Author Topic: Help identifying age and price of estwing hatchet  (Read 500 times)

Offline pegleg1412

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Help identifying age and price of estwing hatchet
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:32:04 AM »
I have a couple people wanting to buy my Hatchet today and I can tell they really want it. I don't want to get taken advantage of. Could someone give me a fair price for it. It's an estwing safe-t-shape. Nylon grip. Markings B E3-2H O or Q I can't tell. Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:32:14 AM by pegleg1412 »

Offline pegleg1412

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Re: Help identifying age and price of estwing hatchet
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:33:15 AM »
I just tried to add a pic. Would I see it too if I did it right?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:13:25 AM »

Most Eastwing hatchets aren't expensive when new, their basic models come with either leather washer type handles or blue over molded rubber type handles, the value of a used but serviceable Eastwing Hatchet is usually on a par with new hardware store hatchets from Ace, Lowe's, or Home Depot, usually under $20.00.
 In most cases they are worth more sitting in your garage or basement in case you ever need one than it's worth to sell it. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
 Pegleg your photo did not show up.  You have to use a photo hosting site and copy a link from there.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Apercula

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
I found an Estwing e3 2h carpenters hatchet on Amazon for about $40 new, $50 for the stacked leather handle version.

Offline Apercula

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »

Most Eastwing hatchets aren't expensive when new, their basic models come with either leather washer type handles or blue over molded rubber type handles, the value of a used but serviceable Eastwing Hatchet is usually on a par with new hardware store hatchets from Ace, Lowe's, or Home Depot, usually under $20.00.
 In most cases they are worth more sitting in your garage or basement in case you ever need one than it's worth to sell it.

My Estwing axe certainly has more sentimental value than monetary value. My great grandfather bought it when he was involved with scouting in 1940s, my grandfather used it when he was in scouting in the 1950s, my father used it when he was a scout in the 1960s.

Not bad for a 70 year old hatchet.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
Yes that one is nice.  Don't see many of the stacked leather handled hatchets anymore.  Mostly the newer ones with the synthetic handle. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »

My Estwing axe certainly has more sentimental value than monetary value. My great grandfather bought it when he was involved with scouting in 1940s, my grandfather used it when he was in scouting in the 1950s, my father used it when he was a scout in the 1960s.

Not bad for a 70 year old hatchet.

History is good, pass it on to your kids.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
Yes that one is nice.  Don't see many of the stacked leather handled hatchets anymore.  Mostly the newer ones with the synthetic handle.

I've got one with the stacked leather handle, it's pretty well used but still in good shape,  I also have three of their carpenter hammers with leather stacked handles, a 16 oz. straight claw, 16oz. rounded claw, and 20 oz. straight claw framing hammer,  I bought them new,  they aren't the most comfortable to work with, but they sure are cool looking.

LOL.