Author Topic: Ka-Bar BK62  (Read 366 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Ka-Bar BK62
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
I ordered a first production run BK62 when it was released last week.

I whittled a little maple from the yard and used it in the kitchen a bit, My first impressions are very positive. The weight, balance and in-hand feel are very close to the original Colclesser. I believe machining double convex bevels would have been cost prohibitive so it is a full flat grind with a little relief at the spine. Blade has a nice stonewashed finish - very smooth and clean with no coating, no grind or machine grooves. Knife and leather sheath are made in the USA.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
Re: Ka-Bar BK62
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »
mine should be here tomorrow -- fingers crossed!
how close is the weight to the ones you're making?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »
Where did you guys get them from.....and how many frogskins? :shrug:    I might get one, just for giggles, but those handle bolts look like warts on the nose of a pretty woman! :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
Hey vik, they weigh in at 5.5 oz. - same as the Colclesser. Mine end up a little heavier.

Wolfy, smkw.com has them for $119 w/ free shipping this weekend.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
I have been following the news about this knife.  After reading about it and seeing photos of the finished product I would think it will be a good knife but I would rather have the one I got from Sarge.

If I was going to buy a knife for someone as a gift it would sure be on my list.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »

Wolfy, smkw.com has them for $119 w/ free shipping this weekend.

That might be more than my curiosity could stand. :lol:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
Well, I'm embarrassed to report that my curiosity got the best of me and I went ahead and ordered one of Ethan's BK62 Colclesser/Kelphart clones.    Here's a photo of them both together........

https://images52.fotki.com/v1639/photos/2/3811772/16042716/OldandNew-vi.jpg

As you can plainly see from the photo, the copy is very well done for a production blade.  I took measurements off the one I got, so you can get a better idea of what you wil get if you order one.

Handle: 
Material: Straight grained walnut
Length: 4.44"
Thickness at pommel: .635"
Thickness at pinch/balance point: .595"
Thickness at finger guard: .759
Width at pommel: 1.62"
Width at pinch/balance point: 1.10"

Blade:
Thickness at ricasso: .150"
Thickness at tip: .035"
Length: 5.17"
Width: 1.55"
Beveled dual top swedges: Tip to very near the handle......nice touch!
Beginning of taper: 1.35" from tip
Finish: Stonewashed
Grind: Flat, straight, with tapered full tang

Sheath:  Leather, pouch-type, welted, sewn & riveted, one piece with sewn leather belt loop and plastic inner-liner/stiffener surrounding the blade portion of the knife.

Overall impressions:  For a production representation of an actual Colclesser/Kephart clone, I think it is nearly a dead-on copy......EXCEPT for the grind, of course.  The edge grind didn't LOOK sharp when I took it out of the box because of the coarse scratches left on the edge from the final factory edge finish, but after a quick pass over the polishing steel it passed the paper test and forearm shave with ease.....I was amazed! 

The sheath was actually pretty decent.  It's getting better now, but VERY snug at first.  They made a mistake (as far as I am concerned) when they sewed the belt loop to the body of the sheath and there's no way of correcting it without tearing the whole thing apart.  The stitching should have taken place just past the handle and underneath the plastic liner.  As it stands now, the nylon stitches end up right where the raised finger guard sits in the sheath and are not nestled into a stitching groove.  It's not only a wear-point for the stitches, but also the finger-guard ridge on the side of the left handle scale.....I can see where the sharp edge of that ridge is already rounding off a little on mine.

The Allen screw bolts and nuts were already loose on my handle when it came out of the box.   They always were, and always will, remain butt-ugly to my eye.  I don't know why they did that on THIS particular model, especially!   Simple pins would have looked and performed better, been a whole lot easier to clean up and even cheaper for the manufacturer to build.  The wood needed a little light sanding and I rubbed in a couple of real light applications of a 50/50 mix of Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil & mineral spirits.  I think that helps seal the grain and fill the open pores a bit without adding too much shine......enriches the color and moisture resistance, too.

The knife works just as well as I suspected it would, but cannot come anywhere near the quality & performance that Sarge builds into his fully convexed Kepharts.  For the jobs that turn up in our world of everyday bushlore-builds and camp cookery, though.....this knife is a sure winner!

WOLFY APPROVED!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:38:56 PM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the report.  The information follows what I have read about the sheath except no one had mentioned the wear point issue you bring up.  Others have commented on how good it is for a production knife and so forth.  I have been playing with Sarge's version this afternoon as it is too damn cold to go outside for someone my age and still won't buy one of them cause I already got the best one.

