Author Topic: A little trivia for you  (Read 858 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
A little trivia for you
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
I got this in email today:

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 at age 76, which is odd, because he always
looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27). His death reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside
3 and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery. His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and
service (USMC).
Nothing else.

Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate
burial with these guys?

Well, following is the amazing answer:
I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Marine Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear echelon
posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war
bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is only
one higher Naval award, the Medal of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even
greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson": His guest was Lee Marvin...

Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima, and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely
wounded."

"Yeah, yeah. I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me  the Cross for securing a hot spot
about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting shot
hauling you down. But, Johnny, at Iwo, I served under the bravest man I ever knew. We both got
the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison.

That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get
the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there
as the main target of gunfire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one
occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the
Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, "Where'd
they get you Lee?" "Well Bob..."
"If you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew.
The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man on PBS, gentle and quiet. 

Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays
to our youth.

But Mr. Rogers was a  U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over 25 confirmed kills
to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and
biceps.

He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore, a pacifist.
Vowing to never harm another human, he also dedicated the rest of his life to trying to help
lead children on the right path in life.  He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our
hearts with his quiet wit and charm.
America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did. They quietly go about their day-to-day lives,
doing what they do best. They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy. Look
around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst. Often, they are the ones
you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever happened.

Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom.
With encouragement, they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers.

If you don't send this on, nothing will happen to you. But if you do, you will be awakening
others to what makes a HERO.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: A little trivia for you
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
If it's true and I have no reason to doubt it. It is a amazing story.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »
My wife's sister lived across the street from Mr Rogers for years.  He was just like his personality on TV.  He would often take walks in the neighborhood and wave at kids, adults, and dogs.  Never saw him without a smile.

Sorry to bust the bubble but.

https://navyseals.com/ns-overview/notable-seals/mr-rogers-navy-seal/
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
I was emotionally struck by the stories, so I posted without vetting the info, which is not my habit.  Oh, well....
Per their Wiki Bios....

LEE MARVIN:

World War II
Marvin left school at 18 to enlist in the United States Marine Corps Reserve on August 12, 1942. He served with the 4th Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II.[6] While serving as a member of "I" Company, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, he was wounded in action on June 18, 1944, during the assault on Mount Tapochau in the Battle of Saipan, during which most of his company were casualties.[7] He was hit by machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve,[8] and then was hit again in the foot by a sniper.[9] After over a year of medical treatment in naval hospitals, Marvin was given a medical discharge with the rank of private first class (he had been a corporal years earlier but had been demoted after causing trouble)[9] in 1945 at Philadelphia.[10]

Marvin's military awards include: the Purple Heart Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal, Combat Action Ribbon.

BOB KEESHAN:

Youth, education, military
Keeshan was born in Lynbrook, New York.[3] After an early graduation from Forest Hills High School in Queens, New York, in 1945, during World War II, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, but was still in the United States when Japan surrendered. He attended Fordham University on the GI Bill and a few years at Hillsdale College.

FRED ROGERS:

He became a vegetarian in his mid?40's on ethical grounds, stating "I don't want to eat anything that has a mother."[21] Despite recurring rumors, he never served in the military.[22][23][24]

Too bad most of that message was untrue. Marvin was wounded, but on Saipan, not Iwo..... <sigh>
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Yep, this one has been around a long time and it is untrue.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
Aw - C'mon guys. Next you'll tell Mr. Greenjeans jeans were't really green. I just assumed, but I couldn't tell on the black and white TV. :shocked:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:06:48 PM »
Here's a little more trivia for you.  Mr. Greenjeans didn't wear green jeans on TV.............he wore green BIBS! :lol:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:18:29 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:16 AM »
A dedicated wearer of farmers overalls would know that. The only person I've ever met that actually wore them was my father-in-law.

I've been told Mr. Green Jeans farmers overalls were in fact green, but black and white TV left that to our young imaginations. In the later years, I guess he switched to green jeans and a denim jacket. I can't vouch for that. I saw my first color TV in '64. We didn't get one until probably '68 or so. Captain Kangaroo switched to color in the later part of '66.  By then I wasn't watching morning children's programming.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »
Mr. GreenJeans' bibs sold for $2342 at public auction in 2013! :shocked:    Can you even begin to imagine what a pair of the famous WOLFY BIBS will sell for when I kick? :lol:

https://natedsanders.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=15180&seo=mr.-green-jeans-screen-worn-overalls-from-the-captain-kangaroo-show

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
Mr. GreenJeans' bibs sold for $2342 at public auction in 2013! :shocked:    Can you even begin to imagine what a pair of the famous WOLFY BIBS will sell for when I kick? :lol:

https://natedsanders.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=15180&seo=mr.-green-jeans-screen-worn-overalls-from-the-captain-kangaroo-show

Depends on where the stains are...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
 :lol: :lol

Might have to pick em' up with a stick.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
I like to think of it as 'patina.'  ;D        Lots of collectors would pay a premium for that! :drool:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
Lol.  Don't worry.  That Redman juice stain is sought after.
Hunter S, Thompson