Author Topic: Rendezvous Gurus. ?  (Read 418 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Rendezvous Gurus. ?
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
  I just got a nice 12' by12' tarp with all the tiedowns.  Kelly came home and kept saying, "What's that smell?"  I didn't smell anything. 

"What's it smell like?"

"A fart."

She was thinking it was Max, but it was a different odor.  Now she knows if it didn't smell like that before I got in, it would in a minute or so after.

I hung it out today but it still smells.

I paid a good chunk of change for this tarp.  I don't want to wash it and ruin it somehow.  Do you guys wash new canvas or let it wear off?

Thanks   Tony
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Rendezvous Gurus. ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »

It's my experience that if you wash a treated canvas or any tap that is treated with water repellent or fire retardant with detergent it'll break down the treatment.
 However,  most folks that I know that have received tarps, tents, or clothing that have unusual smells or storage odors hang them in direct sunlight and open air for up to a week or two, the smell usually goes away permanently.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Tony my experience mirrors what Moe said.  I just hang it up for a week or less and it doesn't smell after that.  I have done it with skunk sprayed clothing too and that only takes about four days to get the stink out.

Hope you get it smelling like a rose.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
Remember those heavy military wool blankets that Wilderbeast was selling here a few years ago?  Those were some of the most malodorous things I've ever encountered. :puke:  I let mine air out on the deck railing for a good solid month before Heather would even let me bring it into the garage! :lol:    It hung out for over a month in the sun, rain and even some snow before it finally became tolerable.  I can still get a hint of the scent its former self, but it isn't NEARLY as bad as it used to be. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 04:59:45 AM »
Great!  Thanks guys.  I kinda figured as much.  I'll hang it back up for awhile. 

My first 'vous I had one set of gifted clothes for 8 days.  I didn't notice the smell until I got home and unloaded.  Man, they were ripe.  LOL.  My shirt sorta dissolved in the wash.  Me stinky man.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
I kinda like that we have evolved from the 1700s.   😜

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
Kelly would agree with you.  She gives me one raised eyebrow more often on 'vous gear than she does on guns.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »
I got a whiff of an Amish woman at a flea market last week.  She was a young girl selling baked goods.  I have bought from her booth before but this time there was a body odor there that would have knocked a buzzard off the fence at the garbage dump. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
Poor thing.  She might have missed laundry day.
Hunter S, Thompson