Author Topic: Sourdough starter  (Read 691 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Sourdough starter
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:27:49 PM »
  It's been a while since I baked except for biscuits and the occasional Smoke Walker recipe Chocolate cake,  I've never been more than ok at bread baking, but do love good fresh baked bread, so every once in a while I run across a recipe on line and just have to give it another try,  usually with not any more success than the last time.
  This morning I woke up with the urge to Bake some bread,  full well knowing that I shouldn't get my expectations up I started to search for how to recipes hoping to come across something that might make a difference in either my methods, choice of ingredients, baking temps, anything that might help.
  As it turns out I did find a few helpful tips that made a big difference,  my biggest problem was getting my bread to rise while baking, the other was getting a good crumb, my bread usually comes out dense, the taste is usually good but the texture was lacking,  one of the reasons was the way I was measuring the flour,  I didn't know about aerating my flour,  I usually dug into the bag of flour, scooped up a measuring cup of flour and dumped it in my mixing bowl, sometimes I sifted it when called for.
  What I learned is that if you fill a measure with hard packed flour you're getting allot more than the recipe calls for, if you sift your flour you get less than the recipe calls for, either way it's going to affect the finished product, this morning I mixed up a No knead Turbo bread being sure to aerate my flour properly and was rewarded with a full loaf of great tasting bread with a good crust and great crumb texture.

But this thread is not about this mornings bread, it's about getting a simple and easy recipe for a good Sourdough Starter,  again, turning to U-tube and the inter web,  about all I got was confused,  first off most of the recipes I ran into were from Canada, the EU, or Australia, all required a food scale and the amounts given were in grams and ML, or Liters,  I don't like conversing with anyone about food or business that has a heavy accent, call me a bigot if it makes you feel better, I really don't care,  about every time I or the wife calls customer service for just about anything we end up with someone in Pakistan or India,  they think they can talk English, but they can't.
  Many of the recipes were way too complicated or labor intensive to be worth the trouble,  Kent Rollins has simple recipe, but it makes enough to cook for a full crew of cowboys every day for a week and then he throws it out at the end of the week and starts a new batch,  If I knew anything about Sourdough Starter I wouldn't be asking for help,  but I'm pretty sure that there must be a simple recipe out there that only has a few ingredients that everyone has in their pantry and only need attention a few minutes a day until it's done, and then it can pretty much take care of itself after that,  or am I wrong ??? ?       

Hey Wolfy !

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Sourdough starter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »
I believe Hushnel has some about 300 years old (ok that's a little exaggeration) in his fridge.

Yellow Yak is our Kracaneuner baker master.

Sixfooter has a recipe for everything from moonshine to Moonpies. I'm sure he has sourdough starter down pat.

If you don't get any satisfactory hits in this thread send some pm's. They're all very friendly helpful guys.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
I used some Bobs Redmill rye flour and filtered water in a jelly jar. I had to try more than once. I mixed it to be somewhere between pancake batter and biscuit dough and put the lid on loosely. Put it in a warm cupboard for a spell. Checking everyday for it to rise- iirc 3 days and it was good a bubbly looking. Then for a week or so I'd remove half and add back more flour and water and stir it up. As time passes you ought to get more and faster rise from the fermentation- also it goes from a slightly bad smell to a very nice smell
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:43:44 AM »

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
Yeah. But if you have high quality flour and do not bake tons and tons of bread- feeding a quart of Starter with 1 cup a week is imo a bit wasteful. One can make the way with a couple tablespoons instead and much smaller jar.  :shrug:  it's pretty fun regardless. Fermentation is the best
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:25:25 PM by Unknown »
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown