Author Topic: Tuning up the Dutch Oven Recipies  (Read 1127 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Tuning up the Dutch Oven Recipies
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:10:53 AM »
Chicken and Dumplings.  This was made with Bisquick.  I think I like homemade dough or the cheap Pillsbury biscuits in the roll cut into 1/4's.  But we ate seconds.  LOL.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Tuning up the Dutch Oven Recipies
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Deep 12?  :shrug:     Beautiful dumplin's......wish we had 'smellavision!' :drool:

BTW......we had 2'' of snow here night before last. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
Yeah we stuffed ourselves and had a ton left over.  Some will go over to Kelly's Mom.
Working on a banana cobbler or an apple crisp later today.  I'll see how ripe the bananas are when Kelly gets home.

I lost my copy of the Scouts Guide to DO cooking.  I kept thinking it would show up.  But no.  I'll order another today.

Nighttime temps range around 70.  Days can get over 90 still.  Our morning hike is very pleasant.  Looking for oaks that'll work for my 'vous tarp.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
Beautiful dumplin's......wish we had 'smellavision!'

Can't you smell them Wolfy? Man, I sure can! Great job! ;)
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Looks great Tony, great job.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
Dayum, those look good.  You will be eatin' high on the hog with those. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
You've been holding out on us.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »
I tried a new banana bread recipe yesterday.  It's more like a banana cobbler. 

Man.  Parchment paper is my friend.
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
I am going to try a recipe that was in Southern Living's website for buttermilk biscuits.  It uses parchment paper.  Never used it before.  I will do the first one in the oven as it is currently both windy and cold in these parts but if it works well I will try it in my DO when it warms up. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Stan I used the 12" parchment paper.  Next time I buy it I'm going to get 18" if I can find it.  My banana cobbler spilt over a little. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
I just finished my first try with the parchment.  We had sheets of 18" that covered the baking sheet end to end.  Just lucky on that. 

This recipe is simple,  2.5 cups of self rising flour (or add baking powder and salt like I did), 1 stick of frozen butter grated into flour, 1 cup of buttermilk.  Stir the mix 15 times.  It is sticky!  Roll out and fold four or five times.  Cut biscuits and put them touching on the baking sheet with parchment.  475 F for fifteen minutes.  Brush with butter as they are cooling. 

They came out pretty well, taste good to me. 

Next up we will use the dough in the DO.  Maybe in a week or so.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:09:33 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »
Those look great! 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »
BISCUIT TIP TRIVIA:  When preparing to make rolled-out &  'cut,' rather than 'drop' biscuits, push straight down on the biscuit cutter, rather than using a twisting motion.  The biscuits will raise higher while baking if you simply push the cutter instead of twisting it. 

I credit both Heloise and grouchy ol' Chef Palmer for that simple tip. :thumbsup:

BTW, nice lookin' biscuits, Stan! :drool:   You and Jeremiah both make damn good biscuits. 8)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 12:13:46 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, I had two more for lunch and even got my wife to eat one. 

The Southern Living video mentioned that no twist when the lady was pushing her little metal biscuit cutter into the dough.  She also said that by making the 5 folds you insure a flaky biscuit. 

I gotta season my DO today.   
(Mark Twain)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
Those look great!

Thanks Tony.  Appreciate that.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
I like that frozen butter thing. There's a cleverness there.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
I don't think I have cooked anything in a Dutch Oven in a year.  Darn.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »

I use parchment paper a lot when cooking or baking, mostly for biscuits and pizza,  most parchment paper manufacturers have a printed warning (suggestion) that parchment paper should not be used at temps over 420* F., I have been baking my biscuits, breads, cakes and pizza at 425* without any problems, however, I have pushed the temps to 450* for pizza and have gotten some browning of the paper,  I once cranked the oven to 500 for pizza and the paper under the pizza was showing signs of browning (burning), the pizza did taste a bit different, and the edges of the paper not covered by the pizza fell apart when touched like burnt paper.
 I use parchment paper when baking my no knead bread in a covered Dutch Oven at 450* and the paper shows signs of browning, I'm assuming because it's at it's limit of operating temps.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
The biscuits I made @ 475 F did brown the edges of the parchment a bit Moe. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I guess I don't understand why one would use parchment paper when baking bread? :shrug:   When we finish baking a loaf of free-form sourdough bread or a batch of biscuits in a bake kettle  8) there's never anything left in it to indicate anything had been baked in it at all.....other than a crumb or two, maybe. :coffee:    I don't recall Wishbone ever using it on the trail drives. :lol:

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
I used it because the Southern Living recipe said to use it.  It does, in the case of cookies, pies, and other things that leak, or have oil in them make cleanup easy when using aluminum pans or steel cookie sheets.  Not so much with biscuits but I tend to follow instructions most of the time.

