Author Topic: Dewalt Portaband & Swag Stand  (Read 891 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Dewalt Portaband & Swag Stand
« on: August 30, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
My latest "shop gear" is this Dewalt portaband and the Swag saw stand.

A friend told me he uses his as much as anything in his shop. I've looked at bands saws but didn't want a cheapo and didn't want to spring for a high end metal saw. I've only had this set-up a couple weeks and wonder how I got by without it. It cuts bar stock knife steel, brass/copper/stainless guard material, pin and tube stock, handle material, etc. Just today, I've profiled blanks from 1/8" and 5/32" O1 steel, cut walnut blocks (natural and stabilized), ironwood burl scales. brass and stainless pins/tubes, and cut a sheath pattern out of plexiglass. It gets a  :thumbsup:
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: Dewalt Portaband & Swag Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 04:22:40 AM »
I've been using mine for years.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:24:03 AM »
I should add - after that video, I have never used the foot pedal.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
I have a gazillion year old Craftsman bandsaw that won't die.  For my meager needs it works just fine but I like that Dewalt unit. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
That's one of those tools you look at and think, "I wish I had a need for one of those."
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Another great video, Crash. That might be the first time I saw the Swag table...can't remember for sure. I wish I'd bought it a long time ago. I found a foot pedal switch a lot cheaper on Amazon so I got it. I use a strip of velco to hold the saw's trigger down. I didn't get the cutting guide; guess I can get it later.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)