Author Topic: Sheath help? odd knife...  (Read 180 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Sheath help? odd knife...
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »
I have the leather and artificial sinew even rivets. My problem lies in the shape and more important the fact it's handle heavy. I've tried couple of times and it just wanted to flop out. If I make a dangler I can't reach inside to grip the handle and pull it out.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a blade cover that snaps to the notch in the handle might be the best solution with a lanyard in the handle to carry.

I recently bought a worksharp grinder and LOVE it. Not the Ken Onion edition but it's still amazing. Now I want to carry this thing on every outing.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Sheath help? odd knife...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
I have the leather and artificial sinew even rivets. My problem lies in the shape and more important the fact it's handle heavy. I've tried couple of times and it just wanted to flop out. If I make a dangler I can't reach inside to grip the handle and pull it out.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a blade cover that snaps to the notch in the handle might be the best solution with a lanyard in the handle to carry.

I recently bought a worksharp grinder and LOVE it. Not the Ken Onion edition but it's still amazing. Now I want to carry this thing on every outing.

Judging from the picture this is not a big knife,  the sheath design of any belt knife is usually influenced by the shape and size of the blade,  In my opinion a simple pouch sheath made of 8~9 ounce veg. tanned leather that is wet molded to the knife and made to fit close and tight to the body would make for a nice EDC carry.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
I agree with Moe about a pouch sheath. Have a look at Grohmann Knives and look at some of their sheaths for inspiration.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
what type of leather do you have? new veg tanned, of recycled.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »
Yep, the way that handle is shaped near the blade, it should provide plenty of bite / retention if you wet form a pouch sheath.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
I bought a bag of micellanueos scraps from our hobby lobby.  So wet form it and leave an inch of handle above the sheath?

Thank you. I'll Check those sheaths out.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »
I bought a bag of micellanueos scraps from our hobby lobby.  So wet form it and leave an inch of handle above the sheath?

Thank you. I'll Check those sheaths out.

Got to be vegetable tanned or you won't be happy with it. 

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
The only leather I am aware of to avoid is chrome tanned leather.  Given where you bought the leather scraps/pieces you can do a couple of tests to see if it is chrome tanned or vegetable tanned. 

Here is a link to the tests:  The tests are towards the bottom of the page. 

https://woodworking.stackexchange.com/questions/2085/how-can-i-tell-if-leather-is-vegetable-tanned
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
cool. Definitely not veg tanned. It curled into a c shape, then straightened back out then sunk to the bottom.

So is this leather good for stropping material ? nevermind. just read the ending of that post...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Most times you can tell just by looking at it,  chrome tanned leather usually has a line of white showing between the layers of top grain and bottom grain leather at it's center.
 Chrome tanned leather can't be molded,  and if it gets wet it leaches out the chromium chemical and will rust your tools, also if you make mocs or clothing out of it and it gets wet the leaching chemical will burn sensitive skin.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
I've bought veg-tanned leather belly sections a few times at Hobby Lobby. They are about 12" wide and 3' long, come rolled up in a mesh bag. Really nice, pretty leather. The regular price is a bit expensive ($29 I think) but I've found them on sale for 40% off or you might find an online coupon for 40% off.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
Even you you pay a relatively high price for a small amount of leather and manage to make what you need- upon success; you'll be years, maybe a lifetime ahead of ever needing a new one.

The trouble, imo, with high price leather is the learning curve of learning leather. if you paid 10-12-15 or whatever it takes to buy a premium square foot of hide, then at least when done making any number of mistakes- you'd know what to expect.

If, on the other hand, you try to make things from bags of scrap all you may learn is why those parts of hide are scrap.

XJ. I do agree. Odd Knife. I don't share it often. But if that's what you like, and it works how you need> godspeed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:12:54 PM by Unknown »
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown