Author Topic: My small Norlund hatchet and a damaged head from a flea market.  (Read 1024 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
I didn't like the small handle on my Norlund hatchet so I ordered a couple of new ones from House Handles in Missouri.  i was surprised at their low prices for handles compared to the ones available in my area but the shipping costs evened that difference out.  House had the size I wanted to try though and that size wasn't available in any of the local hardware or tool supply stores.

I use this Norlund for a kindling axe out in the wood pile and for splitting pelvis bones on deer once in awhile.  I soaked this one in Linseed oil for a day or so and the wedge is in pretty good, at least for me.

The axe head I picked up at a flea  market a couple of weeks back is too far gone for me to use it.  The eye is badly damaged from pounding on it and it is quite distorted.  Not sure what to do with this one as I am not skilled with using a forge and have another just like it that we use to cut small limbs off of tree branches. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: My small Norlund hatchet and a damaged head from a flea market.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
Maybe you could pound a steel splitting wedge in through the top of the eye and spread it enough make it work :shrug:     Some people really know how to screw up a tool, don't they? :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
Craig they really do know how.  Whomever beat on this one was probably trying to get the old handle out and they just beat it out of shape. 

I might try that.  If I can find a chisel the right size that might help a little.  I was thinking of just using it for a small splitting wedge itself. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:20:57 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:59:26 AM »
 Like you and Craig (most of us actually that have made it this far in life) I just hurt at the thought of not being able to save a vintage tool or other piece of gear no matter how neglected or abused it's been.
 Your axe head does have potential, at least that's what I see in the picture you posted, it is vintage so the chances are it's forged of decent steel, the bit looks like much of it's original shape is intact and in pretty good shape, and the poll could stand some file work but doesn't look too bad.
 If it were mine I'd spend a little file time on it getting rid of most of the mushrooming around the poll and what ever dings I could smooth out on the rest of it, then step back and see what I'm left with,  it's surprising what a little cleaning and reshaping can reveal, I've rescued a few decent axes and knives that at first glance looked like they were junk.
 As far as the eye is concerned (it doesn't look that bad in the picture),  if I could fit it with a handle I'd let it be, trying to open it up might result in a crack opening up, as long as it's not crushed, it should take a handle that's been whittled close to fitting to be forced into it, it may not look right or original when done (some folks would call it character) but it probably wouldn't affect it's performance.
 And if you find it's too far gone, at least you tried,  and please keep us in the loop, I for one am interested to learn if it can be saved or not.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:24:51 AM »
The eye is a lot worse than my photo shows Moe, it is pounded both inward and down.  I will probably mess with it a little and if it starts to come out I will post more about it.  I think it may have a future as a splitting wedge at this point. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
How 'bout eliminating the damaged portion completely?   Belknap produced a model very similar to yours that is straight on top with only the round bottom portion at the eye.  From the photo, it looks like you could modify it & almost completely eliminate the damaged section if the top of the eye was on a straight plane from the notch to the foot of the poll. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
You know Wolfy that is one of those ideas that makes you say "Dayum why didn't I think of that?"  I think it could be ground out down to the point where it is wide open again.  I will look at it.  Thanks.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
The eye is a lot worse than my photo shows Moe, it is pounded both inward and down.  I will probably mess with it a little and if it starts to come out I will post more about it.  I think it may have a future as a splitting wedge at this point.

That would be a shame, give Craig's idea a shot, sounds like it might work pretty well.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
Read my post above your last one Moe
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:43 AM »

Good man, waiting for the results.