Author Topic: Need help with Fallkniven TK3ic - Desert Ironwood  (Read 961 times)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
Need help with Fallkniven TK3ic - Desert Ironwood
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:30:51 PM »
Hi Everyone,

After years of yearning and saving, I finally purchased a Fallkniven TK3.  I got the new TK3ic, which has desert ironwood scales.  I love the idea of having a Fallkniven made with a beautiful and durable handle material that is native to California, my home.

I received the knife last week.  It's beautiful.  But I noticed something odd.  The knife is laminated (VG2-SGPS-VG2).  And the lamination lines are very different on each side of the blade.  On one side, the lamination line is approximate 3 mm from the edge.  It runs parallel to the edge until it meets the spine near the tip.  On the other side, the lamination line is approximately 5 mm from the edge.  It runs parallel to the edge.  But near the tip, it curves outward toward the tip and does not meet the spine.

This is different from my F1, where both lamination lines are identical.  So I Emailed Fallkniven.  Here is their reply:

... The final step in using laminate blades is that only when the blade is fully polished we discover where the lamination lines are. Faulty blades are always rejected but blades are kept as we consider this as a cosmetic detail with no negative effect on the blade performance. Should we use only 100 % perfect blades, our knives would become extremely expensive.

I am OK with this explanation... as long as he is correct that it will not affect the performance and durability of my knife.  Can some of the blade makers on the forum weigh in on this.  Is this purely a cosmetic issue?

Thank you for the help.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: Need help with Fallkniven TK3ic - Desert Ironwood
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
I understand your disappointment. I believe their explanation. If you were to grind the spine until the lam line met, or grind off some of the VG2 overlay on the offending side until the line moved to where you wanted it- either, I think, would "fix" it.
  But you don't need to do either. The good stuff is still in there. There is just a smudge of extra VG2 covering it at the tip- that's how I see it anyway.

Is you F1 also 3G? If so you know how good it is. Congrats on a gorgeous knife, I've always admired the TK3
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
Thank you for the explanation, Unkown!  It's nice to know that it's only cosmetic.

My F1 is the VG10 version.  I've used it for years and am very happy with it.  It's like an extension of my hand.

- Woodsorrel

The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
I think the explanation they gave you is probably correct but if you are unhappy with the cosmetics you will have a tough time being completely happy with the knife. That lamination line will always be other than you wanted.

Assuming you can return it I would do so.  Then buy one in person where you can examine the blade or at least talk to the sellers of those blades and tell them what you want and what you will not be happy with.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »
Thank you for the advice, wsdstan!

I'm really not bothered by the lamination line from a cosmetic standpoint.  The rest of the knife is gorgeous.  But I just want to be sure the knife will perform well and be durable.  I envision gifting it to the next generation of my family one day.  I want to make sure the quality of the blade is good.  If it's purely a cosmetic issue, I'm actually very happy with the knife.

Like me, it lacks somewhat from a cosmetic standpoint.  Perfect.  :)

- Woodsorrel

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
I am glad you are happy.

Here is a review of the knife that shows the laminated 3G line very well.  Look at around 3:30 to the early 4:00 mark.  This is what I would have expected to be sent. 

Apparently they won't allow it to be copied Woods sorry for that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:47:57 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Wsdstan, I was unable to use the link to watch the video.

I've received some feedback from others, and I'm uncertain how happy I am now.  They suggest that the difference in lamination lines may be due to off-center grinding, and that one layer of VG2 may be thinner than spec.  They also suggest that I should expect more for the price of this blade.

I'm uncertain what to do.

- Woodsorrel

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
are you happy with it?
if yes, then enjoy your knife.
did you buy it to carry and use?
if yes, then the cosmetic issue won't hurt anything - the VG2 is there as a way to cover the less rust resistant core, and it doesn't mater how thick or thin it is.
did you buy it as a collectible?
if yes, then trade it in on a more symmetrical one.

if your happiness depends on someone else's opinion, you've already lost.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Woodsorrel,

I am in that crowd, the ones who think on a plus $200 knife the lamination steel should be a lot better. The video you can't see shows a sample knife from them (the same one you have) that is perfect.  The lamination is the way they are supposed to be and it doesn't run out before it gets to the pointed end. 

I would send it back and tell them to send you one that is correctly ground or send your money back. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »
This knife will be a user.  So minor cosmetic issues aren't a problem.  But at the same time, I would like to own a high quality knife for the price I paid.  I want to be proud of my knife.

I just found an additional irregularity with the knife.  I don't know if it is cosmetic or more serious. 

