Author Topic: The Stranger in the Woods  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
The Stranger in the Woods
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
Anyone read this?
The story of Christopher Thomas Knight. The Maine Hermit for 27 years.
Maybe I'm a hermit, I don't recall this being in the news.
If you haven't heard or read anything, heres some info.
http://lynncinnamon.com/2018/03/the-maine-hermit-and-his-lady-of-the-woods/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/maine-hermit-christopher-knight-breaks-his-silence-n184956
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: The Stranger in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
I had not heard of that fellow.  1000 burglaries is a bunch, even spread over 27 years.  Given the trash his campsite had strewn around I would think quite a few people knew someone was living there but apparently only one person ran into him? 

He very well may have been, or is, mentally ill but in my view he was a thief.  People like this guy, the guy in Utah who was on the run for several years,  and that McCandless fellow who went off and starved to death in that bus up in Alaska all seem to have the same anti-social issues. 

I try not to judge people (unsuccessfully sometimes) who do stuff like this but in reality he was stealing to live when he had family and a brother who he now works for back home.  Hard to figure what goes on in some folks minds.  His remarks about losing his identity are interesting to me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:20:57 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
There's more to the story Stan. I believe he had three older brothers an one younger sister. It was stated he was smart and grad. high school early. went to school for electronic and worked at installing home and auto alarms. Just one day took off with a tent and backpack, drove his car till out of fuel, left the keys and walked into the woods. Family never reported his missing, said they knew he was on an adventure.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
So for twenty seven years they didn't wonder what happened to him?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
Nope
It was said they were not the show your feelings type
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
Guess there is no love in some folks.  Anyway thanks for posting the story, makes one glad they ain't on that path.

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »
I remember reading about that guy in the newspaper. :coffee:    I also remember my dad saying to me, "Don't get any ideas."  :rolleyes: :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
  I read the story when the guy was finally arrested,  I actually felt bad for the guy in one way and fell for the romanticized version when it hit cable news,  but after learning a little more about him it changed my thinking, what he was is a freeloader,  he was anti social but he wasn't mentally ill,  he just doesn't care to work for a living, and doesn't get along with people,  mostly because they expect him to be responsible for himself and for his actions.
 In my opinion there's a big difference between Hermits, hobos, homeless people, and Bums,  the first three usually make their own way and are self reliant,  Knight was and probably still is a Bum who found it a lot easier to break into peoples homes,  causing damage, and stealing what other folks worked hard to get,  as far as I'm concerned, if he was judged to be mentally ill he belongs in an institution,  if not, he belongs in prison,  and should be kept there and be made to work at what ever job in prison that he's qualified to do, paid what ever the going rate of pay that prisoners are paid for as long as it takes to repay every penny to the people he robbed and caused damage to.
 From what I understand about him his family isn't heartless,  they didn't report him missing or worry about him simply because they were glad to be rid of him.
 I don't mean to sound heartless,  and I'll give anyone who needs it a helping hand, but thieves, liars, and freeloaders need not apply.             

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 06:56:35 AM »
Strange story.   The world is full of strange stories

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Not to make any excuse for this guy Moe, but in what I read he didn't damage anything, but took great pains to make his comings an goings leaving no trace he was there. Other than missing the items he stole. Most were summer cabins that people couldn't remember what they may have done with an item or forgot they had left there. He is still a thief, but didn't break things.
Zig Ziglar

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »
When I read about his story at the time of his arrest, many details were scarce - understandably so.  I know the story has bee romanticized often in books and articles, but a thief is a thief.  Stealing to survive a bad situation that you are thrust into is one thing, but stealing because it is the lifestyle you chose is quite something else.

Hughes said he arrested Knight as he carried meat and other food from Pine Tree Camp in Rome, which serves children and adults with disabilities.

Knight estimated he had broken into the camp more than 50 times over the years and taken thousands of dollars of meat, beer, coffee and other supplies.

Knight stole all the food he ate, including meat and other perishables. Wardens were unsure what he did to preserve those items.

?He doesn?t hunt,? Hughes said. ?He tried fishing a few times but it was too much work.?

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »
  Stealing to survive a bad situation that you are thrust into is one thing, but stealing because it is the lifestyle you chose is quite something else.

