Author Topic: Glove choice  (Read 926 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Glove choice
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
I don't do product reviews usually, because the only new gear I've obtained in years has been a couple flashlights.  But I just wanted to pass this info on.

I handle a LOT of wood.  3-6 cords of firewood every year, from hauling, bucking to splitting and making kindling.  The one thing that has always irritated me is how long a pair of gloves will last me, which is usually 1 season, or less in the case of $2 cloth work gloves.
I also do most of the wood handling in the dead of winter, which means wetness rulz.

It's a PITA to post pictures here now, being a 4 step process at best, so I'm just going to grab an image off the 'net to show what I'm raving about.
These gloves I got from my local hardware store for about $12.  I am going into my 3rd wood season with the same pair!  They have neoprene palms and fingers, and nylon backs. They are relatively warm even when soaking wet, and dry in a couple of hours indoors.  They don't stiffen up after drying since they contain no leather. The also fit snugly enough that most tasks can be performed without removing them.  The only time I need to take them off is reaching into a pocket, or opening a non-assisted folder.  After 2 seasons of handling split firewood, there is only one 1/8" tear on the inside of one thumb.
Read the full info on Amazon, and check the ratings.  Good stuff, Maynard!

https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-N9690L-Weather-Acrylic-Fingertips/dp/B00487656E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524421131&sr=8-3&keywords=Ninja+Ice+gloves
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Glove choice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
I am glad to know about these.     :thumbsup:        The palms and fingers are not neoprene, that would not last but a couple of days.  It is a HPT (Hydropellant technology) coating that is protecting your hands and according to the manufacturer it is a durable material designed for material handling.  I will sure try a pair and the price is cheaper than the leather gloves I normally use. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
I am glad to know about these.     :thumbsup:        The palms and fingers are not neoprene, that would not last but a couple of days.  It is a HPT (Hydropellant technology) coating that is protecting your hands and according to the manufacturer it is a durable material designed for material handling.  I will sure try a pair and the price is cheaper than the leather gloves I normally use.
You're right, of course. I typed that before reading the mfg description. I do know they are chemical resistant, and gasoline doesn't penetrate, or affect them.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
I ordered 3 pair of them today, one for me, my wife, and the neighbor.  Amazon thanks you too i suppose. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
I ordered 3 pair of them today, one for me, my wife, and the neighbor.  Amazon thanks you too i suppose. :)
I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. Did they off a choice of sizes? They sort of stretch when you put them on. I originally bought Large, and returned them for Medium. When I tried on the Medium in the store, they felt constricting, but it turned out the Large was TOO loose to handle stuff the way I wanted.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
Yes.  S-M-L-XL-and XXL.  I ordered three different sizes and all of them were in stock. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
Yes.  S-M-L-XL-and XXL.  I ordered three different sizes and all of them were in stock.
So you ordered 3 pair in all three sizes?  Bless Amazon's return policy. :lol:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
A pair for my wife, a pair for my neighbor, and a pair for me.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
A pair for my wife, a pair for my neighbor, and a pair for me.   :P

Where's my pair? If there isn't enough to go around... :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
Your name wasn't on my list for some strange and unknown reason.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
Your name wasn't on my list for some strange and unknown reason.   :shrug:

That's fine, just make sure it is on the next one :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
If my pair doesn't fit I will send them to you.
(Mark Twain)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
If my pair doesn't fit I will send them to you.