Author Topic: Hurricane Michael  (Read 160 times)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Hurricane Michael
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Looks like Michael will be rowing ashore into the old Republic of West Florida. How far do you have to go to find high ground from the storm surge? Gonna be some hatch battening and sail furling goin' on? Best of luck to guys down there.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Hurricane Michael
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
I'm clear in Northcentral FL. Rain and wind. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
Michael's aftermath in FL looks like Homestead after Andrew.  Stunning.  Blocks and blocks of buildings gone.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
I guess it doesn't do much good to batten down the hatches when your house is swept off its moorings and foundered. Thoughts and prayers to the people of Mexico Beach, Fl.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
We've bugged in all the hurricanes in the last 40 something years.  BUT we are right in between the gulf and the Atlantic.  Our elevation is around 300 ft.  Our house is made of hard pine 80 years old.  Odds are stacked in our favor.  If we lived on a coast that was even maybe gonna take a hit we'd evac.

I feel for the folks with pets that need to get out but can't find a pet friendly shelter.  They are stuck.  Our county animal shelter filled up with other shelters' animals quick on this one. We aren't going anywhere without Max.  But we don't need much to get by.  Atlanta opens the speedway for campers.  Free with hot showers.  6 hrs away IF you evac before the madding hordes.

A note... sometimes just going north isn't going to be much better with the wind and spinoff tornados. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:58:32 PM »
Damm, those pics of the storm damage are surreal. We had a big fire here a couple of years ago and help was need to get animals out. The look of worry on peoples faces stuck me. If I had to evacuate my dog would have to go or I don't go.
Nice matters

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
I hope all you folks in the crosshairs are safe!  Looks like another bad one.  At least here in Idaho we don't have to worry about hurricanes!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »
Michael made the old-fashioned, garden-variety F5 NEBRASKA tornado look like the proverbial 'fart in a whirlwind!' :shocked:    Makes me believe IT'S NOT TOO BAD here, after all. ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
Michael made the old-fashioned, garden-variety F5 NEBRASKA tornado look like the proverbial 'fart in a whirlwind!' :shocked:    Makes me believe IT'S NOT TOO BAD here, after all. ;)

Well the scope of the destruction of a big hurricane is stunning.  But I rode out a tornado in a root cellar in IL when I was young.  We got a glimpse of it roaring across a corn field towards us.  As they do, this one was a near miss on our land,  but destroyed our neighbors operation.

I'd rather not experience either again.
Hunter S, Thompson