That is my thoughts exactly.  He didn't need to steal, he chose to steal for fun to continue his nutjob hobo lifestyle.  Christopher McCandless didn't steal and died starving but an honest man from what I've read.  This man had a passion for the outdoors but that doesn't justify his actions.  I don't see why some admire him for what he did and I don't understand the leniency he was given either.   
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
I received it from my son for my birthday two years ago.
It's a pretty good read. It's not embellished and a pretty straight forward, factual telling of the story.
I remember reading about it in the news when it happened.
My ex-wife was a psychologist and she explained a few of the possible explanations for his behavior.
These ranged from severe social anxiety, autism, anti-social personality disorder, psychosis, and schizophrenia to name a few.
She said it was extremely improbable that he was dangerous.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
My original thought is that the guy is a lowlife thief.  Nothing has changed that.  His family is heartless and he is, as Moe said, a freeloader. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Trader Tut

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »
Chris Mc., Miss identified the berries that he ate. He realized his mistake & so noted in his last journal entry. Yes he was IMO a very unprepared Dreamer. AS for the other Bloke a society Dropout from a very strange family............. Tut
I Farm the Forest - Water & Land - Woodsbum

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 01:26:50 AM »
This was a big story when he was arrested and heavily discussed at several forums. Weird dude. It takes a special kind of strength and resilience to live like he did for decades. I'll make no excuses for his thievery but it's still remarkable to live 27 years as a human shadow, unseen yet surrounded by people looking for him.

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »
This was a big story when he was arrested and heavily discussed at several forums. Weird dude. It takes a special kind of strength and resilience to live like he did for decades. I'll make no excuses for his thievery but it's still remarkable to live 27 years as a human shadow, unseen yet surrounded by people looking for him.

I agree, that he lived like that is amazing by itself. He has to have some kind of mental issue. We had our own hermit like that unfortunately he was very dangerous http://www.koat.com/article/police-identify-cookie-bandit/5030860. He had killed more than a couple of innocent people. He would break into cabins to steal what he needed and most people thought he was harmless. Killed a sheriff deputy, a solo camper, and a couple in Canada.
Nice matters

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
I received it from my son for my birthday two years ago.
It's a pretty good read. It's not embellished and a pretty straight forward, factual telling of the story.
I remember reading about it in the news when it happened.
My ex-wife was a psychologist and she explained a few of the possible explanations for his behavior.
These ranged from severe social anxiety, autism, anti-social personality disorder, psychosis, and schizophrenia to name a few.
She said it was extremely improbable that he was dangerous.

