Author Topic: Clothes pin gun  (Read 324 times)

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
Clothes pin gun
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Clothes pin gun
I am dating myself this toy was popular with my my Boy Scout troop
back in the early 50's.  If our parents ever knew about it they never stopped us.
Uses small paper wads, dried peas,wooden match bits, etc. as ammunition.  Caution - although this can be considered a toy the ammunition is fired with force and can really sting.  Can put your eye out.
Step 1.  Assemblying the zapper
Take clothes pin apart and file (or cut) a right angle in the spring groove of one side of the pin as shown.  Reassemble the pin using a rubber band as shown.

Step 2.  Cocking the zapper
Place the spring on the outside of the zapper as shown.  Push on the inside bar of the spring  (I used the half of another cclothes pin) until the bar rests in  the right angle notch you filed in step one.  Place ammunition where indicated

Step 3.  Firing the zapper
The barrel of the spring serves as the trigger.  Pull the barrel towards the rubber band so that the inside bar of the springs pops out of the right angle notch.The bar will send the ammunition flying.  Be careful where you aim the zapper.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Clothes pin gun
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
I'd forgotten about those things, but the OLD clothespins (if you can find them) had a more closely wound and heavier coil spring in them and the wood was harder and higher grade, too.  The last ones I made for my nephews were made from newer CPs and they didn't shoot as far, but I epoxied an angled piece of wood to the rear of the bottom piece for more of a .45 1911-A1 look to them, so they were both happy. :banana: :banana:     

Back in the day, we used to chop the heads off 'strike anywhere' matches for instant 'tracer' ammo! >:D.......but I didn't tell them that. O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
Wow. I thought my generation of Scouts invented these and that guys like Wolfy were unaware of what we were getting up to.
Bwahahaha!
Just kidding. Great reminder though.
Thanks for sharing.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
I had one of these that our Cub Scout group made.  It would have been about 1955.  (Lord, that was a long time ago)  I was shooting it at birds, squirrels and, of course, couldn't hit anything with it.  My mother observed my behavior and took it away from me.  I never saw it again.   :-X
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:56:31 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »
My 5th grade teacher had a desk drawer half-full of them. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
My 5th grade teacher had a desk drawer half-full of them. ;D
I guess I grew up in a rougher neighborhood. The teachers were never able to confiscate our "weapons" because they were impromptu, and disappeared as soon as a shot was fire.

We'd take a regular 12" school ruler, slip the loop of a rubber band over the end, spread open the side of a paperclip and hook in on the other end of the loop. You just pulled the rubber band the length of the ruler while holding the paperclip like the pouch of a slingshot, aim and fire.  From the third seating row in a classroom, that paper clip would chip a blackboard, or draw blood.  :shocked:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.