It isn't really useful in cast iron except you could, I think, make a peach cobbler in your DO without it being baked on when your done.  Of course that is just in case your seasoning has worn thin in a couple of places.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:37:29 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 06:16:36 AM »
Stan, cobblers are exactly why I use parchment paper.  That and casseroles.  The cleanup isn't that hard even without the paper, but it's so easy to use why not?  My banana bread/cobbler turned out very wet and I'm glad I used paper with that.  I'm going to try bread in my #6 in preparation for solo at the 'vous.
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: , yep it is good stuff.   You can write on it too.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
I guess I don't understand why one would use parchment paper when baking bread? :shrug:   When we finish baking a loaf of free-form sourdough bread or a batch of biscuits in a bake kettle  8) there's never anything left in it to indicate anything had been baked in it at all.....other than a crumb or two, maybe. :coffee:    I don't recall Wishbone ever using it on the trail drives. :lol:

It's a Dutch Oven,  it used to be a bake kettle, now it's a Dutch Oven.  (don't be a trouble maker)

Wishbone never baked a loaf of bread or worked a trail drive.  (he was a cute bearded comic character on a TV show)

I use it because it negates any clean up, and it helps to lift a hot loaf of bread out of an even hotter cast iron pot without burning your fingers.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Stan, cobblers are exactly why I use parchment paper.  That and casseroles.  The cleanup isn't that hard even without the paper, but it's so easy to use why not?  My banana bread/cobbler turned out very wet and I'm glad I used paper with that.  I'm going to try bread in my #6 in preparation for solo at the 'vous.

Tony, when baking bread at the rendezvous just be sure that your parchment paper is made from animal skin like our Declaration of Independence is written on, instead of its modern counterpart, or you will surely incur the wrath of the dreaded 'Zombie Thread Counters!' :lol:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »

Tony, when baking bread at the rendezvous just be sure that your parchment paper is made from animal skin like our Declaration of Independence is written on, instead of its modern counterpart, or you will surely incur the wrath of the dreaded 'Zombie Thread Counters!' :lol:

Hushnel warned me at my first rendezvous about the Thread Counters and the Dog soldiers... it's all about timing.  LOL.  Maybe I can get comfortable going naked dutch oven on the bread before then.  I'll probably cheat on the cobblers though. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »

It's a Dutch Oven,  it used to be a bake kettle, now it's a Dutch Oven.  (don't be a trouble maker)

Wishbone never baked a loaf of bread or worked a trail drive.  (he was a cute bearded comic character on a TV show)

I use it because it negates any clean up, and it helps to lift a hot loaf of bread out of an even hotter cast iron pot without burning your fingers.

I won't dispute any of that......EXCEPT that last sentence.  :duel:      As you stated in your previous post, your pizzas and sourdough loaves, which call for very high initial temperatures, come out tasting ''a bit different'' and the burned parchment ''fell apart when touched like burnt paper'' when trying to lift the pizza from the vessel.  That reportedly occurred at an estimated 475* for the relatively short period of time it takes to bake a properly done pizza crust.  Since a decent freeform sourdough loaf requires an initial baking temperature of 500* to get the 'oven spring' needed to get the bread to rise properly and the texture desired, the effects of that much heat for an even longer baking time would weaken the paper so much you'd never be able to use it to lift a loaf from the oven without the paper disintegrating..... plus, the bread would taste like burnt paper!  :puke:

I could see why some people find it useful for cobblers, sugary cinnamon rolls or fruit pies that sometimes leak their contents onto the floor of the oven and make a mess, but when high baking temperatures are required and burnt paper starts flavoring the goodies we bake, I call FOUL! :stir:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »

I won't dispute any of that......EXCEPT that last sentence.  :duel:      As you stated in your previous post, your pizzas and sourdough loaves, which call for very high initial temperatures, come out tasting ''a bit different'' and the burned parchment ''fell apart when touched like burnt paper'' when trying to lift the pizza from the vessel.  That reportedly occurred at an estimated 475* for the relatively short period of time it takes to bake a properly done pizza crust.  Since a decent freeform sourdough loaf requires an initial baking temperature of 500* to get the 'oven spring' needed to get the bread to rise properly and the texture desired, the effects of that much heat for an even longer baking time would weaken the paper so much you'd never be able to use it to lift a loaf from the oven without the paper disintegrating..... plus, the bread would taste like burnt paper!  :puke:

I could see why some people find it useful for cobblers, sugary cinnamon rolls or fruit pies that sometimes leak their contents onto the floor of the oven and make a mess, but when high baking temperatures are required and burnt paper starts flavoring the goodies we bake, I call FOUL! :stir:

LOL, no need to resort to blades old pard, just a little misunderstanding, I said I got burned paper and a bad taste when I cranked the oven to 500*F.,  I don't see any need for extreme baking or cooking temps, most of my baking is done between 350* and 425* with good results.
  I bake my pizza on a stone or sheet pans in the oven, I preheat the oven to 450* then turn it down to 400* when I put them in, I don't get burned parchment paper or any taste from the paper,  and bake breads in a Dutch oven, again, I preheat the Dutch oven to 450* in the kitchen oven before putting the bread in parchment paper into the Dutch Oven, then turn the oven down to 425*, the only browning of the paper happens to the paper that hangs out from under the lid,  the bread browns well and what ever paper that's inside the oven doesn't brown or impart any taste to the bread,  I bake my biscuits at 450*,  the parchment paper just barely shows browning, but the taste is not affected .
 If I'm baking sweets like cobblers, sticky buns, and such I usually do it in a well seasoned cast iron skillet without getting sticking or making a mess,  I do line my cake pans with aluminum foil and give them a spritz cooking spray,  I find there's no mess and I get less browning of the sides of the cakes and less doming of the tops. 

Online crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:26 AM »

Hushnel warned me at my first rendezvous about the Thread Counters and the Dog soldiers... it's all about timing.  LOL.  Maybe I can get comfortable going naked dutch oven on the bread before then.  I'll probably cheat on the cobblers though.

If you are naked while you are cooking in your Dutch Oven trust me.....none of the thread counters will bother you. :sarcasm: :doh: :puke: :rofl:

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
sadly,  I don't even know what a thread counter is

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
sadly,  I don't even know what a thread counter is

Lets hope you never meet one.