Author Topic: Raging River Bushcraft Haversack  (Read 634 times)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
Raging River Bushcraft Haversack
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:41:20 AM »

A few weeks ago I had the unfortunate displeasure of having my car broken into. The thief stole a couple of knives, a fire kit, and my Helikon Tex Bushcraft Satchel... just before my recent trip to Alberta Canada to visit Banff National Park.

Dan Edwards from Raging River Trading was kind enough to send me one of his Bushcraft Haversack to use on my trip and to evaluate and review for the community if I wanted to. I'm not being paid to review this, nor were there any conditions or requirements. Dan just wanted my honest opinion and critique to see if there were any areas to improve on his design.

A lot of companies say their products are "military grade", I've never been in the military so I can't verify whether this haversack truly is "military grade" but I do know it's built with 1000D nylon Cordura, heavy duty components, made in America, made by Dan Edwards who served in the US Coast Guard where he made his own gear for himself and his squad to use. In my assessment, it's as tough and as durable as anything from Maxpedition, Vanquest, 5.11, etc...

Some people really love haversacks and some don't care for them. I personally love haversacks. When you need quick access to your gear, haversacks are hard to beat. I usually toss in camera equipment and will pull it out as needed. This haversack has molle webbing all over- the front, sides, bottom and even on the shoulder strap- ideal for a cellphone holster or GPS.

The Raging River Bushcraft Haversack was probably inspired by old military shoulder bags like this Polish military "bread bag" or some other similar type bag.

photo credit- http://oblio13.blogspot.com/2012/12/gear-that-works-military-bread-bags.html

DETAILS

-Dimensions: 12" x 12" x 3"

-Materials: The RR haversack is made out of heavy duty 1000d nylon Cordura- water resistant, rot proof, and extremely durable.

-Hatchet Loop: The RR haversack's hatchet loop is in the front, which I prefer over having it in the back and against my hip. I had no problems inserting my Eastwing No. 1 Hatchet, Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel, and CRKT Chogan... but my Fiskar's hatchet didn't fit, due to it's over exaggerated swell at the bottom of the handle. I believe most wood handled hatchets will work fine.

-Molle Webbing: The RR haversack has 2 panels of webbing in the front both 3 rows and 3 columns. The sides both have 4 rows and 2 columns. It also has webbing on the bottom to accommodate bedroll straps and even webbing on the shoulder strap for your smart phone or GPS.

-Side Sleeves: I really like the side sleeves on the RR haversack. Perfect for a folding saw and a Mora.

-Shoulder Strap: The shoulder straps are 2" wide, adjustable, and has a detachable buckle to help you take it off after a long hike. There's an included thick shoulder pad. There's a velcro keeper to bundle up extra shoulder strap length, to keep things nice and neat.

-Pockets: The RR haversack has 2 internal zippered pockets, one 12" x 12" and the other 12" x 10". I would put maps, paperwork, and valuables in them.

-Extra Pouches: The RR haversack comes with two included pouches at no extra charge- a 5" x 7" mesh pouch and a tinder pouch.

-Craftsmanship: Excellent stitching. I have a little pet peeve when it comes to stitching. I like it straight without loose ends and Raging River does an excellent job. I'm the guy who pulls out the lighter and burns up all the loose threads. Do you do that too or is it just me?

Conclusion

I would recommend this haversack if you're looking for something bombproof and something really versatile, due to all the molle webbing. It has added extras like the shoulder pad, extra pouches, and lifetime warranty. I also like that fact that the 1000d nylon cordura is stiff and doesn't wrinkle, it'll stand where you place it. Raging River will do custom colorways and options. There's a model with a water bottle holder.

Critiques: I would like a drag handle on the bag so it'll be easier to grab and go, to and from the car. I'd like to see the hatchet loop enlarged enough accommodate the Fiskars x7 hatchet, since it's very common. I personally like the heavy duty fabric, but some might think it's extra weight. I like Raging Rivers Patch, but would also like to see a vecro patch for additional patches.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Raging River Bushcraft Haversack
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:40 AM »
 Great review, thanks for sharing.

