Author Topic: Flu Shot or Not?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Flu Shot or Not?
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
My wife is still teaching so she gets one.  I get one in case she drags some home with her.  Plus there's the dentist office, doctors office (s), grocery store, etc, etc. 

This year's vaccine is supposed to be better than last year's.  It's not only free for us,  but Publix gives you a $10 gift certificate if you get it there.  So why not?

I've got a few camps before the first of the year and I don't want to ruin what might be the best camping season for me in years.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Flu Shot or Not?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »
I would never even THINK of not getting the annual flu shot. :P     I just got mine day before yesterday.....they are FREE for all us geezers! :banana:     From what the PA told me, they think they've nailed the virus this year. :spider:       Even if there's another virus that comes into play that this one doesn't protect you against in totality, the severity of the symptoms that go along with them all are not as bad.  Seems like a no-brainer to me, since the flu is already in our area. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
Just remember it takes about 2 weeks to get all the benefits.  I'm going to get the shingles vaccine too.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
I've never had one. However; I did have had the influenza once. I see it as a challenge, a test of ones immune system and hygienic practices.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »
Just remember it takes about 2 weeks to get all the benefits.  I'm going to get the shingles vaccine too.

Good idea!  Take it from a shingles 'veteran'......you don't want 'em! >:(    The flu vaccine just became available here last week, I KNOW because I went to the clinic and requested it week before last. :shrug:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
I've never had one. However; I did have had the influenza once. I see it as a challenge, a test of ones immune system and hygienic practices.

I got the flu 5-6 years ago.  I ran a 101-104 degree temperature in the evenings for 4 days, could barely breathe for a week and couldn't cough any of it up.....thought I?d reached the end of my rope.  Never again, if something as simple as a flu shot will keep it at bay or help relieve symptoms! :-\

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »
I don't discourage my Parents from theirs. I'm super-young early 50s. 4 days sick is like a vacation and the soups...I'll usually fake sick to get my wife to make me a real deal bone broth chicken soup
   I let her think it works like magic
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »

When I had the annual "wellness physical" the Medicare pays for my doctor said I should get the Shingles shots (there are two of them now given about a month apart).  The old shot was only 50% effective and the new one is supposedly 70% effective.  At $178 per shot which medicare doesn't cover it ought to be a bit better than 70% effective. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
I work with the public so I get a flu vaccine every year. I still get the flu every couple years (had it back in March) but I believe milder symptoms, quicker recovery and so on.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
I'm lucky - my employer offers us free flu shots. 

I also asked for the Stupid Vaccine.  But my employer says it wouldn't work for me.  :)

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
There ain't no vaccine for stupid.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »
I know it sounds kind of silly, but take a walk through the older part of a cemetery and note the headstone's from 1918 -1920.
Real eye opener about the flu. Entire families wiped out. Ask your county public health people what they would do if another one like that hit the U.S. and watch them turn pale. We've gotten by for a hundred years without a serious deadly pandemic. Our health system is a lot better than it was back then and a lot of the credit goes to the plumbers for keeping us healthy, but I think the flu is not to dismissed as trivial. If we don't learn from history ---- :shrug:

Sarge - I took one of those vaccines for stupid when I was about 15. Took almost a decade to get over the side effects. Wife says I still have lingering symptoms from time to time. :)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »

We have a bell in the kitchen we call the "Ding Dong" bell.  Do something stupid and you have to ring the bel.  LOL.
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »

We have a bell in the kitchen we call the "Ding Dong" bell.  Do something stupid and you have to ring the bel.  LOL.

We had one of those, but had to get rid of it.....the complaints from the neighbors became too overwhelming. :rolleyes:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
With privacy concerns, one can say whatever one wishes, eh(?)... how can the general public confirm what is printed?
  You cannot confirm. So please do- go along with a fear based campaign compelling you to act> and feel good about it!
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
last time i got the bug i layed in bed and sweatted it out.
lotta tea and jewish pennicillin (chicken soup with the smaltz.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
I get one every year. During tax season I handle all kinds of paperwork so it is best to get one.

Edit: Used to be against them but keeped on getting the flu. One year it knocked me down for a week, during tax season and i felt it for three more weeks. I am thinking i was in my late twenties and healthy as a horse. It took a long time for me to snap but i am glad i did. Have not had a bad flu for a while now (knocking on my head) knock on wood. Lol
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:43:11 PM by Orbean »
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
2 hour wait on my scheduled flu shot.  That poor nurse was trying her best.

They can't even get the shingles vaccine right now.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
Haven't gotten the flu shot yet.  Will do that next week.  Have gotten a flu shot every year for at least the last 25 years.
Got the new shingles shots earlier this year.  After getting the first you have to wait at least 2 months to get the second.  When it was a little past 2 months after the first shot and about time to get the second, I had read somewhere they were having trouble keeping up with the vaccine and it was in short supply.  Called my pharmacy and they said, "We have 3 left." I said, "The wife and I will be there in less than 5 minutes."  We know friends who have had shingles.  It wasn't nice for them---and still isn't over a year later.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:14:25 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
Public person or not, think of the contacts that you never think of...

door handles
gas pumps
gas station toilet paper
plate and silverware at the restaurant
your own mailbox handle
beer glass
church
Wal Mart (achoo!)
shopping carts
a handshake
paying your taxes at city hall
voting....and every swinging one of you had better vote!

