Author Topic: Fresh  (Read 267 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Fresh
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
Friends are good.

We have some with big gardens.  They pass on their surplus to us.  Last week it was summer squash and cantaloupe.   This week it's grapes and pears.

Cinnamon pears.

Yumm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Fresh
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
We just got a huge batch of fresh okra from one of my wife's clients.  So much so that we gave 2/3 of it away.  Can't beat fresh veg and fruit.

We had Kieffer pear trees in the yard when I was a kid.  They weren't much for eating out of hand, but mom sure could make some great pies with them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
We had a bumper crop of zucchini this year.  People run the other way when they see us drive up to their house.  We have wore our welcome out with a vegetable. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
Now and then we have so many fresh eggs I eat them even if I don't want to.  I guess that's not a bad thing.

They don't peal well hard boiled.  Poor us.  LOL.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
I give away lots of eggs to friends, family, Liz's coworkers, and a few of her customers.

If you want those boiled eggs to peel easily, Tony, let'em sit in the fridge for at least a couple weeks before boiling.  It's the only way I've ever found to be able to peel boiled eggs easily whether they were from my chickens or store bought.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 03:58:25 AM »
That's one I haven't tried.  We might need a dedicated egg fridge though,  LOL.  I've tried the ice water dunk and the vinegar water for boiling. 

I wonder why having chickens isn't at the top of the list for SHTF preppers.  It probably is in the "in the know" prepper circles.  " So would you like some oatmeal or fresh eggs, honey?"
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »

Hey Tony, the trick is to peel them before boiling,  my wife bought me a dozen "Eggletts" egg cookers,  wonderful invention,  just a quick spray of cooking oil, crack the eggs and pour them in an egglett cup, screw the lid on and put them in boiling water for about 10 minutes, then take them out of the water, let cool a few minutes, unscrew the lids and pop the finished hard boiled eggs out easily.
 Last week I made two dozen pickled eggs in about an hour start to finish including cooking time, no peeling and no mess. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Moe, great tip!  I'll get some eggletts.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:57:11 AM »
Moe, great tip!  I'll get some eggletts.

We eat a lot of eggs, a dozen and a half last about a week in our house between breakfast, egg salad sandwiches, and baking,  I use hard boiled eggs for pickling and in potato salad as well,  I've tried a lot of different "tricks & Tips" for easy peeling and they are all hit and miss,  I think it depends on the age of the eggs, and even the breed and health of the chickens they came from.
 What works well today sucks tomorrow, the nice part of the eggletts is they work all the time every time, the only draw back is you get an egg with a flat side, but if you pickle eggs you can stuff a few more in the jar,  something that helps taking them out of the cup when they are done is to use a table spoon and run it around the edge of the egg then under the egg, it breaks the vacuum between the cup and the egg and lets it slide out easily.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.