Author Topic: A true BOWIE Knife...  (Read 188 times)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
A true BOWIE Knife...
« on: May 08, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
So I didn't want to take away from this topic; http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=13867.0;topicseen but it got my tiny little brain thinking.

What does the true James "Bowie" knife look like.

So I started down the worm hole of the internet... This is something that I found; https://truewestmagazine.com/its-my-obsession/

I also found this on eBay for $15.00. but no, I didn't buy it... https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-MISSOURI-BOWIE-Hunting-Knife-Carbon-Steel-Leather-Sheath-BONE/391335003689?hash=item5b1d624629:g:f7sAAOSwNSxVeFyf

Thoughts?
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: A true BOWIE Knife...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
I thought that the knife Quenchcrack made was a very good one.  I like the one Phil Collins has (or had) as it is old and likely close to what was used by some frontiersmen of the time.  The one for $15 is one I would pass on.

While it is interesting to look at knives from that period I always remember reading that almost all of the frontiersmen carried butcher knives of some sort. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »
Great find, NW.....I enjoyed reading about Phil Collins and his 'sickness!'  ;)    I've read quite a bit about James & Rezin Bowie and the legendary James Black, whose Arkansas smithy the 'original' Bowie knife supposedly emanated from.  There are two books in my collection that deal with the stories of how & why they were designed the way they were, who owned them and how they came by them.  The truth is, there were a LOT of Bowie-inspired knives that rolled out of James Black's shop.  Some were pretty plain and carried by their owners for protection, but James Bowie had many 'presentation-grade' knives made for bigwigs that he was trying to influence for political and shady land speculation deals that were made outside the realm of legal business channels.  There are very few true 'original' Bowies that can claim to be THE ONE that James Bowie actually carried and each of them have very good credentials, but truth be told, I don't think we'll ever really be able to guarantee beyond the shadow of a doubt that any one of them is THE one. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
The one for $15 is one I would pass on.

No intentions on buying that knife.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
Great find, NW.....I enjoyed reading about Phil Collins and his 'sickness!'  ;)    I've read quite a bit about James & Rezin Bowie and the legendary James Black, whose Arkansas smithy the 'original' Bowie knife supposedly emanated from.  There are two books in my collection that deal with the stories of how & why they were designed the way they were, who owned them and how they came by them.  The truth is, there were a LOT of Bowie-inspired knives that rolled out of James Black's shop.  Some were pretty plain and carried by their owners for protection, but James Bowie had many 'presentation-grade' knives made for bigwigs that he was trying to influence for political and shady land speculation deals that were made outside the realm of legal business channels.  There are very few true 'original' Bowies that can claim to be THE ONE that James Bowie actually carried and each of them have very good credentials, but truth be told, I don't think we'll ever really be able to guarantee beyond the shadow of a doubt that any one of them is THE one. :shrug:

I listened to a "Pod Cast" about the sand bar fight, seems like some of the times haven't changed in politics and land grabbing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
Yeah, the old saying about history repeating itself couldn't be more apparent than what we're experiencing now with today's miscreants, malcontents & charlatans. :spider: :spider: :spider:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »
Phil Collins is a amateur Alamo historian and considered an expert. His collection is amazing, I am not sure where it was, internet or magazine. I bet he is a very interesting person.
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
QFT!  I've seen at least 4 different photos of THE knife...all slightly different.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.