Author Topic: Subscription boxes. Anyone try one?  (Read 205 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Subscription boxes. Anyone try one?
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »
My wife ordered me a couple of the crate club boxes. The first one had a tinder tin and some water bladders. Not totally awesome but not bad. The most recent one (from a different company) had a UST striker, a paracord bracelet with a ferro rod buckle that also has a whistle and a compass, 2 "ok" china made knives, a little push dagger made to attach to MOLLE webbing, and an AK47 bullet shaped ice cube tray. Not terribly high end but a lot of fun to open up and mess around with it.

Have any of you done the subscription box thing, and if so, how do you like it?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Subscription boxes. Anyone try one?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »
I sort of live in a box I guess.  Never heard of this.  Got a link PW?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
I've never done a subscription box.  I'd rather go out and buy the things I actually want than to end up with a bunch of stuff I'll never use.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
I'm very tempted to try one of the tackle box subscriptions like mystery tackle box or similar.  Haven't done it yet cause I usually know what I want/need so i just go buy it.  but using the stuff I wouldn't normally pick out is kind of the idea.  I do think they're a good idea to keep motivated to get out and try things.   
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:54:51 PM »
The subscription boxes look like they would be fun. Kind of like ordering from the back of the cereal box when we were kids. Include a couple box tops and 50 cents and then wait to see what would show up.
I think i'm with IMNUKENSC in that I'll just wait and get what I need. I've already got to many duplicates of to many things. Until I need it and then I can't find either one. :shrug:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:24:52 AM »

I know a guy who's a sucker for subscription boxes,  so far he's ordered fishing boxes, bushcraft boxes, and meal boxes,  he never been really burned by them, but he admits you don't save any money in the long run, don't get the best of gear, and while the food boxes are top shelf and time saving, they are expensive.
 Personally I'm in the same camp as most of you,  getting a mystery box may be fun, but it's over too quick for what it costs,  I'd rather save my money and buy the best of just what I need.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
I've never done a subscription box.  I'd rather go out and buy the things I actually want than to end up with a bunch of stuff I'll never use.

I have to agree with this...

As a FedEx driver, I deliver all those boxes each week. I guess that if a person has the money to throw away, go for it...
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...