Author Topic: Benchmade Infidel OTF automatic  (Read 521 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Benchmade Infidel OTF automatic
« on: October 04, 2018, 04:50:13 AM »
yeah,  not really a bushcraft knife, but it's SO sweet.   Picked it up NIB from a nephew for $100.   They sell for over $400

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Benchmade Infidel OTF automatic
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
Very cool.  And a great deal!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 04:13:24 AM »
Carry extra band-aids.....just saying.

Cool knife though.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:35:59 AM »
I think I'd carry OTW.  Unless you need an appendectomy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:39:18 AM »
it's actually pretty safe.  Any pressure against the knife tip when deploying,  stops the action.   It won't, for example,  push through a beer can.  The blade just stops. 

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
A couple years ago, before I retired. I had a deputy sheriff stop by the shop for a repair to his patrol car. As I was working he was playing with his stiletto. Flicking it in and out. I used a folder with an Emerson wave. It's a little hook on the back of the blade that catches the edge of your pocket as you withdraw the knife and causes the blade to open and lock in place as it clears your pocket. I use a pocket clip and a lanyard. My little finger hooks the lanyard and pulls the knife as the index finger guides the back of the knife, ensuring the hook engages the back corner of the pocket.  Back then, it was in and out of my pocket maybe a hundred times a day and I was very well practiced. He had been watching me use my knife for maybe 20 minutes as I worked on his car.
As he practiced with his knife I told him "Race ya"
He said "Sure."
We both took a ready stance and drew.
It was kind of like the old showdown at high noon, but with a decidedly friendly bent.
I was blade open, locked in place, and presented before he had even extended his blade.
Mine was a daily use tool and his was a novelty.
I've got one of those spring operated jobs tucked away in a souvenir box some where. Bought it overseas back in the '70's.
I thought it was neat when I was 19 or 20, but it was not reliable and you could never count on it to deploy and lock in place every time.
If it didn't lock open, then you really had to fiddle with it to get it into the locked open or locked closed position. It was just an all around pain in the neck. So into the souvenir box it went. It's kind of neat to show the grand kids and they ooh and ah. And then I tell them it's a restricted weapon in some areas and they can't have it.
Thanks for posting. It brings out some good memories of years gone by.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »
Those are a no-no here unless you are a first responder, police or fire dept. Okay in NM but in Albuquerque they are taboo
Nice matters

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
I am not there.   😜.   Florida is much more ?knife friendly?.  Never liked ?first responder? restrictions.  The thought that those folks are special, or more responsible rankles me.