Author Topic: Trying to get back here  (Read 597 times)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Trying to get back here
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »
Hey everybody!  I?ve really missed being on here as much as I used to.  Life seems to get in the way a lot recently.  I?m thankful for having a job, but working 10-12 hour days gets really old, really fast. 

Had a cancer scare, but the biopsy came back clean and I?m very thankful for that!!  Funny how dealing with that really makes a guy reflect on things in general.  Plus getting older too, lol

Kathy and I are taking a few vacation days to go camping and check out a new place to backpack, then back to the house for a lot of needed attention.

Hope everyone is doing well and we?ll check back in when we get home!!

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Trying to get back here
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:58:42 PM »
Nice to hear from you.  Bring back a story from your trip.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
 :welcome: BACK!

I was missing your posts, Dan. :'(   It's good to hear from you again! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
:welcome: BACK!

I was missing your posts, Dan. :'(   It's good to hear from you again! :cheers:

What he said.   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
Miss having you around the campfire. Looking forward to having back.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »
Thanks for the update Dano!  As others have said it's good to hear from you and hope you will be back more often
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
I'm glad you are doing well!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, good to hear from you!!

We camped at a new-to-us state park that allows ?back country? camping.  They have 7 designated sites for backpacking, but only allow camping in those sites.  They have included a metal fire ring with grate, but encourage the use of fueled camp stoves.  Their rules differ in these sites by allowing campers to collect firewood from the ground, or dead standing.  Our state law prohibits collecting firewood from the natural humus in any state park, so they have made an exception here.

Since the sites are designated, they all have clearly defined trails leading to them.  This takes away using maps and compass for navigating to find a desired place, hiking in and setting up camp.  I did however find a set of rules which mirror our National Forest, stating campsites must be a minimum of 100 feet from any marked trail and preferably not visible from the trail, and at least 100 feet from any water source.  We asked one of the employees at the office if that meant you could backpack camp in areas other than the designated sites, and he wasn?t sure, referring us to the park manager.  I?ll check with them at a later date, and probably request something in writing just to be safe.

While this wasn?t what we were expecting, there are a few pluses to their concept.  The hike in and out of the sites is pretty easy because the trails are maintained.  They do cut up downed trees and pile the wood near the trail, so if a person really had to, they could hike back a ways and find fairly decent firewood. 

Of the seven, we could only find signs of recent usage in three and I would guess the most recent to be at least three weeks ago.  We did find a couple sites we really liked and which I think will work out best for our friends too.  They prefer to use a small tent, while Kathy and I are using hammocks for the time.  Neither of us can handle the ground anymore, even using pads under our sleeping bags.

In all, we had a good few days away from work and home which we really needed!  The humidity was really bad, but the pop-up has a/c, so we somehow survived.  There was rain predicted one evening, so we took a small tv and a couple movies just in case.  Turns out we got to use it after all, so that was kinda fun too!

Need to stop blabbering, but it was good to get back on here and say hi, and to get out and camp a few days too.

Take care!

PS- Wolfy I got your PM and am sorry for not getting back with you yet regarding the iPad

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
longtime no see, good to see you back.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
Thanks hayshaker!