I examined the edge and noticed an additional irregularity at the base of the blade. On one side, the edge is uniform. On the other, it appears "pinched" at the base of the blade (I don't know the right term). Is this also cosmetic? Or does it indicate that this blade is just not ground very well and I should return the knife?

Here is the good side. The edge is very uniform near the base of the blade:

On the other side, the edge is "pinched" toward the base of the blade. Here are two photographs:

Is this also a cosmetic issue? Or should I try to exchange this knife for another?

I appreciate everyone's help. I'm still trying to figure out what to do.  I am now leaning toward exchanging the knife.

- Woodsorrel

Offline RangerXanatos

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Great Sexy Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Looking at Falkniven's page, they would charge $287.72 USD (exchange rate according to Google) for your knife.  For that amount of money I would expect something a lot nicer than what they sent to you.  I would exchange it.
"What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying 'I am?'"
~Rocky Balboa

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
Steven that is not an acceptable edge on a new knife.  It could be sharpened out easily but this knife should never have been sold with an edge grind like that, at least it is not something I would accept.
(Mark Twain)

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »
Tough call, WS.  In reality, the knife is probably fine and even if I knew that with 100% certainty, I'd probably return it and get a replacement.  The little inconsistencies would just niggle me to no end.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »
I think you should send all the pictures to Fallkniven and ask them if they really consider this blade 1st quality, because the lamination and grind lines aren't even.
at their price point, I could consider forgiving one or the other, but not both.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's helpful opinions.

After careful consideration, I've decided to exchange the knife for another.  I'm hopeful the new knife will be better.

- Woodsorrel

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 11:06:11 PM »
Looking at Falkniven's page, they would charge $287.72 USD (exchange rate according to Google) for your knife.  For that amount of money I would expect something a lot nicer than what they sent to you.  I would exchange it.

I agree, if it is something you are questioning, at that price I would exchange it.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 05:09:59 PM »
Count me in as a member of the 'me, too' movement, also. :shocked: :lol:    I've kept an item or two that I wasn't completely satisfied with and always regretted it.  You end up seeing only the flaws (no matter how small) instead of the merits......and it never goes away.  For that kind of money they should be able to deliver. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
I don't know what ws paid, but I doubt it was full retail... ya didn't did ya woodsorrel?
  Which might be what you'd do at a brick and mortar hands-on, eyeball selection rare-purchase...

I tend to agree that two blemishes are a bummer, especially if the extra fee of return shipping can free all buyers remorse. Its not mine and I'm only looking at pictures, but the first one bugs me more than the second. But with the name of Super Gold Powder Steel, correcting the inconsistency on your hone is none too easy.

Woodsorrel, you have some excellent photos there. I am somewhat surprised by the width of the secondary bevel you show so well. Does the TK3 not share the convexity of the F1/TK2? As a folder I could understand why. Maybe there is none(flat) or a little(pretty flat) geometry to the grind? your pics made me go look at my tk2 and there is just the shimmer of microbevel. Much closer to the "flawed" section in width, so I figure the geometry is just way different.

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
I don't know what ws paid, but I doubt it was full retail... ya didn't did ya woodsorrel?...

... I am somewhat surprised by the width of the secondary bevel you show so well. Does the TK3 not share the convexity of the F1/TK2? As a folder I could understand why. Maybe there is none(flat) or a little(pretty flat) geometry to the grind? your pics made me go look at my tk2 and there is just the shimmer of microbevel. Much closer to the "flawed" section in width, so I figure the geometry is just way different.

Unknown, I did not pay MSRP for the knife.  But it was still a pretty penny.  :)

And I had the same question when I saw how the blade was ground.  I assumed it would be a convex grind, but I hadn't given it much thought.  It looks very flat to my eye.  But I am not an expert.

I agree with wsdstan, wolfy, Orbean, and others who suggest I exchange or return the knife.  This is a knife I hope my family will inherit.  I don't want to have misgivings about the blade.

I decided to exchange it for another TK3ic.  This is an Internet purchase, as there are no local dealers who carry them.  The vendor has been accommodating.  But I still had to pay the return freight.  That discounted price isn't so discounted anymore.  :)

I wish I could hand-select the knife myself.  I spoke with the vendor and gave them a short checklist so they can inspect the new knife before they send it to me.  I never thought I'd need to specify a quality-control checklist for a Fallkniven!

I'm hopeful that the new knife will meet my expectations.  I've wanted to own a TK3 for years. 

I also want to express my appreciation, once again, to everyone who helped me reach a decision that I'm comfortable with.

- Woodsorrel

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »
Any production knife in that dollar range should be better than as described here.  I would prefer a custom knife.