Author Topic: Single strand diamond knot tutorial  (Read 139 times)

Online asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
Single strand diamond knot tutorial
« on: May 05, 2018, 05:24:42 AM »
Single strand diamond knot
Makes an attractive stopper knot

single strand diamond knot tutorial

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Single strand diamond knot tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:51:50 AM »
Nice looking stopper!   I've been using the 3-lobed 'Ashley Stopper Knot,' but that one looks a little more bulky and less likely to slip through a larger pulley.....thanks for another great tutorial!  :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
It looks like a fun knot!

I have problems visualizing in 3D, especially when it involves moving parts.  So I was lost at step 3.  :)

I'm certain if someone demonstrated it in front of me I'd be able to pick it up.  But unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to learn knots from still pictures.  Even the Animated Knots website trips me up once in a while.

<sigh>

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »
Thanks for this one too AS.  I am really going to try and get this one as I have need a stopper knot or two on some of my Turkey hunting stuff. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
It looks like a fun knot!

I have problems visualizing in 3D, especially when it involves moving parts.  So I was lost at step 3.  :)

I'm certain if someone demonstrated it in front of me I'd be able to pick it up.  But unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to learn knots from still pictures.  Even the Animated Knots website trips me up once in a while.

<sigh>

- Woodsorrel

I hope this might help.  The strand end on the left stays put.  You are only moving the right hand end.
Bring the cord over itself to make the first loop
In the same way make a second loop atop the first
Now you have a path to weave from right to left to going over the first strand, under the second, over the first and over the fourth
Now bring the cord from left to right crossing over the stationary end
Now bring the cord over the first strand on the right, under two strands and up through triangle in the middle of the knot
The most difficult part comes now.  Gradually tighten the knot. Do not try to remove all the slack in one go.  Start at either end and follow the knot around giving the cord a slight pull as you go under each crossing of the knot

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
Thanks, asemery!  I'll give it a try.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om