No disrespect aimed at your Ex Yeoman,  but after a long career in LE my experiences are such that I have come to the realization that science has taken a lot of liberty with opinions of what constitutes a mental illness and their published findings tend to be all too forgiving in finding excuses for bad behavior, especially when it becomes criminal. 
  For example, I've had to deal with people who I've arrested for armed robbery, breaking and entering, assaults, vandalism, drug related offenses, domestic abuse, and bullying,  among other types of bad behavior,  most of the time when a crime such as Breaking and Entering becomes a felony the defendant gets a lawyer, either his own or a public defender,  and when a case can't be settled with a plea bargain it goes to trial,  and inevitably the defense attorney brings in an expert witness, usually a Psychologist who then testifies that the poor defendant is suffering from any number of emotional or learning issues, has had a bad childhood,  was abused in some way, was addicted to drugs, his/her parents were divorced,  is suffering from a brain injury from being dropped when he/she was an infant,  or when they were very young a cat farted near them and they were traumatized by the experience,  to which any and all of the above is supposed to  excuse their indiscretions.
  Then there's the other side of that coin,  if you have ever taken a statement from someone who's home has been broken into you would understand the anguish the victims feel,  unless their life savings or an item that has irreplaceable emotional value what ever has been stolen is only of secondary importance,  what they can't get over (and many don't ever get over) is the feeling of being violated,  the safety, security, and privacy they once felt about their home is shattered,  they feeling they experience is the same as having been raped,  and they usually never feel the same way about their homes again.
  Granted, there are some people who have mental and or emotional issues that don't associate well with or in society, many of those can be helped with the proper treatment and medications,  but many don't seek or accept treatment, those I can't allow myself to feel bad for,  we all have choices to make in our lives, and we all have to live with them good or bad,  so when someone makes a decision not to get treated or not take their meds (no matter their reasoning or lack of it) they become a danger to society in some way no matter how big or how small,  they will end up affecting someone else's life in a negative way.
  In my experience the reason Knight didn't cause any more damage than he did wasn't because he had the owners interest in mind or felt any remorse,  it tells me that he was a smart thief,  was intent on covering up his crime,  and knew full well what he was doing and that he was committing a crime.
  I really have a problem feeling empathy for Knight,  he may very well have mental issues,  but he doesn't lack the ability to use rational thought, he planned his crimes well, covered his tracks impeccably, and managed to stay off the radar for a quarter of a century plus,  in my opinion he knew exactly what he was doing, at some point in his life he decided he wasn't going to work for a living and acted on that decision,  I've no doubt that in the beginning he may have stolen out of hunger and need,  but I also have no illusion that he continued out of any sense of desperation, I think the more he stole the better he got at it, and the better he lived off his crimes.
 One more point that makes me believe that he's allot more intelligent than people give him credit for,  evidently while he was committing his breaking and entering of homes, cabins, and youth camps, the guy was as neat as a pin making it look like he was never there, yet when you look at the pictures of his primitive camp you see the complete opposite, it looks like the edges of a town dump,  that tells me he cared deeply enough about not be caught stealing (for several reasons) and be arrested,  but he was too lazy to do the little bit of work it would take to keep his own camp neat.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 02:20:56 AM »
I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.  One can recognize that there's a low-grade mental illness present while simultaneously not feeling too bad for them. The interviews with him made it clear that he had some issues which is probably why he wandered off and became a hermit. That doesn't excuse his actions but it helps explain them.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 04:23:45 AM »
I bought the book and read it the past week. Interesting read not enough about his time in the woods or camp as I was hoping for.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »
Returned home last nite after two weeks of camping and visiting Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah.
What was so refreshing to me was not seeing freeloaders on every corner looking for a handout, because they are to damn lazy to work for there living.
Not until I drove into Salt lake City, stopped to have lunch and had a very skinny lady with a sign asking for food. We did give her some, a bag of trail mix. Here in florida, I usually want give them the time of day. They are usually young, over weight, have great looking cloths and a Bicycle hid. Just to lazy to work.
Zig Ziglar

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
Graylan,  we enjoyed following you on FB this summer.  Brought back good memories.

We had a little culture shock too pulling off I-75 in G-ville after a summer in the mountains.  The "Will work for food" people were literally running up and down the exit ramp to collect $$ from people.  A couple of tweekers had me holding my 9 mm in hand until the light changed.  One wasn't long for this world by her looks.  Sad.  I didn't hand out any money.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »
what's a tweeker? is that anything like a twerker/ don't know just curious

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »

Someone addicted to meth of other speed drugs. Usually exhibit obsessive compulsive behaviors. Poor teeth, sunken eyes, usually having a bad hair day is a way of life for them.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 04:11:27 AM »

LOL.  I guess we can be thankful there were no twerkers on the off ramp.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
Graylan,  we enjoyed following you on FB this summer.  Brought back good memories.

We had a little culture shock too pulling off I-75 in G-ville after a summer in the mountains.  The "Will work for food" people were literally running up and down the exit ramp to collect $$ from people.  A couple of tweekers had me holding my 9 mm in hand until the light changed.  One wasn't long for this world by her looks.  Sad.  I didn't hand out any money.

Hope you had a good time in NC as well Tony. We sure enjoyed our trip hanging out with the kids, doing nice day hikes, eating lunch along a trail or stream and the views were unreal. As soon as I can download all the photo's and trans to a host site I'll start a thread to share here.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
I was born and raised in the general area where this guy is from. North Pond being about 20 min away. Beautiful clear lakes in that area.

He probably started breaking in to camps out of necessity. Maine winters can have stretches of cold down to -20 F day and night for as long as 2 weeks straight in my experience. He probably had no choice at first short of going back to civilization which I assume he felt was a worse option. I can understand that feeling at times. He obviously had no money either. How would you survive in that environment for 27 years without money? He couldn't go to the market and barter with squirrel pelts.

The point is that he wasn't just a petty thief. It's a story about someone who just doesn't fit in our society but on the other hand can't survive without it. I would think that some people who frequent this forum could relate somewhat. I feel bad for the guy, he must be so miserable living in a house.

