Author Topic: HOW TO CATCH, CLEAN & COOK A SNAPPING TURTLE  (Read 630 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
HOW TO CATCH, CLEAN & COOK A SNAPPING TURTLE
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:15 PM »
We used to have a member of our local muzzleloader group that worked on a bridge trestle crew for the railroad.  He was an avid turtle hunter and would supply all of the meat that 20-30 famished club members could eat at both our yearly rendezvous.  It was DELICIOUS! :drool: 

He always said he would bring a live one to an event sometime and demonstrate the art of cleaning one, but he died and took his secret method to the grave.  I found these two videos today that show how these guys do it and it sounds much like what he described to us. 

I'm going sparrow hunting with my Daisy Red Ryder very soon! :lol:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
Re: HOW TO CATCH, CLEAN & COOK A SNAPPING TURTLE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
That's some good eating right there! If you get bored with chicken noodle soup, make it with snapper. Great stuff.  :)
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
I have a lot of snapping turtles on my place, some big enough to do that with.  I have a mental problem eating them cause you ought to see what they eat around here, dead critters mostly.  I worked with a guy years ago who put them in a galvanized metal stock tank big enough that they couldn't get out and he fed them coffee grounds (I swear) for a couple of weeks.  Then he cleaned them and ate em'. 

I will watch these videos tomorrow when I have more time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:24:20 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:55:57 AM »
We have alligator snapping turtles.  They get as heavy as a man and there is a persistent story of a 400 lb'er that was caught.  The documented ones are big enough to take a hand or foot off.

A turtle was caught on one Pot and Machete Challenge.  Cleaned, boiled, and divided up.  No salt.  No pepper.  Water and turtle.  It was the worst thing we've ever tasted.  I'd rather eat Durian fruit (Think rotten onions served in old tennis shoes).

I have had good turtle at an old resturaunt once here in central Florida.  It was fried next to the alligator and frogs' legs.

I'll watch the vids just in case the opportunity arises again.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
Tony piqued my curiosity as to the differences between his Aligator Snapping Turtle and the Common Snapping Turtle that we have here in Nebraska. :shrug:   A YouTube search turned this video up....

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
 :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)