Enough said, be safe, be well.  8)
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
of COURSE you should get the flu shot.  No negatives.  Only someone sadly deluded by nutter crap would say otherwise.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
of COURSE you should get the flu shot.  No negatives.  Only someone sadly deluded by nutter crap would say otherwise.

:thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
I got one about ten days ago so a few more days and it takes hold they tell me.  I have gotten one every year for the last twenty five or thirty with only one year where I got sick as a dog.  My doctor at the time told me it was because I already had the flu, it just had not shown up yet.  I think he was right.   :shrug:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
no one has ever been injured by a vaccine
https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/data/index.html

They're  just nutters, liars with a strong desire for compensation with greedy lawyers ready to assist :) :shrug:
  Only question is am I referring to the victims or pharma

Me? I'll continue to rely on my genome
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 05:14:24 AM »
laughing.  Good luck with that   :)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Thanks for the well wishing Mann. It's all about perspective. There are thousands of bugs to give one some flu-like symptoms; thousands of them.  Seeking some form of outside protection from 3-4 of them holds little fascination or worshipful sense of duty from me. A lil suffering does a body good

Read that headline again- it says nothing. First child death of the flu season, or something like that. Was it? What was the first day of that season? People, young and old die almost every second of every day. But, none of them die specifically from the flu virus. Was it the article or only Max that said the death was from the flu, I don't recall now. If you click on one of the links in that article, there is clarification on this point.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 04:50:31 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:56:03 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
I read about that yesterday, but as it states in the text, it is not a substitute for the shot.  It is more of a way to alleviate the severity of the flu symptoms if you think you are coming down with it.  Good to be aware of, though.....just in case the present vaccine does not cover this year's strain and you feel you might be getting it despite getting the shot. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
That's what I took away from it wolfy. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
I should see where to get one.  I've never had a flu shot but I turn 50 next year.  Nothing magical about that and of course young healthy folks get it too, but I'm not as strong as I used to be, probably won't shake it off like I did when I was young and immortal.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
I should see where to get one.  I've never had a flu shot but I turn 50 next year.  Nothing magical about that and of course young healthy folks get it too, but I'm not as strong as I used to be, probably won't shake it off like I did when I was young and immortal.

Why aren't you listening to me? At 50, how many flu have you had? Really... not just when you called into work because everyone else had been sick too....
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »
I hardly ever miss work but I've had a serious flu a couple of times.  Once when I was young (like 14) I probably should have been hospitalized but I stayed at home.  About as sick as I've ever been.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
I hardly ever miss work but I've had a serious flu a couple of times.  Once when I was young (like 14) I probably should have been hospitalized but I stayed at home.  About as sick as I've ever been.

You are 50 and got sick 1 time. Good. You've had one good fight champ. Why buy a promise of peace and happiness. You gonna die next time... oh wait... how many pills you got?

Are you one of those 50 pounds overweight, never moving except from chair to table / trough to bed types?
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »

You can get a flu shot at any nearly any pharmacy or health department.  There have been several days in my area where the health dept., hospitals, pharmacies, churches, etc. were giving them for no cost.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »
Almost all the Same places that push Halloween candy- which is better?
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »
Probably the best thing would be for you to get the flu and just STFU----on any topic.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
Probably the best thing would be for you to get the flu and just STFU----on any topic.

You are a dumb ass tractor salesman. Have you ever even read a book? You are the only one here that talks with the lame cussing of  stfu and says childish like phuck

go off  and breed another son and sacrifice him to your stupid ideology you skin bag of worms

I'd venture to say that you Nuke, have never created anything or even attempted anything interesting in your whole wasted life. Your post history reflects that. All you ever do is agree with a popular opinion and beg for a pat on the back. Go to church and rescue some Haitian children or whatever makes you feel good and leave me alone, you stalker weirdo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:36:47 PM by Unknown »
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »

You are a dumb ass tractor salesman. Have you ever even read a book? You are the only one here that talks with the lame cussing of  stfu and says childish like phuck

go off  and breed another son and sacrifice him to your stupid ideology you skin bag of worms

I'd venture to say that you Nuke, have never created anything or even attempted anything interesting in your whole wasted life. Your post history reflects that. All you ever do is agree with a popular opinion and beg for a pat on the back. Go to church and rescue some Haitian children or whatever makes you feel good and leave me alone, you stalker weirdo

Skin bag of worms----I like that.  Have another drink or ten, Unk.  It does a liver good.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
I've had that checked too bro. And guess what? Fully functional and absolutely heathy. Thank you for the well wishes. Maybe someday you can have a vacation too. There's another difference between us; a brief period of suffering does not frighten me. I had a cold, even a tummy ache. It got better and went away.
 I cannot be like your self image- I'm not perfect for you without blame or blemish. I did not come here to make you feel good about yourself, relive your tensions, or appease your desires

You've blocked any pm from me quite awhile back so obviously you have no desire to speak with me- why insist on doing this here in public? If you do not leave me alone, I shall taunt you a second time.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »
Maybe if you fill this out and send it to PW it'll help with that chapped ass of yours.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
Well this is regrettable.

For the record, my entire family is vaccinated. We haven't contracted the flu in years, or polio either.