Author Topic: Thought Madmax would like to know  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Thought Madmax would like to know
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
Thanks Orbean.  Only someone who is owned by a healer knows how special this breed is.  Of course,  I'm prejudiced.  lol.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
These animals don't get the credit they deserve. I recently watched a video of dogs rescuing other animals. It's incredible how many humans stood by doing nothing as the dogs instinctively dove into action.

One of the most dramatic was a Golden Retriever caught in a sluice of fast moving water after retrieving a stick. The Black Lab ran over bit the stick and pulled the dog up out of the water and saved it from a waterfall.

I've always said I love dog's more than people. As hurtful as it is to lose one, we are blessed to live long enough to love so many. I have lost 6 and have two currently. We won't be getting any more for a few years when these two leave us so we can freely travel for some time.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
We need more stories like this. Thanks.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
Thanks for the inspiring story, Orbean......dogs are just the best. O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
Thanks Orbean.  Only someone who is owned by a healer knows how special this breed is.  Of course,  I'm prejudiced.  lol.

A buddy of mine has a blue heeler and a larger boxer. The heeler, well she is crazy fun nuts, drives the boxer crazy. He had to raise his backyard wall because the heeler would take off and visit the neighbors. She would walk the wall, jump into a neighbors back yard and if the back door was open she would go inside for a visit. She is high energy, too smart for her own good, and he never has to worry about the safety of the kids.

Dogs are very special, i have experienced the death of three now, not one of them easy. I too am going to wait to get my next one, my current buddy is 15 so the time is close. Kind of a morbid thought. Looking forward to getting on the road and tour the west in pieces, two to three weeks at a time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:03:15 PM by Orbean »
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
I have been fortunate to have some really great dogs for companions and hunting partners.  The last four retrievers were all very special dogs and great companions at home and on the road.  I miss every pet we ever had.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
Necro thread revival for a second.  Max is getting up there in years.  He's a Red.  The meme dog is a Blue.  Same breed (heeler) just different color.  I think dogs get smarter as they grow old.  This is more and more Max as time goes by.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
Max has always been very skilled at ignoring what he deems unnecessary.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »
Yeah.  Part of the breed's traits is independent thinking. Like when he's done playing fetch he'll just stand there looking at me.  Done.  If he really doesn't want to walk in the heat, he'll grudgingly walk reeeeeeeal slow until I give up and turn around.  He didn't want to leave Kicco once.  Just sat there with Graylon and Sasha and looked at me as I made a fool of myself calling him to load up.

We used to have this command/obey thing down years ago.  I sometimes wonder if I dropped the ball or he just got more stubborn (another breed trait).  Nowadays he's an old man.  I cut him a lot of slack.  He needs a boost sometimes getting in the truck or on the bed.  He's even more sensitive now to foods that upset him.  He's still curious about new places and last summer held his own when 2 dogs (the male was twice his size) attacked him in NC.  They got bloody.  Max had nary a scratch.  When the owners finally got control of their dogs,  Max went over and pooped in their camp.  I didn't apologize or pick up after him.  Had a swagger to his gate the rest of the day.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:41:12 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 04:13:23 AM »

We used to have this command/obey thing down years ago. 

That's what Max was thinking.  He's probably saying to himself.....How did all of the training I gave Tony go out the window?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »
Lol.  He's a character.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
Sounds like my kind of dog.  One of the family.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
love our heeler's. Daughter has two, Echo was born deaf, she's a beautiful blue, Very smart, loves camping and the water. I couldn't find a photo Of Rue, she's Sasha sister

Max & Sasha

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »
I have a blue heeler female and a German shepherd male. Both great dogs, she is in charge.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
Max saved my ass one time.  We were on a 3 day solo on my SUP.  On the last day I fell asleep in camp.  I woke up late afternoon.  Should've just stayed in camp and paddled out in the morning.  But I haphazardly packed up and tried to hump it to the takeout.  I took the only wrong turn on the river.  Dark thirty I hit a sweeper and Max and I ejected.   I got him up on the tree and salvaged what I could feel floating and trapped by the tree.  You may think Florida doesn't get cold.  You're wrong.  I had a screen tent, paddle, SUP, and Max.  I couldn't find dry land.  This was swamp and cypress knees.  We spooned on the SUP the best we could.  Shivered all night.  Fell off several times.  Max stayed with me the whole time.  The next morning I realized what I had done and paddled out easy.  Except for the shivering.  It took both of us 30 min. in the truck with the heater on full blast to recover.

Good dog.   Without his body heat I'm pretty sure I would have become a statistic you guys would've critiqued brutally.
Hunter S, Thompson