"solitude bestows an increase in something valuable, ...my perception. But...when I applied my increased perception to myself, I lost my identity. There was no audience, no one to perform for...To put it romantically, I was completely free." - Christopher Knight
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
No excuse for stealing other people's food and gear.  He trashed his camp area, it looks as bad as what the protesters did up in North Dakota on the pipeline. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
No excuse for stealing other people's food and gear.  He trashed his camp area, it looks as bad as what the protesters did up in North Dakota on the pipeline.

That's exactly right.  I hate thieves.  Romanticizing it is bull.  And those "noble peoples" in ND left tons (literally) of human waste for the government to clean up.  Again bull.   
Hunter S, Thompson

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »

Very true, seeing the aftermath picture of the pipeline protest made my head shake. The fact that he survived that many years is not  heroic, and the only real skills needed were the ability to break into unoccupied houses.
Nice matters

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »
Like that fellow said over a hundred years ago "There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy". I sincerely believe it and that Knight is an example of this on a micro scale.
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
There's no reason for ANYONE to go hungry in this country!  There are tons of outlets for food for people that need it.....the many U.S. Government programs, private individuals donating to food banks, church-sponsored food programs, etc.  Do a little research and see just how much of the money that is committed to the 'farm program' actually ends up in the hands of farmers.....the majority of those funds are doled out to those who ask for food.  Subsidized by the U.S. taxpayers (farmers included), so I have no pity for any scumbag that steals food or anything else from other people, just because they choose to!  >:(

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:53 PM »
Funny I thought this thread was about the story of Chris Knight. This forum can?t keep a thread on track unless it?s a ing political thread. Lol ya?ll still wandering why folks don?t stay.

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
There's no reason for ANYONE to go hungry in this country!  There are tons of outlets for food for people that need it.....the many U.S. Government programs, private individuals donating to food banks, church-sponsored food programs, etc.  Do a little research and see just how much of the money that is committed to the 'farm program' actually ends up in the hands of farmers.....the majority of those funds are doled out to those who ask for food.  Subsidized by the U.S. taxpayers (farmers included), so I have no pity for any scumbag that steals food or anything else from other people, just because they choose to!  >:(

Maybe you don't get that this man was charged in a specialty court for the mentally ill and other special cases - for good reasons.

Otherwise you sound like a nice friendly fellow.

Funny I thought this thread was about the story of Chris Knight. This forum can?t keep a thread on track unless it?s a ing political thread. Lol ya?ll still wandering why folks don?t stay.

I forgot why I haven't been on this forum for a year. My mistake lol.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

Actually, I kind of liked this forum because the conversations meander just like they do around a real campfire. Guys pull up a stool and join in while others leave for a bit or retire for the night. As they do, the conversations drift. Sometimes they even get blown completely off course.

Very seldom does someone around the fire say "Yeah, well, we're not talking about that now."

Or "Jeez that was fun, what do you want to talk about now?"

If someone makes a comment that is to far off the track, it is ignored. Sometimes to the chagrin of the speaker. But it will probably be brought up again just to keep everyone involved and prevent hurt feelings.

People come and go around the fire. Some never return to the campground. Not because there was anything wrong, it's just how life moves on.

Like I said, I kind of like it. The only thing missing is a roasting stick and shot glass. :) :fire1:

Oops, that really took the thread off course. Feel free to ignore. I promise not to get a hurt butt. :doh:

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »
Wow a butt hurt comment from a guy with less than a 100 post lol never seen that before. I?ve actually camped and paddled rivers with half these guys s in this thread. I busting their balls. Back off killer!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 04:39:15 AM »

Actually, I kind of liked this forum because the conversations meander just like they do around a real campfire. Guys pull up a stool and join in while others leave for a bit or retire for the night. As they do, the conversations drift. Sometimes they even get blown completely off course.

Very seldom does someone around the fire say "Yeah, well, we're not talking about that now."

Or "Jeez that was fun, what do you want to talk about now?"

If someone makes a comment that is to far off the track, it is ignored. Sometimes to the chagrin of the speaker. But it will probably be brought up again just to keep everyone involved and prevent hurt feelings.

People come and go around the fire. Some never return to the campground. Not because there was anything wrong, it's just how life moves on.