I like shoulder bags,  call them haversacks, messenger bags, game bags, or large shell bags, what ever, backpacks are difficult for me because of the arthritis in my arms and shoulders, I have a devil of a time slipping them on and off,  I've tried Sling bags also and found them to be too uncomfortable to carry.
 When I need a backpack I have three that work well for me, a Frost River Scout pack, a medium sized Red Head assault pack, and my most comfortable of any pack I've owned, a vintage LL Bean Traditional Continental Ruck, but most of my outings now are day hikes or fishing/hunting forays,  I still like to carry all the fives "C"'s of survival plus first aid, a few tools, and some comfort items, at least a liter of water and food for the day.
 I know that sounds like a lot of stuff, but with proper planning and gear selection I can get it all into my Barbour Game bag or Jumbo Versipack and keep it at or about ten pounds of carry weight,  by shifting either bag from my hip to the middle of my back occasionally I can carry them comfortably for long stretches without any discomfort.
 One bit of advice I'd have for someone contemplating getting a Haversack/shoulder bag for a hiking bag, look for a sturdy, well build bag made of heavy weight cotton, canvas, or Cordura material, double stitching, good quality zippers if they are included, and at least a 2" wide shoulder strap with a well padded shoulder pad.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
Great review, thanks for sharing.

I like shoulder bags,  call them haversacks, messenger bags, game bags, or large shell bags, what ever, backpacks are difficult for me because of the arthritis in my arms and shoulders, I have a devil of a time slipping them on and off,  I've tried Sling bags also and found them to be too uncomfortable to carry.
 When I need a backpack I have three that work well for me, a Frost River Scout pack, a medium sized Red Head assault pack, and my most comfortable of any pack I've owned, a vintage LL Bean Traditional Continental Ruck, but most of my outings now are day hikes or fishing/hunting forays,  I still like to carry all the fives "C"'s of survival plus first aid, a few tools, and some comfort items, at least a liter of water and food for the day.
 I know that sounds like a lot of stuff, but with proper planning and gear selection I can get it all into my Barbour Game bag or Jumbo Versipack and keep it at or about ten pounds of carry weight,  by shifting either bag from my hip to the middle of my back occasionally I can carry them comfortably for long stretches without any discomfort.
 One bit of advice I'd have for someone contemplating getting a Haversack/shoulder bag for a hiking bag, look for a sturdy, well build bag made of heavy weight cotton, canvas, or Cordura material, double stitching, good quality zippers if they are included, and at least a 2" wide shoulder strap with a well padded shoulder pad.

Great post!  Thank you for all that information.  I like carrying the bag on my back vs the hip as well when the loads get heavier.  I really like your packs!  I'd love to purchase a FR one day and I've been eyeing the LL Bean for a while too.  Good advice, I like quality gear- buy once, cry once.... or something to that effect.

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
Cool review and it looks like a great bag, but one trip does not make for a true test of a piece of outdoor equipment. A couple of dozen trips will add to the usefulness of the review.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »
Great review of what appears to be a great bag, but how many frogskins will it cost? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the clear, and straightforward pics. Two ditty bags made to fit- I like that, since those lil boogers are always needed for any top load type bag. Except for the molle, it seems pretty sensible in the way it's set up- like the side pockets and the hatchet sleeve. My shoulder bag is a bit smaller, still the vertical gussets beg to be compartments. Making them so seems spot on to me. Though the sleeve fits well with the construction and simplifes adaptability (for tools, different users) I'd still prefer the hatchet holder on the back of the bag- just so I didn't have to unlatch the lid to get my axe.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Good review and good photos to go with it.  I like the bag and the only thing I would change is what Unknown mentions as far as a hatchet goes.  I also prefer the type of holder where you insert the hatchet handle up through the top loop and then turn it 180 degrees so the handle points down and fasten it with a separate strap.  (the way ice axes were traditionally carried on a small back packs.  With the haversack it would require a blade cover of some kind.

I looked it up.  Price is $99.95  (100 of them frogskins Wolfy was asking about)

They have some nice stuff too.  Pricey but really looks to be well made. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »
Almost any application I see, even this one, is going to need a seperate mask on that B&B quality edge.

Ultimately, a scheme that has the head along the bottom of the bag with the haft pointing up would be my preference, even if you might see me some other time with another haft hanging down.
   The size of the Bag, again, begs for its own scale of tool size.

That's why I'm not so fond of molle, rather than attach auxiliary bags all over- I'd choose a larger bag... better to do without than wear cargo shorts but any shirt, vest or coat pocket in lower temps -works too
                                                  -Unknown

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »
Almost any application I see, even this one, is going to need a seperate mask on that B&B quality edge.

