Author Topic: Finnish  (Read 61 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Finnish
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
A video

I think it would've been nice if there had been a recipe for Brimestone. Ric F. was named in a recent post. When I saw the knife master pouring the Brimstone; I was immediately reminded of his Cutlers Resin. Not exactly reminded in the sense of full recollection- I do remember frankensese (sp?) and iron filings.

I do think it is a hot-tip to use a red hot tip on the tang to punch through the birch bark hilt demonstrated. As well, when the seating of the pommel is shown, imho, it shows ( as I have stated previously) that the use of spacers or other hilt fittings were driven down to act as clamps. Also of note is the use of a knife and files to shape the hilt.

A studied smith would likely have some issues with terminology used in the forging, HT segment, but I am tending toward a problematic issue with translation.  Or it could be a matter of rural terminology not matching exactly with our bookish studies.

I'm going to look for the second episode. Hope you have opinions to share
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Finnish
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Interesting video.  My interest lies with the techniques that are very useful to see in both the construction of the knife handle and the making of the sheath.  I am particularly interested in the method they use to place the decorations on the leather as I have a large flintlock rifle sheath that I am going to decorate with plains indian patterns but the method the use in this video is worth considering I think.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)