Like I said, I kind of like it. The only thing missing is a roasting stick and shot glass. :) :fire1:

Oops, that really took the thread off course. Feel free to ignore. I promise not to get a hurt butt. :doh:

Good post, and I agree,  when ever friends and guests get together, whether at a campfire, cocktail party, or dinner, nobody I've ever heard says, "The conversation has started, this is the topic, stay on track,  or get out".

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »
Wow a butt hurt comment from a guy with less than a 100 post lol never seen that before. I?ve actually camped and paddled rivers with half these guys s in this thread. I busting their balls. Back off killer!

I've been here since the beginning and didn't know about the 100 post rule,  nor that one had to belong to a special group before posting one's opinion,  funny how things get missed along the way.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 05:02:52 AM »
Then why bother starting new threads let?s just have one that never ends or can find pertaining content. It all seems to end the same. Lol

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »
Look out. Swamphanger's back.

Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
Excellent point Pete Bog. I Hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Just thinking
? on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:48 AM ?
  This is the fifth day in a row that I log on to B&B and find that I'm either the only one logged in or that there is one other member already here, it used to be that on any given week end day or holiday there'd be at least a dozen members and some guests looking in. 
  I was last here yesterday for a short time after supper,  since then only two posts have been written,  neither one having anything to do with Blades or Bushlore.
  Is it that people have lost interest in hiking, camping, self reliance, or wilderness skills,  or have they just lost interest period ???

Moe you wrote this and maybe you should reflect on it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
Are we getting off topic AGAIN? :shrug: :lol:

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Lol that?s what?s expected.

So to get back to the story/book After which I read its hard to believe he did not have some sort of anti social disorder. Especially to be As young as he was to just walk away from it all without some major traumatic event. Maybe there is still more to know about the real reason he did not share with the author. Hard to believe he didn?t feel the need to at least go to town to visit a woman.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
I have to admit, I fantasied about doing that. I think I would have worked for food. Chopping firewood, mowing lawns, painting, sheet rocking, and maybe just helping with trivial chores around the house.

I used to work for $4 an hour at age 14 for several neighbors. I Think once there was a customer base (few friends?) Life would have been easier and legal.
I guess I still kind of fantasize about it. Mexico? Hmmm....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
I thought Pete's post was pretty accurate and it is one of the reasons I like this forum.  The thread wandered around like some do and was pretty interesting over its run.

I never heard someone on this forum denigrate somebody for not having enough posts to have an opinion.  That was a piss poor thing to do regardless of how many people you have paddled with. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Just thinking
? on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:48 AM ?
  This is the fifth day in a row that I log on to B&B and find that I'm either the only one logged in or that there is one other member already here, it used to be that on any given week end day or holiday there'd be at least a dozen members and some guests looking in. 
  I was last here yesterday for a short time after supper,  since then only two posts have been written,  neither one having anything to do with Blades or Bushlore.
  Is it that people have lost interest in hiking, camping, self reliance, or wilderness skills,  or have they just lost interest period ???

Moe you wrote this and maybe you should reflect on it.

It's pretty obvious that I have reflected on not only that post but several others that I've posted on the same topic in a different way,  it's also obvious at least to me that the problem is not too much content, but not enough content.
 One of the reasons this forum was started was because the other one we all belonged to was censoring post, closing threads, and banning members because of the they were speaking their minds,  which obviously rubbed some people the wrong way either by a differing opinion, or the mere mention of DC,  the Pathfinder store,  or god forbid voicing a disagreement with someone in the inner circle.
 So now at a time when this forum is down to a handful of steady posters you want to start censoring some of the little content we have left ??? ?     
 My suggestion is that if a particular post or thread either doesn't interest you,  rubs you the wrong way,  or offends your own specific belief system,  ignore it,  you have the power in your fingers, keyboard, and or mouse to not participate in that conversation.   

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
I have to admit, I fantasied about doing that. I think I would have worked for food. Chopping firewood, mowing lawns, painting, sheet rocking, and maybe just helping with trivial chores around the house.

I used to work for $4 an hour at age 14 for several neighbors. I Think once there was a customer base (few friends?) Life would have been easier and legal.
I guess I still kind of fantasize about it. Mexico? Hmmm....

I think we all have done that. But doing the odd jobs would allow you to interact with people which is a normal human social behavior. That?s why I found his interesting.