Author Topic: Gun Safety  (Read 712 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Gun Safety
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
I guess he won't be doing that again!   :rofl:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »
Had not seen that one.  Somebody put that kid up to doing that I think but it is funny and everytime I watched it was still funny. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
Had not seen that one.  Somebody put that kid up to doing that I think but it is funny and everytime I watched it was still funny.

Sounds like Mom was taping it.  Yeah,  there was some prompting.  It just fit so good into the meme.  Bad Mommy!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
When I got my first bb gun I took it out back to shoot. After awhile I got curious so I took off my boot and shot the toe. All it did was dent the leather, so I put the boot back on and shot myself in the foot. Man it hurt, I turned around to see my dad looking out the window at me shaking his head. He still laughs hard thinking about it. I remember having the gun taken from me for awhile but my dad insists he didn't. He said that is a lesson I only could teach myself.
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
Yeah Orbean,  I got a BB gun (Daisy) one birthday. I was out shooting cans or something.  My brother was out waddling around in his diapers.  They were sagging badly.  I didn't like him.  Still don't. But I just couldn't resist the urge to shoot him in the butt.  It was a good shot.  The screaming/crying wasn't something I anticipated.   Dad came out,  grabbed the gun,  and broke it to pieces on the fence.   
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 10:25:04 AM »
That's a funny video!

Hey Tony, my first Daisy met a similar fate. My brother, two cousins and I all took turns shooting each other in the rear end with it. We figured if everyone shot someone else then none of us would get into trouble. Well the younger cousin told his mom. We were right, we didn't get in trouble... Dad just broke the BB gun in half.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
 Sarge,

Well I got in trouble.  I left out the horse whip part.  Dad was Marine.

He certainly made an impression on me... literally. 

Lesson learned for a lifetime. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:49:47 PM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
When my brother and I were kids, I had a Crossman air pistol. The one that looked like a 1911, a single spring cock; shot BBs, darts and pellets. We called it the Bag Bagger, because it wouldn't go through both sides of a paper grocery bag. For fun, I put on my heavy winter coat, and he was going to shoot me in the back, to see if it would hurt. (I know!) At the last moment on the driveway, with my back turned and my coat pulled up to hide my head, I said, "Not on the butt!" Guess where brother shot.... That BB stung!
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 04:54:49 AM »
Man,  I was worried about taking flack about shooting my brother in the butt.   Apparently  I was not alone.  That was a different time and space.  We'd all be in juvie if we pulled stunts like that today... or court ordered counseling.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
This took place in the early 60's.  I was on the receiving end, and not the giving end (sometimes the bad end to be on).  I can say with authority that a "strike anywhere" match head placed in a 22 pellet rifle will ignite as it exits the barrel.  It will burn through a pair of jeans.  It will put a blister on your butt.  Just sayin.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
My cousins used to engage in BB gun wars. Usually in colder seasons so the makeshift armor was more appropriate. I don't know the weapons or rules exactly. Likely same as dirt clod fighting. Me? I still know the exact cost of 1965 Int'l Scout wing window in 1976 dollars. It wasn't cheap looking back now.
One day, I had an empty box of Daisy BB's we tried to use as a target- mostly because of the bullseye on the box. The wind kept blowing the box over. Giving, helpful, trusting as I am/ was I offered to hold the box upright so my buddy could have a decent shot with my gun(he had none) with my index finger pointing down to hold the center of the box on the fence, my buddy aimed a lil high, but not so far to the left as his usual mark. Dang that hurt
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
This is a bit off of the original subject but relates to what happens when things go wrong.  I had two memories about weapons as a kid.  First was a .22 single shot bolt action that my dad bought out of a magazine ad about 1955 for about $6.00.  He took me out to a lonely spot along the railroad tracks (about 100 yards from where we lived) and was going to let me shoot it at a tin can.  The stock was too long for a 7 year old kid so I had the stock under my arm and my cheek up by the bolt.  The bolt was one that after you inserted the bullet and closed the bolt you had to cock the firing pin by pulling it back until it locked in place.  I did that okay but when I aimed the damn thing my cheek was against the bolt and when I fired the gun the bolt pinched my cheek, didn't fire, and I let go of it, all while yelling at the top of my lungs.  I ran around with my dad trying to catch up and get the bolt off of my cheek.  He did but it left a blood blister that I still remember some 65 years later.  Never shot that rifle again. 

Later a neighbor kid (we lived in a different town then) got a bow and arrow for his birthday.  His brother wanted to shoot it but the kid wouldn't let him so after some yelling and stuff the kid shot at his brother with the bow and hit him in the eye.  He lost his eye.  The kid got a glass eye out of the deal and sometimes would take it out and show us the hole.  A eyehole ain't a pretty thing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
Good stuff, my friend. Tragic, And yet being so far removed, humorous.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »

Later a neighbor kid (we lived in a different town then) got a bow and arrow for his birthday.  His brother wanted to shoot it but the kid wouldn't let him so after some yelling and stuff the kid shot at his brother with the bow and hit him in the eye.  He lost his eye.  The kid got a glass eye out of the deal and sometimes would take it out and show us the hole.  A eyehole ain't a pretty thing.

That's exactly what happened in my neighborhood "gang" when I was pretty young (pre-farm days).  The guys were shooting arrows over a garage and Ed lost his eye.  And he would gross kids out with his glass eye.  We never had a problem with girls trying to hang around with us (cooties) when Ed was there.  He could send them home crying.  We loved that.
Hunter S, Thompson