Ultimately, a scheme that has the head along the bottom of the bag with the haft pointing up would be my preference, even if you might see me some other time with another haft hanging down.

That's why I'm not so fond of molle, rather than attach auxiliary bags all over- I'd choose a larger bag... better to do without than wear cargo shorts but any shirt, vest or coat pocket in lower temps -works too

Thanks for the input!  Larger bags do allow for more gear, and I usually oblige and fill it up!

Good review and good photos to go with it.  I like the bag and the only thing I would change is what Unknown mentions as far as a hatchet goes.  I also prefer the type of holder where you insert the hatchet handle up through the top loop and then turn it 180 degrees so the handle points down and fasten it with a separate strap.  (the way ice axes were traditionally carried on a small back packs.  With the haversack it would require a blade cover of some kind.

I looked it up.  Price is $99.95  (100 of them frogskins Wolfy was asking about)

Hey brother, I like carrying large axes that way too.  I have a Hidden Woodsmen haversack here that I plan on reviewing and comparing the two bags.

Thanks for the clear, and straightforward pics. Two ditty bags made to fit- I like that, since those lil boogers are always needed for any top load type bag. Except for the molle, it seems pretty sensible in the way it's set up- like the side pockets and the hatchet sleeve. My shoulder bag is a bit smaller, still the vertical gussets beg to be compartments. Making them so seems spot on to me. Though the sleeve fits well with the construction and simplifes adaptability (for tools, different users) I'd still prefer the hatchet holder on the back of the bag- just so I didn't have to unlatch the lid to get my axe.

Good point about quicker access to the axe when it's held in the back of the haversack.  Thanks for the input brother!

Great review of what appears to be a great bag, but how many frogskins will it cost? :shrug:

It's $99.95, the Hidden Woodsmen it $85.  Both very good haversacks.

Cool review and it looks like a great bag, but one trip does not make for a true test of a piece of outdoor equipment. A couple of dozen trips will add to the usefulness of the review.

Very true Orbean.  I agree longer testing would yield a more in-depth review.   We, my gf and I, only carried for the 7 days we were in Banff National Park.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
The thing with haversacks, as I see it, is that there is the tendency to fill them with too much stuff.  They get heavy quickly and can be a huge pain in the neck......shoulder & back.   That being said, I carry one more than any other type of pack, just because my main one is pre-filled with all the essentials that I need every day.  Most of the time it remains on the 'tranny hump' in my pickup so I can grab my camera, binoculars, GPS, compass 8), heavy key ring, water bottle, sheath knife, etc.   

My haversack/man purse is a cotton canvas Duluth Pack #3 'shell bag' that I've carried for many years. It has been repaired-reconditioned once because the flap wore out from constantly flipping it open.  Strangely, it wears out at that point rather than on the bottom where you would naturally assume it would wear out first. :shrug:    When I sent it back to the company for repair I had them use the heaviest canvas they offer......like that in the heavy duty #3 Duluth packs.  Problem solved. :thumbsup:   

They offer the #3 shell bags with leather bottoms, but that isn't where they wear out.....it's the flaps that go south first.  If I were considering buying a new haversack from Duluth today, I would have them use the heaviest fabric they have as a 'custom' option instead of putting the extra frog skins into leather bottoms that appear to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :coffee:

The nylon haversack in the OP looks bullet proof and has a lot of features that my old shell bag doesn't.  If I were in the market for one today, I might just have to spring for one.  $99 doesn't go as far as it used to and this one seems to be well worth the expenditure.  If I'd tested it myself, I suspect it may have earned the coveted WOLFY APPROVED stamp of approval. :lol:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:33:25 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »
The thing with haversacks, as I see it, is that there is the tendency to fill them with too much stuff. [1.]  They get heavy quickly and can be a huge pain in the neck......shoulder & back.   That being said, I carry one more than any other type of pack, just because my main one is pre-filled with all the essentials that I need every day.  Most of the time it remains on the 'tranny hump' in my pickup so I can grab my camera, binoculars, GPS, compass 8), heavy key ring, water bottle, sheath knife, etc.   

