Author Topic: trying to get ready for winter  (Read 246 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
trying to get ready for winter
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
I know it may sound funny to most to read the
title of the thread, but it's just taking longer these days to get many things done.
so i though i'd start a little early this year so as i dont kill myself in the process.
wood harvesting alone is a bit of work, if you've done it you know what i mean.

then thers the supplies as well food and other things.
we it's it's a bit to do. so when do you start winter preps?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: trying to get ready for winter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
Wood harvest is a spontaneous thing.  Tree falls over we cut it up.  Was it dead? If yes then it goes into the burn pile, if no, then it goes in the drying pile.

Around here the only big food harvest of note is deer and we have to go with the State seasons and hope to fill the tags we have.  Chokecherries are ready to pick next week I think from looking at them yesterday.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
Well we talked this morning about canning, berries, and such Mikey.  Closing up the cabin is always a little sad.  Guess we need a little place down here for a quick get away.  I'm going to look into smoking fish.  I had a friend who had a friend who had a son that was a little slow.  But he could throw a cast net like nobody's business.  He would set up a roadside stand to make some bucks.  Shrimp was everybody's favorite but smoked mullet was the main fare.  But he struggled with spelling.  So his hand painted sign read, "Smocked Mullet".  Someone let the cat out of the bag and he just drew a mullet with a Tutu on it.  I still laugh at that.  Wasn't that dumb after all.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »
Wood harvest takes place during hurricane season.  Still burning Harvey.  Might have to burn a little Irma toward the end of winter though.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Well we talked this morning about canning, berries, and such Mikey.  Closing up the cabin is always a little sad.  Guess we need a little place down here for a quick get away.  I'm going to look into smoking fish.  I had a friend who had a friend who had a son that was a little slow.  But he could throw a cast net like nobody's business.  He would set up a roadside stand to make some bucks.  Shrimp was everybody's favorite but smoked mullet was the main fare.  But he struggled with spelling.  So his hand painted sign read, "Smocked Mullet".  Someone let the cat out of the bag and he just drew a mullet with a Tutu on it.  I still laugh at that.  Wasn't that dumb after all.

My mullet man just opened up his road-side stand this past weekend. He's been selling in the same lot for at least 30 years. He'll be out every Saturday from now until December. Picked up three nice big smoked mullet and Stacy made her awesome smoked mullet dip. Served it as an appetizer with some Salmon and Chicken Thighs I smoked.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
Not much to do here to get ready for winter except change the lightweight bedspread for a heavy comforter and it's way too early for that.  I switched from wood to gas lags in the fireplace over ten years ago.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
Actually that topic came up this weekend. It is almost time to put in our fall garden, get wood for my mom's house and the like. It was 100 degrees today but fall is right around the corner. We like to fill up the pantry and freezers, pre-pay bills, etc.
Nice matters