Author Topic: Mildew? $400 garage sale gear for $20  (Read 332 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Mildew? $400 garage sale gear for $20
« on: July 28, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
I think I scored big on this new Jansport backpack. I don't know what the name of it is. It's bigger than my Peregrine. I think it might be 70L. On top was a tent and inside was a compression sack. All for $20.
I got home and found a EMS large (one) 2 man tent. The compression sack has a REI down 25* long 30"x90" mommy bag.
I think the tent might be a total loss. It's got stains and a lot of stink. Too bad because it's not that old and set up nice. I may try washing it twice, once inside out with some athletic stink detergent. It rained a little while I was airing it out. I got the fly thrown over it in time so no rain got inside.

It's starting to fluff back up. It doesn't smell too bad. No stains or tears anywhere.

Big pack.The top and bottom are separated, Might be my only complaint, except it stinks too.

If you are still reading I'd appreciate any cleaning tips. Also I bought a military canteen stove from an army/navy surplus store. My canteen cup doesn't fit inside. It's a WWII original canteen and cup. I tried bashing it in to reshape the aluminum Stove but it didn't work. Any ideas there too?

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
Re: Mildew? $400 garage sale gear for $20
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
try mixing up some hot water and baking soda in the tub and soaking the tent & pack in that, then rinse them off and let them dry out in the sun.
that should destroy any mildew smells without hurting the fabric or any water repellent coatings.

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
Get as much into the washing machine as you can. Hot water, 2 or 3 cups of 20 Muleteam Borax and loads (a whole box) of baking soda, along with laundry detergent. Lots of agitation and soaking. Spin it out, look for stains, use a scrub brush with  borax, baking soda and hot water into the stains, return the whole thing to the washer like before. It will take some work, but it will come out.
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
JeffG I have a whole box of borax. I'll have to pick up some baking soda. Is that borax down friendly or should I get the real Nikwax down detergent to be safe. I understand you were referring to the tent and backpack in your post, Just curious about the down.
1066vik, I'll try that easy route first, Thank you.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
borax is down friendly - so is white vinegar, which also kills mold spores and deodorizes.
maybe run the bag through a load with borax and a second time with 1/2 cup of vinegar.

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »
^^^ Borax is down friendly. Vinegar is a good idea too.
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
Thank you!!! I'll post results.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »
I washed the tent and rain fly in borax and baking soda. They came out smelling like clean laundry although the darker stains remain.

The backpack was washed with other clothes in borax and purex laundry detergent. It came out very clean and small free. The stitching or the nylon let go at the seems at the top of the two covers. I'll put it back together with some zig zag stitches and a new backing.

The sleeping bag simply aired out and smells fine. No body odor, mildew, or Stains.