Author Topic: Denali Tundra Hike  (Read 1288 times)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
Denali Tundra Hike
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »
After years of yearning, I finally got my chance to visit Denali National Park and explore the tundra.  To me, hiking on tundra feels like walking on a trampoline.  If you have hiked on tundra, how would you describe it?

The ground was carpeted with blueberries and lingonberries.

I also brewed some Labrador tea.  I'm not usually a tea drinker.  But I loved this tea after a long hike on the tundra.

During my hike, we also had a surprise animal encounter.  I didn't expect to see an American black bear in open tundra.  They usually prefer the nearby boreal forests.

Here are some more pictures from my hike with additional detail about the plants and animals I saw.  There's also a full account of my a surprise animal encounter.  It was touch-and-go for a bit.

https://www.natureoutside.com/denali-tundra-hike/

- Woodsorrel

The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Denali Tundra Hike
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
Thank you much for that!  Thoroughly enjoyed!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it, imnukensc!

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »
Let's see,  hiking on a trampoline with basketballs and yoga balls underneath.

Thanks for the post.  Brings back memories.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
Let's see,  hiking on a trampoline with basketballs and yoga balls underneath.

Thanks for the post.  Brings back memories.

Haha!  That's a great description, madmax:D

We did have a hiker take a spill after stepping on a tussock.  It really was like walking on yoga balls.

- Woodsorrel

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Alaska is one of those places of extremes.  We were really happy or we were really miserable.  No in between.  I'm glad we did it in our youth.  It would be a different experience at 60 yrs.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks Steven.  Quite interesting photo essay and I appreciate your text, well written and informative. 

My experience with Tundra is limited to the high altitudes in Colorado.  It is much shorter and the trampoline effect is missing.  It is probably more fragile simply due to its shortness.  Ptarmigan there are white tailed and there are lots of Pikas and Big Horn sheep with goats in some areas.  Marmots are plentiful too.  Like a lot of things in Alaska the vegetation up there is much denser and seeing the difference is interesting.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:26 AM »
Nice trip!  It's always nice to check off a destination on the wish list.  Glad you made it happen and thanks for the pics!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/