I can assumed from giving it the highly coveted WOLFY APPROVED stamp you would buy another one should the need arise?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
Sssshhhh......even though she thinks I just 'wasted' even more frog skins on ANOTHER knife, I think that Heather will end up getting this one for a Christmas present. O:-)     How cool is that.......TWO Kepharts in the same family! 8) 8) :camp: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That should even up the score for the Ken Onion version of the WorkSharp that I already know 'Mrs. Santa' is giving me this year. :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Careful with that Ken Onion thing.  You'll be sharpening everything you got whether it needs it or not.  Order extra belts now unless you got a source in your town.  Don't cut yourself either.

I bought a new knife the other day but ain't telling my wife until I sneak it out of the mailbox and into the pile of them on the work table.  I am hoping she don't know one from the other. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 06:05:01 PM »
She told me she already ordered 5 more sets of belts while she was ordering the machine on Amazon.  I've taught her well. 8)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Well there you go then.  Home free.   ;D
(Mark Twain)

Offline marchone

• Mill File
  • Always looking for good tools.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
I am almost embarrassed to say I have two knives and some watch parts due for delivery in the next few days while my wife is visiting her convalescing sister in Kansas City. I wonder how that happened?
Wayne

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
I was expecting a side by side with Mike's example and the '62 :-\ when I clicked.

Unfortunately I don't have enough money to spare for a BKabar right now. I hope they keep making them until I come up with a cash-rich scheme.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
Glad you got one, wolfy, and glad you like it. I agree with your impressions.

I haven't had much time to use mine yet.

Guys, our struggle is real... I recently moved from day shift to afternoon shift so I'm usually home in the mornings to receive - ok, hide - packages. I have to explain a lot fewer of my packages to my wife .... but, sadly, I learned she gets just as many deliveries as me.  :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 06:50:45 PM »
I am retired but so is my wife.  We just fess up at the beginning with what we bought and what is coming.  My wife is a good sport about it and she actually buys very little stuff, at least as far as I know.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
got my kabar bk62 - thinned some tung oil with citrus oil and soaked that in to seal up the grain.
out of the box sharpness it cut paper and made curly shavings on a scrap of kiln dried pine.
gutted and skinned a deer - then 3 days later, processed the deer, deboned, etc...
after that, it still cut meat fine, but would no longer shave hair off my arm so I spent 30 seconds on the strop with it.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »
deleted as it was already posted but didn't show up for awhile.  ?????
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
Yep, Stan, I was sorta kidding about our deliveries at home. Most of the packages addressed to my wife are for the kids. My wife has never counted guns and knives too closely and I don't count shoes and purses. Works out pretty well.

I rubbed a couple coats of Tru-oil on my 62 scales then knocked down the sheen with steel wool.

Congrats on the deer, vik!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
After a whole lot of wet sharpening at the hone, I gotta say a quick coat or two of CA glue beats true oil all day.
  Like t-o you can have a thick or thin coating; gloss or matte. CA dry time is in seconds, and the thin type penetrates and is pretty hard and moisture proof. More so than tru oil. IME.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »
thanks, Sarge - was just a little button, but he provided about 26 pounds of meat and I'm grinding 5# of bacon into it for fat content. (except the loins - those stay whole)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
After a whole lot of wet sharpening at the hone, I gotta say a quick coat or two of CA glue beats true oil all day.
  Like t-o you can have a thick or thin coating; gloss or matte. CA dry time is in seconds, and the thin type penetrates and is pretty hard and moisture proof. More so than tru oil. IME.

Yeah, I know, but my tube of superglue had turned to a crusty white mass.....but I DID have an old bottle of TruOil down on my loading bench.  Looks good 'nuff to me. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »
got my kabar bk62 - thinned some tung oil with citrus oil and soaked that in to seal up the grain.
out of the box sharpness it cut paper and made curly shavings on a scrap of kiln dried pine.
gutted and skinned a deer - then 3 days later, processed the deer, deboned, etc...
after that, it still cut meat fine, but would no longer shave hair off my arm so I spent 30 seconds on the strop with it.

Congrats on the meat-animal, Vik! :cheers:    I'm done with deer for the year, I think, but it sounds like the BK62 performed very well for you.  Sounds like yours was out-of-the-box sharp, too......it just might be the sharpest factory edge that I've ever recieved.  Good knife. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:17:08 AM by wolfy »

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »

Yeah, I know, but my tube of superglue had turned to a crusty white mass.....but I DID have an old bottle of TruOil down on my loading bench.  Looks good 'nuff to me. :shrug:
So true Wolfy. Tru oil is for resting on the shelf. Don't think I don't like it. TO is fine for its uses. But for a finish on knife scales it's the difference between a crank party line telephone and a cellular smart phone- yep! Use the one you have: just don't think the old one is better because you don't have the new one.

In general I was talking specifically without saying so.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
Thanks Wolfy - groceries are always a good thing.
I'm pretty happy with it for a factory knife.
Sarge's ARE better, but for half the cost the Kabar isn't too shabby.