Love hanging when we camp.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »
Okay, I have a little update. Here is my summer setup. Snugpak under blanket, cryptic cricket fronkey style bug net, and diy ripstop hammock. All kept together in one compression bag with enough room for a sleeping bag, couple down throws, or both.

The Compression bag is also water proof and can serve as a water bucket. My tarp is also in a second compression bag and also harbors my net tent for just in case.

The hammock without blankets weighs 5 lbs as it is, in the compression bag.

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
Thanks,  that seems to work very well.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)