Author Topic: Hey wolfy! Time to Trade in the Hog?  (Read 310 times)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Hey wolfy! Time to Trade in the Hog?
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:39:09 AM »
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/livewire.html?source_cd=SEM_Retention_PPC&_cr=ppc|Google|Future_Vehicles|Electric_Motorcycle_Brand|harley%20electric%20bike

LOL.  Go ahead.  Gun it a few times.  Vroom vroom.  Or rather wee wee. Bwahahahah!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:00:33 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: Hey wolfy! Time to Trade in the Hog?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »
The torque of an electric motor exceeds anything internal combustion. The battery technology is getting so much better now. We have gotten into graphite now in RC cars. If they last longer than lithium it's going to seriously change the world.
I love the "engine" battery bank that makes it look conventional. Still, charger time and ability??? That's the glitch over a gas fill up.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:46:15 AM »
That was a half hearted joke.  I just don't see Harley riders warming to an electric motor.  Apparently "mountainbikers" (and I use that term loosely here) are buying electric assisted mountainbikes though.  Who knows?  If I see Hushnel or Animal on an electric Harley, I'll be a believer.  He's gonna kill me for that blaspheme.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »
The Harley riders I know, those who would walk before they rode on anything else, wouldn't ride that electric bike unless they put clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »
LOL i used to use ballons but they didnt last long,

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
LOL i used to use ballons but they didnt last long,

Fortunately,  I fail to have a visual and audio of you riding something that balloon farts.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
That was a half hearted joke.  I just don't see Harley riders warming to an electric motor.  Apparently "mountainbikers" (and I use that term loosely here) are buying electric assisted mountainbikes though.  Who knows?  If I see Hushnel or Animal on an electric Harley, I'll be a believer.  He's gonna kill me for that blaspheme.

I get the joke. Millennial's though, very likely.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
I really hope Animal doesn't read this...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Poor Harley.  Using a engine designed in 1914 or so and updated as best they can their sales are in the tank.  The core market and the yuppie fringe market are shrinking fast.  The younger folks coming up to bat ain't going for motorcycles the way our generation did.  It is too bad in a way but if they are going to survive long term they gotta sell a lot of bikes in Asia and India.  Those won't be 750 pound plus V twins. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 04:15:25 AM »
I remember carrying a tool kit to tighten nuts and bolts on my Sportster regularly in the 70's.  I still loved that bike. Worst decision I made was selling it and buying a red and white Triunph 650.  Second worst was buying a Plymouth when that Triumph died.

I see a lot of older bikers on big trikes up in western NC in the summer.  Of course, we get every size and shape of bikes down here near Daytona.  I made a promise to Kelly and her family to never ride again after spending 3 months in the hospital and 3 months at home with a bed pan.  Another 6 months to learn to walk without a limp.  That was in the 80's.  It's with mixed feelings that is one promise I've kept.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:29:12 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
Motorcycles get in your blood and it is very hard to let them go.  I went for sometime without a street bike but finally had to have one.  It is likely my last fling with two wheels and I am enjoying it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:14:34 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »

Not a fan of the electric assist mt bikes.
Nice matters

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

LOL.  Me neither.  I felt guilty riding a ski lift to ride a downhill course.  But DANG! 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
I'm just finishing up my morning tea then down to the workshop to fire up the FXST I've been riding for 44 years.

Sorry I failed to contact you Max, Animal passed away last November.

No excuse, except I was so pre-occupied with my mothers declining health. She passed this last February exactly 65 years and 15 minutes from the day I was born.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
I'm sorry my friend.  RIP Animal.  He was always nice and respectful to me.   I did know about your Mom.  I know you have a close family.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
Yeah and the Animal was part of it.

For those who don't know the Animal he was a long time friend, he was Bi-Polar, he spent most of it un-medicated.

When we first bought the farm Animal stayed on the property while I finished my last 6 months of work 440 miles south. I moved every thing up to the farm on weekends with the pickup and trailer. I had no worries of the house being broken into with Animal on the farm. He also converted the brick open building with a metal roof into a workshop.

Animal had a rough time he worked as a bouncer in NYC, he was also the Sgt. of Armes of the NYC HAMC, think Sons of Anarchy except a real world wide MC. He'd start talking about those days and I'd just shut him down, I didn't want to know.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
I saw only the good in Animal.. I'm not ignorant about his past.  But like you,  I didn't need to know.  I never felt unsafe or threatened at your place around him.  But he was intimidating at first for sure.  Hush, you have a place in Heaven already, but maybe you'll get a little special treatment because of your kindness to Animal.  He needed it.  Good job.

Another affirmation.  We're here for a reason.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
Sorry for your lost of Mom and good friend Hush.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
Thanks Brother.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 05:23:15 AM »
Well damn Mike.  I was not aware about your Mom or Animal.   We are only 40 min apart. 

Online Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 06:00:26 AM »

LOL.  Me neither.  I felt guilty riding a ski lift to ride a downhill course.  But DANG!

Lol, my first time doing ski lift rides was on a hardtail, after that ride got my first fully suspended bike and holy cow. Those downhill runs can be no joke, i saw someone break a stumpjumper frame, not suspended. Those downhill runs can be scary fast and out of control. Man to be young again.
Nice matters

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 06:20:52 AM »
I kept my ears open for the Kamakazi young bucks doing light speed down the trails. I was sloooooooow.  I may never get on something like that again.  Old bones take forever to heal.  But like so many things in my past,  can't do anymore but glad I did.  I still have a Surly Instigator hardtail in the shed set up for downhill.  My ride nowadays is a Giant Anthem 29'er.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
 Sorry for your losses Mike.