My haversack/man purse is a cotton canvas Duluth Pack #3 'shell bag' that I?ve carried for many years. It has been repaired-reconditioned once because the flap wore out from constantly flipping it open.  Strangely, it wears out at that point rather than on the bottom where you would naturally assume it would wear out first. :shrug:    When I sent it back to the company for repair I had them use the heaviest canvas they offer......like that in the heavy duty #3 Duluth packs.  Problem solved. :thumbsup:   

They offer the #3 shell bags with leather bottoms, but that isn't where they wear out.....it's the flaps that go south first.  If I were considering buying a new haversack from Duluth today, I would have them use the heaviest fabric they have as a 'custom' option instead of putting the extra frog skins into leather bottoms that appear to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :coffee:

The nylon haversack in the OP looks bullet proof and has a lot of features that my old shell bag doesn't.  If I were in the market for one today, I might just have to spring for one.  $99 doesn't go as far as it used to and this one seems to be well worth the expenditure.  If I?d tested it myself, I suspect it may have earned the coveted WOLFY APPROVED stamp of approval. :lol:

[1.] that's the problem I have, whatever size the container, I'll fill it to the brim.  That's really smart pre-filling it with essentials instead of what I do, run around the room and toss in whatever I "think" i may need.

Duluth packs  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  I love brands like Duluth, Woolrich, Filson, etc...  I have a really old wool jacket from Woolrich that belonged to my grandfather. 

The "shell bag" sounds perfect for the kit you mentioned about.  I like repairing and reusing my gear too, instead of buying new.  One, I'm cheap and two, I hate filling up landfills with something we can reuse.   

Thanks for your response and input, I have the "shell bag" bookmarked!

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 05:51:24 AM »

Thanks for the input!  Larger bags do allow for more gear, and I usually oblige and fill it up!

Hey brother, I like carrying large axes that way too.  I have a Hidden Woodsmen haversack here that I plan on reviewing and comparing the two bags.

Good point about quicker access to the axe when it's held in the back of the haversack.  Thanks for the input brother!

It's $99.95, the Hidden Woodsmen it $85.  Both very good haversacks.

Very true Orbean.  I agree longer testing would yield a more in-depth review.   We, my gf and I, only carried for the 7 days we were in Banff National Park.

Thank you for taking the reading my post as it was meant. Seven days does make for a good intial time period for a review, so knowing that, your review  carries more weight with me. Not that i did not like it orginally. It would be interesting if you were to add your thoughts as times goes on. 
Nice matters

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
Thank you for taking the reading my post as it was meant. Seven days does make for a good intial time period for a review, so knowing that, your review  carries more weight with me. Not that i did not like it orginally. It would be interesting if you were to add your thoughts as times goes on. 

Thank you brother!  I appreciate the feedback.  You were 100% correct.  I will definitely update this thread.  Cheers brother!

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 07:17:33 AM »
not a bad looking bag.  I am wedded though to my Maxpedition FatBoy Versipack.   15 years of daily use,  with no issues.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
I like everything about the looks & layout of that bag - except the molle webbing on the front - just because it's either something to snag or a way to make the load balance poorly IME.
thanks for the review.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 02:55:28 AM »
I made a video review to go along with the written review.

I like everything about the looks & layout of that bag - except the molle webbing on the front - just because it's either something to snag or a way to make the load balance poorly IME.
thanks for the review.

Ttat's a good observation.  I added a full canteen to the side which becomes the front of the haversack while it's on my side and as I walk, it's works out pretty well.  The only thing I added to the front molle was a flashlight holster.

not a bad looking bag.  I am wedded though to my Maxpedition FatBoy Versipack.   15 years of daily use,  with no issues.

I believe it!  It's that 1000d cordura, it's tough as nails.   

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
That Alberta place is beautiful. Thanks for the video addition to your review.

The first pouch I made did not have any lips or extension of the gusset to help seal the mouth of the bag when the flap(lid) was closed. It was quite the failure really since it wouldn't close up tight unless 1/2 full with lid pulled down tight. I've only thought of those fold in flap things as extra long gusset- and that's how they should be made.

Seeing the way yours is made- as well being very functional, gave me a notion. I think if I make another bag I will use something similar, except that it be full width, rather that meeting in the middle. And, make it in some fashion ( zipper, Velcro, button?) to be another pocket. A place for keys, phone, snack..things I'd like to see every time I open the bag"ah ha still there haven't lost that piece yet.  :shrug:
                                                  -Unknown